Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

22 Jump Street - I laughed a lot and thought it was better than the first one

Edit - Also tried watching John Wick but the wife lost it when 

the puppy got killed

and I had to turn it off

No, that did not happen, I haven't seen the movie and now I'm never going to, dammit. 

It's pretty much the impetus for the entire film, so yeah, the puppy dies.  That was clear in the trailers too.

• Like 1

Yet you can watch a billion humans die in movies. L0L

You guys do realize that a) the entire premise of the movie is that death right? and b) it's not REALLY dead in real life.

I never get the whining and crying and evilness of such reactions.

Who cares if a man is raped and killed at the same time. That is shruig worthy. But, that happens OMG THAT IS SO WRONG AND THE CREATORS ARE EVIL.

Pathetic.

My concern with certain movies is more the message they may send and how they do tend to influence certain social behavior.

So even though yes its just a movie there is still some possible impact to society

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Spoilers suck guys. A lot. Have some decency and follow ShadySands lead.

It's pretty much the impetus for the entire film, so yeah, the puppy dies.  That was clear in the trailers too.

Yet you can watch a billion humans die in movies. L0L

You guys do realize that a) the entire premise of the movie is that death right? and b) it's not REALLY dead in real life.

I never get the whining and crying and evilness of such reactions.

Who cares if a man is raped and killed at the same time. That is shruig worthy. But, that happens OMG THAT IS SO WRONG AND THE CREATORS ARE EVIL.

Pathetic.

It's not a spoiler, it is a revenge flick.  The trailer makes it very clear he is getting revenge for his dead dog and stolen car.  They show him burying the dog in the trailer.

http://youtu.be/2AUmvWm5ZDQ

Spoiler alert:  The boat sinks at the end of The Titanic.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

22 Jump Street - I laughed a lot and thought it was better than the first one

See, I found the main thing that had me chuckle was the repeated in-joke about dredging the past because there are no new ideas.

That and the whole Captains daughter moment.

I would say the bit I found most entertaining about 22 Jump Street.. was the end credits and the whole run through of sequels to 44 Jump Street.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I would say the bit I found most entertaining about 22 Jump Street.. was the end credits and the whole run through of sequels to 44 Jump Street.

Seriously, I needed to slow that part down, they went through a ton of gags in about 30 seconds, it was epic.

Hm, and on the idle movie news...

Apparently Edgar Wright is doing a steampunk Oliver Twist take..

TheMarySue - Edgar Wright : Steampunk Oliver Twist

Edgar Wright has apparently turned in a script for a steampunk Oliver Twist film, so we can all stop being sad about Ant-Man now, I guess.

Dodge & Twist is a sequel to Oliver Twist (for which Dickens fans have been clamoring for centuries, I tell you) set in a Steampunk universe. The script is an adaptation of New York Times Bestselling author Tony Lee’s novel, which has been described as “Oceans Eleven meets Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes,” so at least Guy Ritchie hasn’t gotten involved yet.

Dodge & Twist follows Oliver twenty years after the original Dickens, as he meets up with the Artful Dodger and plans to steal the Koh-I-Noor diamond from the Great Exhibition. There are ghosts and crime underworlds and it all sounds pretty great. Tony Lee is the same guy who wrote IDW’s Doctor Who comics and the graphic novel adaptation of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, so you know Dodge & Twist likely doesn’t take itself too seriously, and probably lends itself well to a visual medium.

If Edgar Wright decides to direct this (given that his script is a complete overhaul of previous drafts by guys from NBC’s Dracula and 127 Hours), we can only hope this means he’ll also choose to direct. Because seriously, can’t you see Wright doing something this out-there justice? And we just don’t have enough steampunk movies in our lives. And I’m a sucker for anything Victoriana. Okay, maybe only I want to see this movie.

Seriously, I needed to slow that part down, they went through a ton of gags in about 30 seconds, it was epic.

You can find it on youtube easy enough.

• Like 1

It's not a spoiler, it is a revenge flick.  The trailer makes it very clear he is getting revenge for his dead dog and stolen car.  They show him burying the dog in the trailer.

snip

Spoiler alert:  

The boat sinks at the end of The Titanic.

I'd never seen the trailer before or even heard of it before seeing some people here mention it was good

I wouldn't have tried to watch it with my wife if I had known because she's really sensitive about stuff like that. Not that big of a deal really. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

snip

Spoiler alert:  

The boat sinks at the end of The Titanic.

I'd never seen the trailer before or even heard of it before seeing some people here mention it was good

I wouldn't have tried to watch it with my wife if I had known because she's really sensitive about stuff like that. Not that big of a deal really. 

I had to warn my wife about them taking the car, since she gets emotional about Mustangs.  My wife is a bit different.  :) 

• Like 4

Yea... it is a spoiler. And not everyone watches trailers, for a variety of reasons, one of which happens to be that often there are spoilers in trailers.

Rather than be an ass, try having some respect.

Edited by Valsuelm

I was thinking of watching Dune, but i realized that there about 47 different versions of it. Theatrical cut, Extender Cut, Alternate Fan Edit Cut and so on.

Recommendations? (no, not the book. This is a movie-thread)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was thinking of watching Dune, but i realized that there about 47 different versions of it. Theatrical cut, Extender Cut, Alternate Fan Edit Cut and so on.

The SyFy (Though it was SciFi at the time) miniseries was good, besides the casting of Paul. I think I only ever saw the theatrical of the movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dune film from the 80's? I wouldn't bother. Although I guess if you're just curious ... and you have a lot of booze...

SyFy mini-series was certainly better, so I'd try that one first. But mostly I think it's just one of those books that can't be captured on screen without seeming ... too weird or watered down. Difficult to visualize/realize. Dunno.

I re-watched CA:Winter Soldier. I think I like it better every time I see it. First film was ok but kinda dull, imo. And while the sequel has plenty of one liner cheese and the usual over the top wild action, somehow it all works. Maybe it's Chris Evans, maybe it's Anthony Mackie. Maybe it's even Redford having fun with his role. Whatever. It's entertaining.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yea... it is a spoiler. And not everyone watches trailers, for a variety of reasons, one of which happens to be that often there are spoilers in trailers.

Rather than be an ass, try having some respect.

Respect for what?  It is a movie that has been out for months already, if someone was so serious about John Wick that they wanted to avoid all mention of it anywhere, I'm pretty sure they would have made the time to see it already.  This is a thread where we talk about movies, I shouldn't have to put every bit of information in spoilers, particularly those shown in every preview.  If you are that worried about spoilers, then this probably is a bad thread to peruse.

Wonderful job with the name calling by the way.  Way to set an example of respect.

Edited by Hurlshot

The Book of Life. Disney/Pixar, the gauntlet has been dropped. Best animated film I've seen in years.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

David Lynch's Dune is nominally a bad movie. But it's also one of the most absurdly great cult films of all time and a classic that I can just watch over and over again.

Reasons why it's such a cult favorite: 

• Quotable quotes --even if and especially because they are taken from the book
  • The film starts with an extreme close up of Virginia Madsen's face.
  • Sting!
  • Patrick Stewart!
  • Toto! 
  • SHAI HULUD
  • Cuz it's F****** awesome.

See the theatrical cut first. IF you love it, then go with the "Alan Smithee" Extended version --thusly named as David Lynch disowned this version. I actually really like it.

Here's a well made homage/paradoy if you've already seen the film.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"Yea... it is a spoiler. And not everyone watches trailers, for a variety of reasons, one of which happens to be that often there are spoilers in trailers.

Rather than be an ass, try having some respect."

Only one showing disrespect is you. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ah, but we're finns. You will be reading the subtitles anyway. Why not just cut the middleman and go straight for the books? Or...

There might be some spoilers in there.  :biggrin:

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Haha, continuity error. Wounded Nick Fury Jr. shows up in Steve Rogers' dark, empty apartment for reasons. Steve enters, after bantering with smoking-hot Emily Van Camp, until the camera shows him standing next to a wall with a double light switch, the flat panel rocker style, one in the off position, one on. He sees Nick, hits the switch--illuminating a table lamp next to Fury--who pulls the chain to shut it off, because Hydra is listening and watching. The next shot of Steve shows both switches in the same position as before. Obviously, Captain America must have used the Force to create a circuit. But the really important thing is, was the Punisher driving the moving truck during the chase sequence. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I had no idea this was even real. Much respect.

The original and one of the best End Credits ever.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

All things considered, i went to watch the Alternative Edition Redux (178min): http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/412-dune-the-alternative-edition-redux 

Like a game developed by Troika on stereoids, this one was truly a flawed jem. It had the Sardaukar, the best and most feared elite soldiers in the known universe as radioactive garbagemen, it had Sting running in metal underwear, it had a villain called VLADIMIR HARKONNEN as a floating gasbag, flying around and chasing boys. It had Toto playing 80's guitar-solos as people were running around playing cowboys with sandworms and it had the end credits of a South American soap opera.

BUT!

It had incredible set pieces, it had a vision like no other. It was almost a dream-like experience of a heroic tale of righteous vendetta with the right kind of mystique that transcends it from a run-to-the-mill science fiction to a mythological tale. I can recommend this movie, or atleast this edition of it, to anyone. If anything, it will leave an impression one way or the other.

I will now order the book, all while listening to this:

THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Interview - Not quite as bad as I was expecting, but definitely not worth all the attention it got.  There were some funny moments, and a few surprisingly well shot scenes.  The helicopter blowing up was very well done.  I'm glad I didn't pay for it, but it was worth a watch.