What You See Is What You Get Loot System

Sensuki

If they do this, they will either need to rebalance sell prices so the PC isnt swimming in cash from selling fine items or ensure the npcs drop mostly crap versions of the gear. If enemies drop mostly crap versions of gear, looting will become a chore. It was easy in the IE games to differentiate between the magic stuff that was worth using/selling but in PoE not so much. I always end up grabbing everything and dumping it in the stash. This may end up cluttering that up a bit with items of various quality. Selling will suck...

Also, as an aside, even with the quick loot ui from the EE versions, I am finding looting downed enemies in IWD to be kinda cumbersome. The PoE loot ui is less easy to navigate...

I must say, they can have OK WYSIWYG loot if they have really clear icons that show which items are regular crap and which ones are worth it. It would also be nice if items could be taggable as junk (ala WL2) and all regular gear got tagged automatically as such. If they had that and a one click sell all junk button at stores, that would make a WYSIWYG system more attractive.

To do this right would take a while. Would it be worth it?

Edited by Shevek

Dropping usless stuff from enemies is crappy. You kill hordes of goblins and get the same useless staff all the time. What's the purpose? Just to be "realistic" and "immersive"? No, I didn't like that much in IE (I liked it at start, but after a wile it became annoying). Have some basic equipment for me to loot at early areas in racks or crates or whatever. Enemies should drop only useful stuff, like gold, mats or special items.

So, no, I wouldn't like the IE loot style back.

Especially early on as I am desperate for +1 gear, I end up shifting through everything. So, Ill go into Kresselacks and butcher an entire army of undead. I do find a magical sword or two but I need to wade through a ton of crap. Also, if I want the gold, ammo and gems, I have click past tons of garbage. Its clunky.

I'm sorry but I really don't see what that has to do with the style of loot you get. It does have everything to do with the inventory UI, however.

Currently the stash is sorted by item type and it's very easy to find items if you put them in there. The standard inventory has filters, and containers have a TAKE ALL BUTTON.

I have made two mock ups with a Titan Quest auto-sort feature as well.

Despite the fact that I hate the layout of the PE inventory, it is easy to find any item you want.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Do people have some kind of OCD where they have to check every dead goblin corpse?

Too many Mass Effect players on these forums it seems.

What's so bad about playing Mass Effect? Is this elitism I notice here?

I heard DA:I is finally released, so go play it and stop polluting these forums.

Edited by Seari

If you read my post rather than jump at the chance to assault me with funny internet pics, you would have noticed that I mentioned the UI. Its not just the loot ui that is an issue. Selling will also be a chore if they adopt a WYSIWYG loot system. I stated such a system could be fine but there would need to be substantive changes to the ui and item icons.

NCarver recommended that I bring this issue up on the discussion forums instead of reporting bugs about it.

I'm going to use the dreaded opener that Sedrifilos hates so much :

IN THE INFINITY ENGINE GAMES enemies dropped the loot that they had equipped. Enemies wearing Leather Armor +1, a Helmet, A Large Shield +1 and a Long Sword +1 dropped Leather Armor +1, a Helmet, A Large Shield +1 and a Long Sword +1 and whatever other hand placed or randomized loot assigned to them.

This currently does not happen in Pillars of Eternity. Some enemies, mostly named enemies, drop most of the loot they have equipped - such as Medreth's group - they drop most of their equipped items (but only one Hood as opposed to four, and Medreth no longer drops his armor). However mook enemies drop none of their gear.

If you kill a House Harond Guard equipped in Chain Armor, wearing a Helmet and some sort of Pollaxe, he drops ... like 9 copper pieces and that's it. Enemies in the Dyrford Ruins don't drop any of their cool armor, gear or headwear. There are guys in there wearing Exceptional Leather Armor carrying Exceptional Sabre's and other weapons - but they don't drop anything except some money.

The thugs in the recent Pillars of Eternity stream that attacked Aloth in Gilded Vale all had equipped weapons and cloth outfits, they dropped ... nothing except some money.

It was my impression that the loot system in Pillars of Eternity was supposed to be "What You See Is What You Get", as in, if an enemy has an item equipped, or is carrying an item - they drop those items. This is not what happens in Pillars of Eternity at present, either because there is no system set up for non party members to drop their items (and all instances have to be manually corrected by a designer) or it is not intended.

I would very much like WYSIWYG Loot, I would like to know if it is planned or intended and if not, I would like to strongly advocate for it.

100% agree.

Yesss!

• Like 1

I don't get it. Do people have some kind of OCD where they have to check every dead goblin corpse?

Too many Mass Effect players on these forums it seems.

What's so bad about playing Mass Effect? Is this elitism I notice here?

I heard DA:I is finally released, so go play it and stop polluting these forums.

So I pollute the forums because I say my oppinion about a subject open for discussion? OK whatever you say.

Like one can't enjoy BG2 and Mass Effect both for what they are. If you can't do that, ok not other peoples problem and most important: THIS ISN'T MAKING YOU BETTER/SUPERIOR that others.

Anyway, the subject is the loot system, I only quoted Sensuki's post because he implied that the opinion of people who play games he doesen't like has less value.

I said what I had to say about looting; there is not much to discuss anyway, so I'm leaving the thread for you to purify it.

• Like 8

So I pollute the forums because I say my oppinion about a subject open for discussion? OK whatever you say.

Like one can't enjoy BG2 and Mass Effect both for what they are. If you can't do that, ok not other peoples problem and most important: THIS ISN'T MAKING YOU BETTER/SUPERIOR that others.

You can, but only if you think Mass Effect would be better if it had more BG2 in it instead of other way around.
  • Like 2

I can't stress enough how much I support WYSIWYG loot system. Not only is it far more realistic, but it also solves a problem I have with a lot of RPGs: I don't like being encouraged to pick everything up. I want some tat to drop (like it would in real life) so that I actualy think about what I do and do not want to keep. I don't just want a big "loot all" button that I mindlessly click 7 times after every battle.

You might be in a wrong game then. PoE will have endless stash and there will be no reason to not click loot all as everything extra goes magically to the stash.
  • Like 2

I can't stress enough how much I support WYSIWYG loot system. Not only is it far more realistic, but it also solves a problem I have with a lot of RPGs: I don't like being encouraged to pick everything up. I want some tat to drop (like it would in real life) so that I actualy think about what I do and do not want to keep. I don't just want a big "loot all" button that I mindlessly click 7 times after every battle.

You might be in a wrong game then. PoE will have endless stash and there will be no reason to not click loot all as everything extra goes magically to the stash.

A lot of us are, but it's not like there are a lot of alternatives.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 1

Indeed. If I hear a sincere reference to realism again, I'll ROFLMAO. Not many people seem to know PoE's game system. No wonder, with all these references to Mass Effect, which I have never played. Perhaps it's a good game series. I have no clue. Space CRPGs aren't doing it for me - post-apocalyptic ones - sometimes - and then we have the cool Millions of Years Into the Future with Plenty of Dimensions-ones, which I adore.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That's exactly the reason I dislike the stash system and would be glad to see it removed.

• Like 3

I was under a very strong impression that loot was WYSIWYG in PE... if it isn't, it should to change.

I always hated RPGs where that's not the case. I like the idea of my enemies wearing and using the very same items I have access to, and adhering to the same rules as my own party members. If I then beat an enemy who is more well equipped *cough* than myself, I'd like to pick up his items, and effectively turn myself into a better version of him.

• Like 6
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"