I actually never played any of the old infinity engine games.  I mean, I tried to play BG 1 back when it was new, and I was a teenager at the time.  But the constant need to pause the game during combat pretty much annoyed me.  Now I am much older, and I do not know if I will like it or not.

Now here is the weird part, I still backed the game on Kickstarter, despite not knowing if I would enjoy it or not.  =D  So yeah, I took a chance on it, hoping that now that I am older that I can hopefully enjoy and appreciate the pausing combat.  What really got me to back the game is knowing that Obsidian are basically masters when it comes to story, consequences, and characters.

Anyone else like me?

I liked the combat style (real time with pause) but that wasn't what hooked me in those games. It was the atmosphere and the stories, the characters and the reaction/interaction (mostly in BG2). Obsidian is really good when it comes to roleplay and this is the part of this game that I'm most excited for. The roleplay. I believe it'll take it one step forward. Other features are good too, but this is the most important for me.

So I'm mostly with you, with the exception that real time + pause combat worked well for me back then (though I was not a teenager :p ).

• Like 2

I think I played all or at least most of the Infinity Engine games.  Is it weird to have not played them?   I don't think so.  Is it weird to now want to try out a game that is influenced by those games?  I don't think so.  After all I have never played any of the Diablo games and there are those who might think that weird.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I played all the IE stuff. It was mainly about the story, atmosphere and the world for me. I think real time with pause is terrible but everything else in the games was good enough for me to keep playing, and I'm sure this game will be the same, so it isn't weird to try it out anyway. It'll be a solid RPG. Even a completely stock-standard turn based system like the one you can turn on in Arcanum is far better imo. Then I got spoiled by Divinity recently and can't stand the combat in the Eternity backer beta, but once again I'm sure I'll finish it either way. I'm just glad Torment is at least turn-based

Edited by Bli1942

I think real time with pause is terrible

Even a completely stock-standard turn based system like the one you can turn on in Arcanum is far better imo.

And why?

For me it ends up being too messy and chaotic and doesn't flow nicely. The IE games were alright but Eternity is 10x worse at the moment. I'm sure they will improve it greatly by release but we'll see. The stop start stop start nature irritates me. I'll send a character to do something while paused and they'll get stuck halfway there on un-pause, or an enemy will move, or someone else will block their way, then I have to pause again to fix it, and by that point another character is being beat on so you have to take care of that and so on.

I much prefer being able to think through a nice tactic for 1 guy without disturbance (and plan ahead for others) have him play out his move, and then see what the enemy does afterwards. Everything happening at once in a party of 5 or 6 with another 5 or 6+ enemies gets crazy and I have to pause too often to not die. Anything real time is far better suited to only playing one character imo.  I also much prefer the action-point system and unlimited use of whatever ability provided you have the action points available, over a system where some stuff can only be used once in a fight or without resting. I just hate that limitation, if I'm a bad ass mage I should be able to use a spell more than once without taking a nap

And why do you like real time with pause more? (if you do?) I'm surprised so many people liked it, before I read forums and the like I always just assumed it would've been what people disliked about the IE games but it's proven to be very popular with the hardcore fan base!

Edited by Bli1942

Because its realistic. Turn based feels awfully fake and takes away from the immersion of 6 real people doing combat alongside one another.

It's a game. About spirits, fantasy and magic. Realism flew out the window a long time ago.

It's about what works as a gameplay mechanic. I like both varieties equally; I just don't like poorly designed real-time or turn based games.

• Like 1

@Sheikh: If a story or setting captures you, then it doesn't matter whether it is TB or RT.

If it doesn't capture you, then you are either not immersing yourself, or you're just not into the story.

Sometimes you have to capture yourself in a story, rather than trying to let the story capture you.

But... I like RT more because there's more to consider and it flows better. It'd be interesting to see a TB-RT implementation in some RPG in the future. Turn-Based Animations, so a Fighter would end his slash mid-turn, and next turn goes to the Rogue, who can then react to the animation (naturally, the Rogue would have faster animation speed, and could perhaps duck and start a leg trip, which the Fighter then reacts to, but fails dice roll, trips, and ends turn mid-air *stunned* and Rogue gets another turn).

Realtime, chopped up in turns. That'd be awesome. Probably takes a lot of time and budget though.

I actually never played any of the old infinity engine games.  I mean, I tried to play BG 1 back when it was new, and I was a teenager at the time.  But the constant need to pause the game during combat pretty much annoyed me.  Now I am much older, and I do not know if I will like it or not.

Now here is the weird part, I still backed the game on Kickstarter, despite not knowing if I would enjoy it or not.  =D  So yeah, I took a chance on it, hoping that now that I am older that I can hopefully enjoy and appreciate the pausing combat.  What really got me to back the game is knowing that Obsidian are basically masters when it comes to story, consequences, and characters.

Anyone else like me?

Not weird at all, that sounds like a perfectly good reason.

@Sheikh: If a story or setting captures you, then it doesn't matter whether it is TB or RT.

If it doesn't capture you, then you are either not immersing yourself, or you're just not into the story.

Sometimes you have to capture yourself in a story, rather than trying to let the story capture you.

But... I like RT more because there's more to consider and it flows better. It'd be interesting to see a TB-RT implementation in some RPG in the future. Turn-Based Animations, so a Fighter would end his slash mid-turn, and next turn goes to the Rogue, who can then react to the animation (naturally, the Rogue would have faster animation speed, and could perhaps duck and start a leg trip, which the Fighter then reacts to, but fails dice roll, trips, and ends turn mid-air *stunned* and Rogue gets another turn).

Realtime, chopped up in turns. That'd be awesome. Probably takes a lot of time and budget though.

I was not talking about immersion through story, I was talking about immersion through combat.

I was not talking about immersion through story, I was talking about immersion through combat.

Oh, okay? Well, to me, it doesn't matter. I've been playing a lot of Dead State recently (Turn Based) and the animations are very basic, simple and dull (as they often are in Turn Based), and I've caught myself several times imagining the movements of the characters being way more extensive, vivid, interesting and way cooler.

Like I said, you don't always get captured by a story (or even combat), some times you have to capture the story (or combat) yourself.

When I played Baldur's Gate with a friend, multiplayer, we paused the game after combat and had a bit of a DM moment and I narrated what happened in the combat more vividly and way more descriptive than what the game itself could present to us. It was awesome.

All of you have a fantastical mind, use it ;) like, in the same way when you read a book, images appear in the foggy parts of the brain to often translate the words into the magic :D

If frequent pausing is a problem for you, this game will treat you harshly. Personally, it demands the kind of pausing that I would use in the IE games anyhow, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The slow-motion option was a wise addition though, and I'd recommend using it.

I personally love the pause feature in Pillars of Eternity! But... something about combat speed+pausing is... hm, I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't feel 100% calibrated in the Beta, something with Animation speed/play/frames combined with the Combat Log. I'll investigate further in the Beta what it is I'm frowning about though.

@OP: Get Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam, I think I saw it for like 9,49 (Euro) the other day. There's Auto-Pause options giving you a Psuedo-Turn-Based Mode (if that's what you're more into), also, one of the most important aspects of the Infinity Engine games is the Roleplaying aspect in my opion.

You kind of have to overcome a bit of a Mechanics Wall/Obstacle and then immerse yourself into the plot. Best way to do this is to work out a character concept, write a background story for your character, give them a purpose and make them enjoyable for yourself. "Who are they? Where did they come from? What do they want out of life in this world?" etc.

Hm, comparing:

- In the Diablo series I feel I am, as the Player, being told a story.

- In the Infinity Engine series I feel my character is a huge part in telling the story.

Edited by Osvir

Maybe I didn't explain well enough, or formulated myself poorly.

I feel, that the character I make up, is driving, and telling, a story in a different way than the character of your choosing that you play as in the Diablo series. I can't speak for or against Deus Ex, haven't played enough of it.

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't explain well enough, or formulated myself poorly.

I feel, that the character I make up, is driving, and telling, a story in a different way than the character of your choosing that you play as in the Diablo series. I can't speak for or against Deus Ex, haven't played enough of it.

Yes, totally. Thats great because its very immersion enabling.

And thats wonderful too, even if there isnt any actual variety in story paths in gameplay. Although that would be even better, on top of that.

Edited by Sheikh