Why I like games like Pillars

I want to have a dangerous adventure, but also have thought behind it.

Counter strike/Chivalry = Pure dangerous adventure

IWD = Dangerous adventure with thought behind it

Torment/BG2 = Dangerous adventure with thought and emotion behind it (Torment more in the form of story?, BG2 more in the form of character interaction?)

But I already stopped playing after IWD because I dont dig the emotion part at all. Safe.

So if Pillars was the BG, then if there was an IWD equivalent available to Pillars I would prefer that, but since there isnt (sadly), this romance and companions thing you guys talk of will supposedly be a new thing for me. I will see how it goes down for me.

I play games for entertainment, as an escape from the problems, stress or boredom of the mundane world.  I can step into a role playing game and become anything I like.  Do things I can't possibly do in real life.  For a time I, through my character, am the most import, the most powerful being in the world.  

What I want in a role playing game is story, characters that come alive, that I can care about or dislike, even hate.   Motivation is important to me, choices are too.  I prefer the open world, non-linear games.  I enjoy exploring a world, maybe coming across a lost child that needs guidance home.  Simple quests  or elaborate ones, I like a mixture.  I prefer the party based games to the solo ones but played the TES games and enjoyed them but usually ended up adding companion mods to make them more interesting.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

for me it's foremost that it's a party-rpg developped exclusively for PC, it's also isometric and the angle is ok for the most part. Games with 3d / rotating combined with flashing lights sometimes cause migraine and sickness with me so i'm grateful for PoE.

Edited by 4ward

Games with 3d / rotating combined with flashing lights sometimes cause migraine and sickness with me so i'm grateful for PoE.

I agree with you but for me it moreover just looks really ****ing ugly as well. So thats why I like the isometric as well, it honestly looks better than most 3d.

Edited by Sheikh

Torment/BG2 = Dangerous adventure with thought and emotion behind it (Torment more in the form of story?, BG2 more in the form of character interaction?)

But I already stopped playing after IWD because I dont dig the emotion part at all. Safe.

So if Pillars was the BG, then if there was an IWD equivalent available to Pillars I would prefer that, but since there isnt (sadly), this romance and companions thing you guys talk of will supposedly be a new thing for me. I will see how it goes down for me.

There will be no romance in PoE.

There will be no romance in PoE.

Just as well I'd say. So few of them come off right anyway. They are either contrived or so ham fistedly done as to be comical. The only one I've ever thought worked was Morrigan in DA:O

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm looking forward to PoE because it will be something new. Considering the design team it has I already expect it will be well written and well laid out. I expect the characters to be interesting and the world well fleshed out. The past work of the Obsidian team in KOTOR2, FO:NV, and the BI games for those still around, has raised a pretty high bar on these expectations.

But this game will be a new world, no old canon to follow. No franchise to continue. They can cut something new from whole cloth. A complete world of their own making. And if it's done well I certainly hope it will not be the last.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm looking forward to PoE because it will be something new. 

But this game will be a new world, no old canon to follow. 

Nooo...it is very old, its infinity from 2000!

No franchise to continue

How innovative of them not to continue a franchise.

And if it's done well I certainly hope it will not be the last.

Sure

No franchise to continue

Sure

54993854.jpg

Boohoo mean :(

No, really, I wasn't sure... :grin:  Sorry, must be my lack of English :facepalm:

Ok, to turn this into valid addition on topic, I’m excited for this game because of three reason: a) developers behind it and their openness to the community (plus it sounds like they’re having fun with it too); b) neat marketing materials I’ve seen so far (graphics, trailer, info, etc.) promising great game and c) alternative to BioWare games. Not that I do not like BW games, but it feels that they are the only ones left producing good RPG (no Japanase MMO, please :S). Some healthy compatition won't hurt.

No franchise to continue

Sure

Yeah, I get that the IE is not new and this is hardly the first game to use it. But as a PC game engine is has always worked well IMO and there is a lot more to a game that eye-popping 3D graphics. I've played a lot of pretty games that just stunk.

Thomas Sowell

I'm going through BG1 and BG2 enhanced editions at the moment and planning to pick up the Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale at some point. I have my old copies sitting on the shelves, but being able to play these enhanced edition on my modern PC is really nice. I think the thing I like most about Pillars of Eternity is that it seems to be a game in a style I like, made with more modern tech that I won't have to worry about not getting along with my current PC.

I have so many games that refuse to work, or are very wonky, on modern PC hardware, it's a little frustrating to not be able to go back to some of my old gems. New projects like Pillars, and places like GoG, are making great strides to help me out in those respects. Pillars was worth supporting as a concept before it came this far, to me, because it supported something I wanted, but it wasn't just supporting this game, but games like it. I hope that if Pillars turns out to be even a modest success that it, and other projects like it, will inspire a whole world of new and great RPGs.

• Like 1

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice