Backer Beta Build 364 is Live!

BAdler

A new Windows Backer Beta update has been distributed through Steam. We have made a lot of fixes and some changes since the last update. In addition to general fixes, the team has been hard at work making some changes based on a play week that we did a couple of weeks back. You may even see a few new Abilities for classes based on the team's feedback.

You will also notice that many of the icons are now in place and we have even started to get some VO in place.

We have not been able to get an updated Mac build, but we are hoping to put one out sometime in the next couple of weeks. One good bit of news for Mac users, though, is that the build should be able to run directly from Steam now.

Here are some of the issues that have been fixed and some that are still on the list for fixes.

Fixed

Save/Load/Persistence

• Fog of War does now persists on Save/Load and transitions. - Thread Link
  • BB Fighter will no longer become invisible after Save/Load. - Thread Link
  • Uninstalling the game should now remove all files that the game created. - Thread Link

Area Design

• Hendyna no longer wanders off to the forest at times. - Thread Link

Spells/Abilities/Classes/Gameplay

• Medreth's Boar Companion no longer follows the party from scene to scene, causing combat issues. - Thread Link
  • Hazard spells (Slicken, Web, Chill Fog, etc...) are no longer attaching themselves to affected targets. - Thread Link
  • Creatures should now properly play death animations and drop loot. - Thread Link
  • Fighter Passive Armored Grace has had its description updated to reflect its recovery modification. - Thread Link
  • Paladin Auras, Zealous Focus, Zealous Charge, and Zealous Endurance no longer deactivate immediately when clicked. - Thread Link
  • Fan of Flames level 1 Wizard spell, no longer plays a VFX with improper textures. - Thread Link
  • Charmed/Dominated creatures no longer attack themselves. - Thread Link
  • Crystal Eater Spiders, Crystal Eater Spiderlings, and Widowmaker Spiders are no longer bypassing 10 DT.
  • Missed attacks in combat are still causing hit reactions and hit SFX. - Thread Link

Art

• Hendyna's home has a visual shaking effect when entered and zoomed in. - Thread Link
  • Morning Stars (of the non-Fine Quality) are transparent in game and character creation. - Thread Link

User Interface

• Targeting reticles persist after death if the creature is killed while moused over. - Thread Link
  • Winfrith and Tenfrith's shops do not have name and values listed for items in the shop UI. - Thread Link
  • Savage Endurance tooltip is showing too many decimals. - Thread Link
  • Character Creation buttons can have a significant delay when clicked.
  • Opening and closing the Area Map shifts 2D UI elements (Including character circles). - Thread Link
  • Temp Status icons are sometimes appearing during combat (White Squares with Green Circles).

Known Issues

Save/Load/Persistence

• Save/Load causes the inventory paperdoll not to show weapons and shields until another character is selected. - Thread Link
  • Save/Load causes character shadows to disappear on the East and West sides of Dyrford Village. - Thread Link
  • Saving a paused game, closing and reopening the client, then loading that game via the Continue causes the game to load in paused. - Thread Link
  • Memory usage increases after loading the game (closing the client and opening it resets this). - Thread Link
  • Memory usage increases after transitions (closing the client and opening it resets this). - Thread Link
  • Enchanted mods disappear after loading the game.
  • Memory usage increases by 300-800MB after 1-2 Save/Loads or Transitions, this does not appear to worsen further.
  • Save files can become unreadable if PC loses power supply while the game is running.

Area Design

• The Water Wheel in Dyrford Village seems to be rotating in the wrong direction. - Thread Link
  • The Temple Skaen entrance is visible on the area map without first moving the statue. - Thread Link
  • Boar companion is left behind when Medreth leaves. - Thread Link
  • Dengler's Store cannot be accessed after returning to the Dracogen Inn.

Spells/Abilities/Classes/Gameplay

• Trap Triggered and other similar bark texts persist for too long. - Thread Link
  • Miss/Graze/Hit/Crit Ranges are off by 1 value. - Thread Link
  • The Goldpact Paladin talent Enduring Flames is causing Flames of Devotion to apply a permanent DoT effect. - Thread Link
  • Best of Weapons are not showing the proper damage type in the combat log. - Thread Link
  • Talents Resilient Companion, Faithful Companion, and Painful Interdiction are not working properly.
  • Some new class abilities have been added for the druid, fighter, paladin, and wizard. These abilities have missing strings and temp icons.
  • If the Ranger or their Companion are knocked out near an enemy while the other is far away, they will repeatedly fall unconscious.
  • If you hire an adventurer when you have a full party, the adventurer will be made with no items.
  • On death load doesn't function if a entire party is knocked out while one party member is dominated.
  • Changing difficulty level in-game doesn't scale the number of opponents correctly.

Art

• The Health bar indicators feel somewhat unpolished and appear to overlap the portrait. - Thread Link

Items

• Cape/Cloak items do not align with character's shoulders and clip through character models. - Thread Link
  • The Sabre will sometimes strike for 0.0 damage negating the attack entirely. - Thread Link

User Interface

• Assigned Action Bar Hotkeys are duplicating ability UI and not unassigning previously assigned keys. - Thread Link
  • UI screen borders are shifted offscreen in higher resolutions causing quest updates etc to become clipped. - Thread Link
  • The level up button in the character sheet appears available even if you cannot level up. - Thread Link
  • "Best of" weapons do not display their change in damage type in the combat log when the alternate type is used. - Thread Link
  • Paladin's description is missing the word "Health" after the health multiplier. - Thread Link
  • Accuracy shown in the Inventory and Character sheet do not reflect the bonus for single 1 Handed weapons and Enchant/Mod accuracy effects.
  • Character Creation attribute allocation arrows continue to make SFX sounds if clicked after they have disappeared. - Thread Link
  • White damage values in the combat log only display whole numbers and not decimal values (Makes DoT effects misleading).
  • Time stamp font is small in when viewing saved games. - Thread Link
  • Traps and Hidden Secrets change the mouse cursor when hovered over (before they are discovered). - Thread Link
  • Saved games are not ordering properly and are sometimes resetting their play time.
  • Stash access in the Shop UI needs to be switched to page format.
  • Item tooltips often appear behind the inventory and loot UI.

Audio

• Combat Music is no longer playing.
  • Like 15

Cool ! Thanks.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Awesome! Looking forward to diving into this again! 

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

It's my fault the strings don't appear for some of the new abilities.  Here are the appropriate descriptions in case you want to use them:

Nature's Vigor (1st level druid spell)

Draws on the invigorating power of nature, creating a mild regeneration effect and raising Max Endurance on party members.

Disciplined Barrage (3rd level fighter ability)

The fighter intensely focuses on his or her training, significantly raising Accuracy for a short amount of time.

Deprive the Unworthy (7th level paladin ability)

The paladin temporarily snuffs out all active beneficial effects on a single foe. The effects resume once Deprive the Unworthy ends.

• Like 5

Some nice improvements to the game with this build.

Nice per encounter ability for the wizard, the changed stats for everyone, and a lot of spells seem to fit better with there descriptions now.

Also the cheaper adventurer higher is great and chanter summons seem to be working a lot better.

Appear to be some bugs around the Wizards grimore though.

Lots of changes not listed in the notes.

Hazard spells (Slicken, Web, Chill Fog, etc...) are no longer attaching themselves to affected targets.

This isn't really fixed.

http://i.imgur.com/lm94CeY.jpg

It's no where near as bad as it was before, the per char effect is alot smaller and less overwhelming at least for web.

Edited by aeonsim

I'd also like to add that the lack of combat music has made the game better for me. While I disliked the combat music initially, I've grown to absolutely hate it. Far too repetitive and grating. Please consider recomposing the combat music - it's the most important track in the entire game and simply cannot afford to be annoying!

Thanks for the update. This looks and feels like a big improvement so far.

BUT: Still the flav text in German language is missing while clicking on the "magnifying spots".

When will those texts be implementet? I think they should already be translated?

I really would appreciate an answer to his.

I wish to ask a question of the developers - after the playtesting week, how do you find the combat/dialogue log? Can it be made more convenient and informative and how do you think it should be changed? I have a bunch of suggestions to make about the combat/dialogue log specifically, but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Very happy with the new visuals, including icons and portraits :) While there are some effect glitches like the spells attaching themselves to affected characters, or the really big effect near the mill's wheel, minute things like the redesigned selection circles or apparently modified character faces/eyes make for a much better impression :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

They're also temporary

Kaz is trying out different indicators. I believe that build was made while he was in the middle of making another revision.

The selection circles and targeting indicators need to support displaying Engagement, so his iterations are working toward that.