Interesting Companions

Well, interesting characters (not only party members) is a cornerstone of any story, IMHO.  After all, why bother saving a village if you don’t even care about people living there? 

I dont need to know their soullife to care about them.

My favourite NPCs were ones from NWN. I remember one guy telling a story about his sick wife who he had to kill out of mercy. 

People die every day who cares?

Edited by Sheikh

After playing wasteland 2 I realized one of the biggest strengths in these kind of games it to have interesting characters you care about. In wasteland 2 there was no interesting npc besides rose. Can't force myself to finish wasteland 2 because of this. Your game turns into a isometric dungeon crawl like path of xulima and wasteland 2 when there is dull character writing, story, etc,

I don't have problems playing IWD multiple times. But I do prefer BG1&2 even when I would run with self made party.

People are different. But if I run with companions I rather run with BG ones than NWN2 ones. Or a mix. I want loud and noticeable but also layered once you talk to them more.

As for WL2, there are multiple interesting ones. SPOILERS NEXT: Angela Deth is all gritty except when it is connected with Ace. She even murders a guy that traveled with Ace and ran away once the Synth arrived. The "native" girl from Highpool is actually faking being native because she gets away with more that way. 

She even murders a guy

WHOM DID SHE MURDER? I think its a far more important question who got killed, not who did it.

that traveled with Ace and ran away once the Synth arrived. The "native" girl from Highpool is actually faking being native because she gets away with more that way. 

And why do you care about that?

This is not an insult, I am just genuinely trying to understand.

What? She murdered a snake squeezings salesman who ran away from a fight he could not win anyways.

And of course it is important who did it when it is your most useful companion and one that scolds you when you **** up during combat or in non-combat situations. She does it from the position of authority and she loses some when she does what she does which is against Desert Ranger "code". 

Why do I care about second part or first part? I care because they travel with you and fight with you. Lying to you or suddenly doing dishonorable things is not what you expect from those that you share life and death with.

Edited by archangel979

a snake squeezings salesman who ran away from a fight he could not win anyways.

That says ****ing nothing important about the poor person WHO GOT KILLED.

And of course it is important who did it

It is never important, period. You barely need to know who did it to punish them and thats that.

She does it from the position of authority and she loses some when she does what she does with is against Desert Ranger "code". 

WAT?

you expect 

You dont actually expect anything from anyone do you? That would be very unwitting of you.

BTW, Minsc has become a canon D&D character and now he is even in a comic book. I don't see NWN2 OE characters getting same treatment.

So, let get back to the start. Will PoE have awesome and memorable companions with memorable and fun voice sets?

Will those character be able to present their personality in a fun way even without the need to go into serious conversations with them (Kotor 2 style)?

If your barometer for interesting and memorable companions is Minsc, then you might want to play another game. Might I suggest the recently released Dragon Age: Inquisition?

As stated before, Obsidian companions have plenty of memorable voice sets. Start up MoTB and bring up the order menu to check them all out.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

More than having "interesting" companions, I'm more curious if I'll actually like any of them. I'm very picky. However Planescape: Torment had the most interesting characters in any RPG I've played so far regardless of whether I liked them or not, they were very unique.

To give you some perpective, I liked:

- Planescape Torment: Fall-from-grace.

- Baldur's Gate series: Viconia and Edwin.

- K.O.T.O.R 2: Kreia and Visas.

- Neverwinter Nights 2: Safiya and One-of-Many.

- Dragon Age Origins: Morrigan.

Characters that are unique is what interests me. Having a demon, or a dragon, or a necromancer bent on world domination as a companion is interesting but another human fighter or an elf wizard is plain boring. Someone that is mysterious and makes you wonder "why" or "who" is also interesting.

a snake squeezings salesman who ran away from a fight he could not win anyways.

That says ****ing nothing important about the poor person WHO GOT KILLED.

And of course it is important who did it

It is never important, period. You barely need to know who did it to punish them and thats that.

She does it from the position of authority and she loses some when she does what she does with is against Desert Ranger "code". 

WAT?

you expect 

You dont actually expect anything from anyone do you? That would be very unwitting of you.

So you ignored all I said and put things into my mouth. Talk to someone else please. I don't care to reply anymore to you.

BTW, Minsc has become a canon D&D character and now he is even in a comic book. I don't see NWN2 OE characters getting same treatment.

So, let get back to the start. Will PoE have awesome and memorable companions with memorable and fun voice sets?

Will those character be able to present their personality in a fun way even without the need to go into serious conversations with them (Kotor 2 style)?

If your barometer for interesting and memorable companions is Minsc, then you might want to play another game. Might I suggest the recently released Dragon Age: Inquisition?

As stated before, Obsidian companions have plenty of memorable voice sets. Start up MoTB and bring up the order menu to check them all out.

Minsc is very memorable and in his way he is also interesting. I also found Kreia and HK-47 interesting but in another way (conversations about life and morality with Kreia were good and HK-47 made me laugh in every conversation). I don't remember any MotB NPCs well enough to give my opinion on them which probably means they were not very interesting. I found multiple PST NPCs interesting (Morte, Dakkon, Fall from Grace). 

No, I don't want to play DAI. And not because of NPCs, I value good gameplay over other things and DAI does not have that.