Update #87: Internal Play Testing, VO, Performance Optimization, Mac Build, and More

....in that case 22nd of February sounds fine!

But seriously, wouldn't it be nice if someone from the staff could just give us 5 minutes of their time to comment, surely they can spare five minutes from jerking off to write something up for us, for christ's sake.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

....in that case 22nd of February sounds fine!

But seriously, wouldn't it be nice if someone from the staff could just give us 5 minutes of their time to comment, surely they can spare five minutes from jerking off to write something up for us, for christ's sake.

(a) There's no need to be rude about it.

(b) They might not have an official, set in stone release date atm and it's hardly worth their time to be posting "We don't have a realse date yet," every time someone clamours for it.

• Like 3

More time = more fixed bugs, more polished features, more portraits - stuff like that

Actually quite literally crossing my fingers in the hope that there is not a release date announcement at Pax, but there probably will be.

Edited by Sensuki

More time = more fixed bugs, more polished features, more portraits - stuff like that

Actually quite literally crossing my fingers in the hope that there is not a release date announcement at Pax, but there probably will be.

Sure, more polish and content is always nice. But wouldn't Obsidian get in a bit of a bind if they don't announce the release date soon?

Usually you want to have some time before release (2-3 months) to start marketing and invite press for some previews, etc... but then they also want to release ahead of the Witcher 3.

Releasing even later then W3 is probably out of the question too (too expenisve), so all in all not much time remains.

I bet they will postpone it again, until the end of the summer. Its already about a year or so late, whats another half a year.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

It succeeded on Kickstarter in October, 2012; the early release target was (IIRC) eighteen months, which would put it at April, 2014. Clearly that was aggressive scheduling, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I'll bet the budget is getting pretty tight by now.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Back when it was delayed, I guessed March 2015. I'm not sure whether it will be early march or late March. I still hope it's something more like APril - even just an extra week just to get some more bugfixes in, would be good IMO.

But yes, the announcement will probably come at PAX.

Yeah, of course no intention of being rude.

But i am starting to wonder if a published has some merits, after all. I get your point, Subway, more time for development means less bugs... but no game comes out bugless or issueless. QA never solves everything, nor do beta testers find everything that's wrong.

A publisher could have forced a release date, and after that they could put Patches and such, but at least we would be playing.

Do i remember incorrectly that hey said that the game is already playable from  start to finish? If so it is in a good enough state for me.

Then, in a year, they can release a director's cut for free like CD Projekt does with The Witcher. Cough cough.

But i am starting to wonder if a published has some merits, after all. I get your point, Subway, more time for development means less bugs... but no game comes out bugless or issueless. QA never solves everything, nor do beta testers find everything that's wrong.

A publisher could have forced a release date, and after that they could put Patches and such, but at least we would be playing.

Do i remember incorrectly that hey said that the game is already playable from  start to finish? If so it is in a good enough state for me.

Then, in a year, they can release a director's cut for free like CD Projekt does with The Witcher. Cough cough.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

• Like 1

Waiter! Fresh underwear, seven blankets and a bucket of moist towelettes!

Update 88 coming soon ? Whats been going on the last two months ? Surely it only takes a few moments for the staff to say something.

Obsidian wrote:

Lol, It entertains me to unreasonable ends that Sensuki is now Subway. Eat fresh, my friend.

• Like 1

BAdler posted today and said they aren't going to start looking into another Beta build until at least next week. My prediction was end of Jan, but depending on how they go (there's usually a week delay) it could be late Jan/early Feb.

Lord Wafflebum, on 14 Jan 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Skree, on 13 Jan 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Lol, It entertains me to unreasonable ends that Sensuki is now Subway. Eat fresh, my friend.

ROTFL. Do not underestimate the power of a late night post under influence of.... spirits. But lo and behold, if you are entertained, then all's well.

i just have this fear, seriously speaking, of "early spring" becoming "early winter" and then "early 2016" and so on and so on.

• Like 1

IT's OK. I can wait. Just got GTA 5, Rayman Legends, Heroes of the Storm is now Beta phase, Witcher 3 coming and also Mortal Kombat X. I got things to occupy me while they polish their game.

Edited by Killyox