The Game Awards Nominations

Keyrock

So, I'm not a big fan of award shows.  I'm not so much against awards in themselves, I just think the shows always suck because they're filled with lame jokes and self-congratulatory **** sucking (lord knows VGX has been awful).  That said, I'll give this one a chance simply because it's brand new and I'm not going to condemn and/or avoid something like this without at least giving it a chance once.  For all the flak the Dorito Pope has received in the past, he is putting up some of his own money for this, he has defended video games in the past in the face of ridiculous accusations, and he did not throw gamers under the bus when many other journalists did not so long ago.  Anyway, here are the nominations for the awards.  Discuss.

GAME OF THE YEAR
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR
Blizzard Entertainment
Monolith Productions
Nintendo
Telltale Games
Ubisoft Montreal

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME
Broken Age: Act 1
Monument Valley
Shovel Knight
Transistor
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD GAME
Bravely Default
Monument Valley
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Threes!

BEST NARRATIVE
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Walking Dead: Season Two
The Wolf Among Us
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Wolfenstein: The New Order

BEST SCORE/SOUNDTRACK
Alien: Isolation (Joe Henson and Alexis Smith)
Child of Light (Coeur de pirate)
Destiny (Marty O’Donnell)
Sunset Overdrive (Boris Salchow)
Transistor (Darren Korb)

BEST PERFORMANCE
Adam Harrington as Bigby Wolf, The Wolf Among Us
Kevin Spacey as Jonathan Irons, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Melissa Hutchison as Clementine, The Walking Dead: Season Two
Trey Parker as Various Voices, South Park: The Stick of Truth
Troy Baker as Talion, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

GAMES FOR CHANGE
Never Alone
The Last of Us: Left Behind
Mountain
This War of Mine
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Destiny
Far Cry 4
Titanfall
Wolfenstein: The New Order

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE
Alien: Isolation
Assassin’s Creed Unity
Bayonetta 2
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME
Bravely Default
Dark Souls 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Dragon Age: Inquisition
South Park: The Stick of Truth

BEST FIGHTING GAME
Killer Instinct: Season 2
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Ultra Street Fighter 4

BEST FAMILY GAME
Disney Infinity 2.0
Fantasia: Music Evolved 
Mario Kart 8 
Skylanders Trap Team 
Tomodachi Life

BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME
FIFA 15 
Forza Horizon 2 
Mario Kart 8
NBA 2K15
Trials Fusion

BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE
Dark Souls 2
Destiny
Titanfall

BEST REMASTER
Grand Theft Auto 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Pokémon Omega Ruby/Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
The Last of Us Remastered 
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
Batman: Arkham Knight
Bloodborne
Evolve
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

ESPORTS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Martin “Rekkles” Larsson (League of Legends)
Xu “Fy” Linsen (Dota 2)
James “Firebat” Kostesich (Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft)
Christopher “GeT_RiGhT” Alesund (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
Matt “NaDeSHoT” Haag (Call of Duty)

ESPORTS TEAM OF THE YEAR
Samsung White (League of Legends)
Evil Geniuses (Dota 2)
Edward Gaming (League of Legends)
Newbee (Dota 2)
Ninjas in Pajamas (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)

TRENDING GAMER
Evan “Vanoss” Fong
Jeff Gerstmann
PewDiePie
StampyLongHead
TotalBiscuit

BEST FAN CREATION
“BEST Zelda Rap EVER!!” By Egoraptor
Luigi Death Stare by CZBwoi and Rizupicorr
“Mine the Diamond (Minecraft Song)” by Tobuscus
Minecraft – Titan City by Colonial Puppet
Twitch Plays Pokemon by Anonymous

Game of the Year seems reasonable.  I'm obviously picking Bayonetta 2 as I consider it one of the best games ever made.  Developer of the Year... Ubisoft Montreal?  What the ****?  Multiple majorly horrible launches and one of your founders leaving gets you nominated for developer of the year?  Not a fan of Broken Age getting nominated for anything.  It's a relatively good half a game, but it's still half a game.  I feel only full games should be nominated for anything.  A lot of the rest of the stuff I either don't know enough about to comment or don't care enough about to comment.
Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No Wasteland 2? DoritoPope can **** right off to Doritos flavored Mountain Dew then.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

--

other than that, seems fairly predictable - where's Wasteland 2 though? 

No Wasteland 2? DoritoPope can **** right off to Doritos flavored Mountain Dew then.

Agreed, Wasteland 2 is a glaring omission from RPG of the Year.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

All the list shows is the overwhelming influence of the larger developers over the organization behind these awards. Separating independent games is really telling, that way its easier to effectively throw them out of the competition for the only nomination that matters, that being the game of the year.

In other words, its just marketing.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Not sure what the voing is like but here re my types:

1) Hearthstone or Shadow of Mordor

2) Most likely Blizzard

3) No idea

4) I know only Hearthstone form that list

5-7) Can't say

8) Probably Valliant Hearts

9) Wolfenstein  I guess, but Titanfall seemed good too

10) Would love Alien, but it is not that actiony, so probably MiddleEarth

11) I would say Divinity, because Southpark is well Southpark ;)

12-14) No idea

15) Hearthstone, because others do not offer anything unique from other FPS games in that regard.

16) dunno

17) The Witcher 3

18) I'd say either Fy or Get_Right, just because of the skill required in those games. I'd say that Fy plays made his team win over 5mln USD during the year though.

19) NewBee - they were 1 game from elimination in the group stages, and then went on to winning 5+ mln USD during The International 4. That is a story about team spirit and resolve, especially in a tourny that offers this much money for the first place.

20-21) I have no idea.

Separating independent games is really telling, that way its easier to effectively throw them out of the competition for the only nomination that matters, that being the game of the year.

I don't mid there also being a separate Indie Game category, but Shovel Knight probably should have gotten a nod in Game of the Year.  It's spectacularly good.  Not sure which one of the 5 I'd kick out to make room, though.  Probably Dark Souls 2, but my experience with it is very limited, given I don't own it (nor do I intend to), so my opinion on the matter is not very qualified.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I voting south park all the way. Havent played da:i but have played dos and while i had fun with dos, i had even more fun with the south park game (shoot me i dont care lol). If south park doesnt win, i hope divinity does buttttt im really seeing dragon age win that.

Nice to see Obsidian in there (narrative).

Kevin Spacey is the one reason I might've bought that game. But I didn't.

Ubisoft...blargh.

The idea of a Gaming awards is kinda cool I guess. If the movies can have their self-marketing Oscars, why not games industry. I'd certainly be curious what kind of "show" they put on.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ubisoft...blargh.

The idea of a Gaming awards is kinda cool I guess. If the movies can have their self-marketing Oscars, why not games industry. I'd certainly be curious what kind of "show" they put on.

I don't like the Oscars or any other self aggrandizing, self fellating show. I don't see why games need one, particularly since any game that's bound to get an award would had been hyped to the moon and back.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What's "GAMES FOR CHANGE" supposed to be?

I assume games that you can buy for less than a dollar(or equivalent currency) because they don't look very good.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nice to see This War of Mine get some much deserved publicity, because the media has almost totally ignored it seems, though personally i'd say that it is a management/survival sim with realistic horror elements. I suppose it can change things with the link to the Warchild charity, but otherwise i'm not seeing what it will change.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't like the Oscars or any other self aggrandizing, self fellating show. I don't see why games need one, particularly since any game that's bound to get an award would had been hyped to the moon and back.

Well, of course no awards shows "need" to exist. It's that simply from a viewer perspective, sometimes they're amusing to watch. eg, it's just more entertainment.

Billy Crystal was still the best Oscar host ever, imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ubisoft...blargh.

I will say i was very cautious about south park being on uplay...if im not mistaken, i didnt have to use uplay at all. Granted i got my off steam and i know some peoples opionions on that which is for a different thread. BUT if ur worried about uplay being tacked on, u have no worries whatsoever then as u dont have to mess with it at all. Great game and ifbur a south park fan and/or dontvget offended easily, it is soooo worth the buy imho. Playing as kids who are playing as fantasy tropes was surprisingly a breath of fresh air to the rehash of most fantasy games ive played in a while.

If yal cant tell, south park stick of truth allll the way for me, sorry divinity sin :-(

Can it be that we're actually getting oversaturated with video game award shows?

Aside from South Park and Broken Age, I have not played any of those games. And even with those two, I think I have barely an hour played on both combined, according to Steam.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think we're probably oversaturated on any/all "reality" type shows, awards or not. :lol:

Nice to see Wolfenstein: The New Order getting nominated for best narrative, especially considering its prominent features (gory action), and I actually think it deserves the nomination. :)

The music in Child of Light is brilliant. My daughter loved that game.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***