Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Just to keep ourselves updated:

http://imgur.com/FV3WXZN

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just to keep ourselves updated:

http://imgur.com/FV3WXZN

But there aren't any ethical problems on games journalism! Kotaku said so!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://techraptor.net/content/origins-seedscape-interview-jennifer-dawe

Interview with the woman the pro-corruption people tried to drive out of the industry.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Don’t let the fearmongering scare you. If you really want to do this there’s no reason you can’t. There are a few jerks out there but the industry has been overwhelmingly positive and most of my biggest opportunities have come from men welcoming me for my abilities not my gender. It’s only about that if you make it about that.

Strange, i could've heard something completely different from other female devs :p

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://techraptor.net/content/origins-seedscape-interview-jennifer-dawe

Interview with the woman the pro-corruption people tried to drive out of the industry.

I voted for it on Greenlight not as a **** you to anti-GGers, though it serving as a **** you to anti-GGers is a welcome bonus, but because it looks like a game I'd like to play.  I do like me some Harvest Moon and this definitely seems to be like that.  I have to admit, though, watching anti-GGers try to blackball someone in the industry and fail spectacularly puts a big ol' goofy smile on my face.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Don’t let the fearmongering scare you. If you really want to do this there’s no reason you can’t. There are a few jerks out there but the industry has been overwhelmingly positive and most of my biggest opportunities have come from men welcoming me for my abilities not my gender. It’s only about that if you make it about that.

Strange, i could've heard something completely different from other female devs :p

I once volunteered for a guerilla filmmaking project with a team that didn't take any nonsense. If you were incompetent, they would mercilessly make fun of your work. Several men left because they couldn't deal with it. Now, there were a handful of women there too and most of them were competent (some of them hypercompetent), so they didn't get crapped on and in fact most of them joined in. Except for this one girl, who was just absolutely terrible at her job. So, like the other men, her work was mocked all the time. Her response? She threatened to sue people for being sexist. Needless to say all the women laughed in her face, she left and she never did make a case out of it.

When I see the work of some of those other women devs, I am very much reminded of that girl.

Explanation for those who don't understand US tax laws?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Charitable organizations are exempt from tax but they need to apply first.

I'm guessing people think that she hasn't been paying her taxes, or that she is making people believe that's a charitable organization when its not.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Charitable organizations are exempt from tax but they need to apply first.

I'm guessing people think that she hasn't been paying her taxes, or that she is making people believe that's a charitable organization when its not.

Not only apply, but follow through with the process to become officially recognized as a nonprofit.  I make this nitpick because, if I read those links correctly, she (or someone on her behalf) did apply to become a 501c nonprofit but seemingly never followed through with the next step, and thus never became a 501c nonprofit organization.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This ride truly never ends.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3pJuhpIMAA3Oc3.png:large

Headline: Anti-harassment people that oppose GamerGate prove dedication to anti-harassment by consistently and constantly harass infamous internet feminist Liana K.

Notice how all the victims of anti-GG's harassment are women? This has become ridiculous self-parody. They are literally their own worst enemy. Liana K, Georgina Young, Christina Sommers, Camera Lady, Claire Shumann, Jennifer Dawe, GGFeminist, Jennie Bharaj, Jennifer from Hardwire, IvyTwisted, Sabrina Lianne and that Liz whose full name escapes me who posted all those "I'm sorry I pretended to be a woman because I'm actually a cis white male" videos. All these women have consistently been harassed by the self-proclaimed anti-harassment people. THe amount of women who support GG getting harassed outnumber the amount of men getting harassed by so much it's not even funny.

• Like 5

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3pJuhpIMAA3Oc3.png:large

Headline: Anti-harassment people that oppose GamerGate prove dedication to anti-harassment by consistently and constantly harass infamous internet feminist Liana K.

Notice how all the victims of anti-GG's harassment are women? This has become ridiculous self-parody. They are literally their own worst enemy. Liana K, Georgina Young, Christina Sommers, Camera Lady, Claire Shumann, Jennifer Dawe, GGFeminist, Jennie Bharaj, Jennifer from Hardwire, IvyTwisted, Sabrina Lianne and that Liz whose full name escapes me who posted all those "I'm sorry I pretended to be a woman because I'm actually a cis white male" videos. All these women have consistently been harassed by the self-proclaimed anti-harassment people. THe amount of women who support GG getting harassed outnumber the amount of men getting harassed by so much it's not even funny.

It's obvious that anti-GG holds misogynistic views of women. It's not surprising considering anti-GG is a bunch of white-males who believe everyone should think the way they do. Remember; it has already been established that anti-GG thinks any women that are pro-GG just want attention from boys.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Don't get me wrong, I've said since the beginning GG will win, and we definitely are....

But it's still frustrating that it's even taking this long. I mean the anti-side is such a miserable joke at this point: https://twitter.com/davidgaliel/status/538942144434950145

Some backround on the guy talking to Mojo Jojo:

David was advisor to ChickTech, a Portland-based nonprofit that supports women in technology careers, from 2012 to Sept 2014.

via http://elbowfish.myshopify.com/pages/david-galiel

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

So they're saying pro-GG women are just fake geek girls?

Or men pretending to be women, same thing with racial minorities. The only group they have no problem acknowledging are the disabled, and then they make cracks at autism. Pro-corruption makes themselves look like such hypocrites one has to wonder if Poe's law is in effect.

Or men pretending to be women, same thing with racial minorities. The only group they have no problem acknowledging are the disabled, and then they make cracks at autism. Pro-corruption makes themselves look like such hypocrites one has to wonder if Poe's law is in effect.

Absolutely disgusts me that these spoiled children have industry support.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

The way I understand it, to the SJWs, any woman who's pro-GG, or even neutral, is either a sock puppet (only pretending to be a woman) or a house n****r (a traitor to their gender).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I was being sarcastic. One of the main points "proving" gamers were misogynist as a whole in some of the articles was that they considered women "fake gamer girls who just want attention from boys" so I was pointing out that their argument against the women supporting GG was, at the very least, ironic.

Don't get me wrong, I've said since the beginning GG will win, and we definitely are....

But it's still frustrating that it's even taking this long. I mean the anti-side is such a miserable joke at this point: https://twitter.com/davidgaliel/status/538942144434950145

Some backround on the guy talking to Mojo Jojo:

David was advisor to ChickTech, a Portland-based nonprofit that supports women in technology careers, from 2012 to Sept 2014.

via http://elbowfish.myshopify.com/pages/david-galiel

This is at the same time the saddest and most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I seem to have noticed a pattern in Ms. Wu's communication style.  Please do correct me if you feel I have come to an erroneous conclusion.

Step 1) Make unfounded, often flat out false, claim of sexism or misogyny, accompanied with a plea to retweet.

Step 2) Matter-of-factly have claim refuted (often by someone with expertise in the given field) using factual evidence.

Step 3) Loudly react to the person who matter-of-factly refuted her claim with righteous indignation.

Step 4) Lather.

Step 5) Rinse.

Step 6) Repeat.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It is taking months to be rid of people who do not agree with the usage of facts because those in power support these people.

Think about that for a moment.

I'm hardly interested in Brianna Wu, but this... She's such an abrasive moron. What the hell is "mansplaining" anyway? All he did is provide evidence that her claim was untrue; why would the fact he is a man be even remotely relevant? There are people who think this brazen stupidity is acceptable? 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.