Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

So anti's are calling for a boycott of Stardock now, and #GamerGate responded by telling everyone to buy their games. How well did that go when it was SeedScape?

Misogyny was spread by having a woman's game being greenlight on Steam.

What games has Statdock published or developed? I have extra cash and would like to support our glorious Patriarchy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So anti's are calling for a boycott of Stardock now, and #GamerGate responded by telling everyone to buy their games. How well did that go when it was SeedScape?

Misogyny was spread by having a woman's game being greenlight on Steam.

What games has Statdock published or developed? I have extra cash and would like to support our glorious Patriarchy.

mostly 4X TBS and 4X RTS, most notably Sins of the Solar empire, Galactic Civilizations and Fallen Enchantress series. Funny, because their game profile of major titles hardly can be sexizm inducting...

Edited by Darkpriest

Feel bad.

McIntosh seems to be setting off my gay-dar to a degree.

Wasn't expecting that...

Oh, and someone posted a list of who all these people are:

Brian Altano - Works for IGN - San Francisco

Scott Anderson - Game designer that worked on Shadow Physics, now UI artist for Sledgehammer Games - San Francisco

Matt Boch - Worked for Harmonix on Rock Band/Dance Central, making a Kinect version of Fantasia for Disney - New York

Nick Breckon - Writer for Walking Dead, Idle Thumbs Podcast - San Francisco

Matt Chandronait - Working on Outerlands documentary by AREA 5. - San Francisco

Matt Conn - Founder of GaymerX - San Francisco

Mitch Dyer - Editor of IGN - San Francisco

Arthur Gies - Review Editor for Polygon - San Francisco

David Hellman - Artist for Braid - San Francisco

Jonathan Mann - Guy that worked on the music videos with Anita & McIntosh - New York

John McElroy - Worked for EA, works for Funomena - San Francisco

Tom Mc Shea - Worked for GameSpot - San Francisco

Greg Miller - Works for IGN - San Francisco

Ryan O'Donnel - Working on Outerlands documentary by AREA 5 - San Francisco

Cesar Quintero - Co-founder of Area 5 LLC. - San Francisco

Chris Remo - Working for Campo Santo, Member of Idle Thumbs, Composer on Gone Home, Thirty Flights of Loving, Spacebase DF-9, Captain Bubblenaut. - San Francisco

Jake Rodkin - Founder of Campo Santo. Co-host of the Idle Thumbs podcast. Previously of Telltale Games. - San Francisco

Tim Schafer - Founder of Double Fine - San Francisco

Adam Sessler - Former videogame show host on G4TV and Rev3, working as a consultant - San Francisco

Pierre Shorette - Writer for Telltale Games - San Francisco

Imran Siddiquee - Writer, Idealist, Feminist, Contributor for The Atlantic - San Francisco

Dan Tennery-Spalding - Education Technology - San Francisco

Kevin vanOrd - Works for GameSpot - San Francisco

Sean Vanaman - Founder of Campo Santo - a video game company. Former Telltaler. Idle Thumb. - San Francisco

Kool-aid must be delicious. And as a San Francisco native(born, obviously not there anymore), I can somewhat proudly say this is the first time in my life I feel any sort of shame for being from there.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

So I read the Wikipedia page of GamerGate. It's about as neutral as Glenn Beck is on US politics.

If this is the standard of Wikipedia, then I an certainly happy to keep my money to myself when they're begging for donations.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So I read the Wikipedia page of GamerGate. It's about as neutral as Glenn Beck is on US politics.

If this is the standard of Wikipedia, then I an certainly happy to keep my money to myself when they're begging for donations.

There's some controversy regarding the page and the moderators who are pro-corruption and Jimmy Wales doesn't seem to believe there's anything going on.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There's some controversy regarding the page and the moderators who are pro-corruption and Jimmy Wales doesn't seem to believe there's anything going on.

I'm just wondering how the hell Literally Hitler has a more neutral article.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/459705/Have_people_lost_their_collective_minds

I'm also feeling very good now. We helped get the FTC to revise their guidelines concerning affiliate links. This e-celeb attention grabbing doesn't mean ****.

The way I understand it Jimbo is pretty pro-gg, but he gave up most of his power long ago and can't do a lot about it besides chiming in on the debates.

Its mostly a problem with wiki policy re: reliable sources. Essentially none of the pro-gg stuff has been posted by sites that are considerrd reliable sources, and the ones who have have all focused on the harassment angle because frankly, no one outside gaming really gives a crap about gaming journalism.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"25. Because it was created by a straight white man, this checklist will likely be taken more seriously than if it had been written by virtually any female gamer."

Nope, it's more full of **** than my toilet this morning.

KP I consider you are fairly reasonable person on most topics

Can you explain to me why this video is utter nonsense ? I watched it right to the end and those 25 points are all valid areas of harassment that women on the Internet are subjected to, why don't you guys just condemn this treatment of women  instead of dismissing it?

They also mention that men are also subjected to bullying and harassment but its not because of there gender and that's very true, in other words I have never been verbally attacked on the Internet because I am a male on any forum or game I have ever played

I would love to hear from people why this video is " nonsense and plain stupid "  because I don't get it ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Can you explain to me why this video is utter nonsense ? I watched it right to the end and those 25 points are all valid areas of harassment that women on the Internet are subjected to, why don't you guys just condemn this treatment of women  instead of dismissing it?

They also mention that men are also subjected to bullying and harassment but its not because of there gender and that's very true, in other words I have never been verbally attacked on the Internet because I am a male on any forum or game I have ever played

I would love to hear from people why this video is " nonsense and plain stupid "  because I don't get it ?"

It's sexist. It's racist. It's evil. It's nazish. It's brainwashing. It's scummery. It's full of crap.

Never been 'bullied'  because you are a guy? HAHAHA!

\

SJWs attack males all the times. Every time someone shouts someone down for 'mansplaining' that's a form of bullying. Trying to shut some down because they are of a certain gender that's bullying.

\You heroes attack males all the time because they are males. Yet, you continue to support them. btw, Your precious SJWs are attacking your peecious BIO. Whose side will you take?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Can you explain to me why this video is utter nonsense ?

Because the entire thing is [citation needed].

That's what I thought, you don't really have a reason to dismiss it. Its just a knee-jerk reaction because it raises the reality of harassment of women on the Internet and it appears that this view is not something that certain  people who support GG want to really accept or acknowledge...or even discuss

Do you think this then undermines the objectives of  GG somehow? Is it not possible to support GG but also support a video like this and the message it is trying to convey ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"

\You heroes attack males all the time because they are males. Yet, you continue to support them. btw, Your precious SJWs are attacking your peecious BIO. Whose side will you take?

Links? I want to read about this attack on Bioware

You know me Volo I am generally  opposed to any unreasonable attacks on people or companies

John Milton 

That's what I thought, you don't really have a reason to dismiss it. Its just a knee-jerk reaction because it raises the reality of harassment of women on the Internet and it appears that this view is not something that certain  people who support GG want to really accept or acknowledge...or even discuss

Do you think this then undermines the objectives of  GG somehow? Is it not possible to support GG but also support a video like this and the message it is trying to convey ?

I think some of it is perfectly reasonable, and some of it is nonsense. Benefit 3 is nonsense. You release your contact information online and you run the risk of being stalked; male or not.

That said the video wasn't terrible.

I did notice one thing though. At the beginning the guy clearly used the word, "gamer". I guess the idea that gamers are dead has been dropped by feminist frequency. To me, that counts as a tiny win for GG.

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks the guy on benefit 12 has a fake mustache? It seems like the wrong color, and it also appears to be slanted like it was hastily put on.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

http://gamergate.me/2014/12/struggle-of-the-pen/

Muslim guy talks about being compared to ISIS because he has a problem with the state of gaming journalism.

If you don't see the lack of proof for said statements as "a reason to dismiss it", I honestly don't know what to say. If you want to convince me that harassment of women is exponentially more common than harrasment in general, you're going to have to show some hard evidence, not anecdotal musings.

• Like 1

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/459705/Have_people_lost_their_collective_minds

I'm also feeling very good now. We helped get the FTC to revise their guidelines concerning affiliate links. This e-celeb attention grabbing doesn't mean ****.

The recent twitter war was over this? I guess Zoe is becoming desperate to get some attention.

Oh Milo, you beautiful bastard!

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

http://amherststudent.amherst.edu/?q=article/2014/12/03/gamergate-controversy-extends-beyond-computer-screen

Pretty decent article on problems with corrupt journalism.

http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/voice-parappa-threatens-death-fan-steals-100-2-year-long-escapade/

Dude gets a death threat from a VA who he paid $100.

Oh Milo, you beautiful bastard!

giphy.gif

Edited by KaineParker

http://gamergate.me/2014/12/struggle-of-the-pen/

Muslim guy talks about being compared to ISIS because he has a problem with the state of gaming journalism.

If you don't see the lack of proof for said statements as "a reason to dismiss it", I honestly don't know what to say. If you want to convince me that harassment of women is exponentially more common than harrasment in general, you're going to have to show some hard evidence, not anecdotal musings.

Hold on a second, do you really believe that the harassment of women on the Internet is not much worse than the harassment of men?

John Milton 

I think some of it is perfectly reasonable, and some of it is nonsense. Benefit 3 is nonsense. You release your contact information online and you run the risk of being stalked; male or not.

That said the video wasn't terrible.

I did notice one thing though. At the beginning the guy clearly used the word, "gamer". I guess the idea that gamers are dead has been dropped by feminist frequency. To me, that counts as a tiny win for GG.

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks the guy on benefit 12 has a fake mustache? It seems like the wrong color, and it also appears to be slanted like it was hastily put on.

Thank you for your honesty

Let us just forget for a second GG and Leigh Alexander and any other contentious issues since this whole Zoe Quinn incident started ( wow saying her name feels so weird and outdated now because so much has happened since then )

All I was expecting is people to watch the video and acknowledge that these are valid issues, for me its a no-brainer but to just dismiss the whole video as nonsense is not helpful to the overall discussion ?

John Milton 

Hold on a second, do you really believe that the harassment of women on the Internet is not much worse than the harassment of men?

Do you have proof that it is?

"Hold on a second, do you really believe that the harassment of women on the Internet is not much worse than the harassment of men?"

Yup.

As for the SJWS attacks on BIO. I'm not surprised that you are blessedly ignorant of them. Can't have anything hurting the narrative. The SJWs are mad that the character Sera (who is a lesbian) says something mean about other women so that proves that BIO is anti woman and are sexist. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

To be fair there is no conclusive evidence to show otherwise (that I am aware of). The main difference in it is the form the harassment takes. Trolls attack what they can see and women respond to other things than men, mainly they respond to sexism. Nobody is going to take another dude being sexist towards men very seriously so it's not a good avenue for sexism. You only have to look at #GamerGate to see how men react to sexism when it comes from the opposite sex - nothing gets their boxers in a twist faster than a mention of #KillAllMen or being called cis het male scum.

However, I've mentioned before that I'm friends (or other) with a lot of female gamers (and devs) and yes, the harassment they do get is pretty much all sexist. Nothing I get compares, really. I know Volourn will disagree because he gets nasty harassment himself, but in my personal, anecdotal experience, yes, women get more harassed than men on the internet.

• Like 1