The culture of Rape, Bill Cosby Story

BruceVC

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/20/opinion/hill-bill-cosby-case-rape-culture/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

This article raises 6 thought provoking and sobering points around the culture of rape that exists in certain levels of society

Most of us should be aware of the various rape allegations through the years directed towards Bill Cosby. Personally I didn't want to really believe it but the latest accusations have made me look at him in a different and more critical light

This whole Cosby furore raises some interesting and pertinent societal questions. Like "do we seem to give celebrities more leeway around these types of crimes"

Do we assume any allegation "can't be true, the person claiming it must just want money ". One of the reasons is  we probably think  "how could Cosby be a habitual rapist when he has everything he wants and surly doesn't need to rape any women"

It reminds of the antics of the depraved Jimmy Saville who for years was able to abuse young women and basically got away with it because of his celebrity status

There is some good news, I believe we live in a era where this type of crime is less and less likely to be ignored. So it makes no difference if you are a celebrity or not...you will be prosecuted

Anyway I grew up watching the Cosby show so I'm genuinely disappointed in what I believe are real charges that Bill Cosby needs to face and account for.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

From what i see he is likely guilty on somethings.

That said, this idea there's a 'rape culture' is pure bull.

\

\The article is simply about hating men. Because, all men are rapist sexist racist monsters.

Only scumbag nazis think that.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

From what i see he is likely guilty on somethings.

That said, this idea there's a 'rape culture' is pure bull.

\

\The article is simply about hating men. Because, all men are rapist sexist racist monsters.

Only scumbag nazis think that.

You see this is the type of response that is unhelpful to this debate

Lets try to have this discussion outside the context of GG :)

I am raising the issue of how as a society we seem to almost ignore allegations of rape and certain bad behaviour when it comes celebrities. And it begs the question "why "

I doubt anyone outside of showbiz could have gotten away with this type of behaviour for so long as Cosby if he wasn't famous?

And Jimmy Saville is another example

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"But it's deeper than that. We live in a society where even the most ordinary and anonymous of accused rapists is offered the benefit of social and legal doubt"

I guess nature wills out; how can you expect me to take this man seriously when he is making dangerous statements such as this?

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The phrase 'rape culture' is extremely unhelpful in dealing with the horrible issue of rape and sexual assault.

"I am raising the issue of how as a society we seem to almost ignore allegations of rape and certain bad behaviour when it comes celebrities. And it begs the question "why "

I doubt anyone outside of showbiz could have gotten away with this type of behaviour for so long as Cosby if he wasn't famous?"

Kiddin' right? No doubt plenty of non famous people get away with rape. It's sad but true. In fact, we only hear about these allegations BECAUSE he is famous.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"But it's deeper than that. We live in a society where even the most ordinary and anonymous of accused rapists is offered the benefit of social and legal doubt"

I guess nature wills out; how can you expect me to take this man seriously when he is making dangerous statements such as this?

There is an entire article that raises some interesting points, you don't need to agree with everything the journalist says

But to seemingly dismiss everything because of one comment....it doesn't seem reasonable?

John Milton 

I don't know about rape culture, but that is technically correct. We do give people accused of rape a benefit of a doubt.

Probably because we should.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

On the Broadcasting House of BBC, translated from Latin:

"It is their prayer that good seed sown may bring forth a good harvest, that all things hostile to peace or purity may be banished from this house."

Sadly, this prayer was far too weak to counter the hostile, the non-peaceful and the dirty.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't know about rape culture, but that is technically correct. We do give people accused of rape a benefit of a doubt.

Isn't that a standard procedure in any democratic law system to give a benefit of a doubt to ALL people regardles of the accusation before trial?

I don't know who Bill is, but if a rich white guy is being accused of rape then there is a change in the world.

Yes it is (I think), and that's the way it should be. Not just with rape, but every accusation.

Also, rich white guys get accused of rape too.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Isn't that a standard procedure in any democratic law system to give a benefit of a doubt to ALL people regardles of the accusation before trial?

I don't know who Bill is, but if a rich white guy is being accused of rape then there is a change in the world.

You don't know who Bill Cosby is?

He is considered one of the worlds best comedians. But I don't understand your point about a " rich white guy is being accused of rape "....what do you mean?

John Milton 

Also, rich white guys get accused of rape too.

I just checked the story, I was wrong Bill is in fact an old, ugly black guy. So they will crucify him.

Any examples you could provide for the young, good looking white guy accused of rape?

Good looking is a bit subjective, but yeah. In my America's most Wanted book there was a rich, handsome, 20 somethin', white guy who raped like 10 women. I can't remember his name, but the book was called, "No Mercy" by John Walsh. It contained a lot of cases and I can't remember the names of any of the crooks, but I vaguely remember the stories.

EDIT: Crap, maybe it was, "Tears of Rage" by John Walsh. They're basically the same book, but with different cases. One of those books has the story. I read them both like... 4 years ago when visiting my mother. She always collects creepy crime books.

Edited by Namutree

He is considered one of the worlds best comedians. But I don't understand your point about a " rich white guy is being accused of rape "....what do you mean?

No I don't. I'm not american. From a brief check on the guy I vaguely remember some sitcom that was aired in TV but really long ago so I don't remember.

I thought he is some american celebrity from your comment on him. Now I checked the article you reffered and I know he is not what i thought.

Bill Cosby is an American Icon; above some petty celebrity. If he is indeed guilty; it will be a large blow to our culture. He was the guy who convinced many racists that black people are just trying to get along like the rest of us. His was a great American sitcom that put a black family in a positive light, and his show was funny/family friendly. 

I'll be very sad if the allegations are true.:( :( :(

• Like 2

No I don't. I'm not american. From a brief check on the guy I vaguely remember some sitcom that was aired in TV but really long ago so I don't remember.

I thought he is some american celebrity from your comment on him. Now I checked the article you reffered and I know he is not what i thought.

Yes he is an American celebrity? He was\is a much respected comedian

And yes you right, you probably know him from the Cosby Show

John Milton 

So... your example is a maybe case from some time ago you read in a book. Not a strong backup of your statement.

To be clear I'm not referring to serial killers (rape + killing) kind of accusation where the perpetrator is clearly a nut job.

Well, it was off the top of my head. It's not like I keep a mental list of accused rapists.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

Bill Cosby is an American Icon; above some petty celebrity. If he is indeed guilty; it will be a large blow to our culture. He was the guy who convinced many racists that black people are just trying to get along like the rest of us. His was a great American sitcom that put a black family in a positive light, and his show was funny/family friendly. 

I'll be very sad if the allegations are true. :( :( :(

Agreed, he did a lot in his own way for race relations

But I don't think his actions should diminish his contribution towards the greater cause of racial harmony

John Milton 

Agreed, he did a lot in his own way for race relations

But I don't think his actions should diminish his contribution towards the greater cause of racial harmony

IF he's guilty. We'll see where this all goes. I'm really hoping he's innocent. I haven't seen the evidence yet; so I still have hope for him. This is the first national crime case where I'm emotionally biased. I definitely would excuse myself if I was chosen to determine his guilt or innocence.

Maybe there is a difference in the meaning behind the word between USA and Poland. We call celebrity a person who is "known for being known" not the actual famous person.

We consider celebrities to be more in line with Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton.

That is hilarious. I'll be adopting that version of the word! :) That made my day!

media can either convict him or make him innocent because of the jury system in US.

I don't know about that. Most of the media was on a mission to convict George Zimmermin, but couldn't pull it off. They tried harder to convict him than I've ever seen them try to convict anyone. Even Michael Jackson; another guy they tried to convict, but couldn't due to lack of evidence.

And I think the accusations are fake. They accuse him now after all this years when he is old and probably want's some peace of mind to grab an easy dollar. There is no evidence now, just word against word so it practically is an media case and media can either convict him or make him innocent because of the jury system in US.

That's the unfortunate reality of these allegations, they have  been levelled against Cosby for years. These are not new accusations.  He also settled a case out of court a few years ago, I don't like to assume but this seems like a real case of " where there is smoke there is fire"

John Milton 

And I think the accusations are fake. They accuse him now after all this years when he is old and probably want's some peace of mind to grab an easy dollar. There is no evidence now, just word against word so it practically is an media case and media can either convict him or make him innocent because of the jury system in US.

That's the unfortunate reality of these allegations, they have  been levelled against Cosby for years. These are not new accusations.  He also settled a case out of court a few years ago, I don't like to assume but this seems like a real case of " where there is smoke there is fire"

My gut is telling me he's guilty. That's the worst part for me. I want him to be innocent, but he'll turn out to be guilty. The fates are always arrayed against me in these matters.

• Like 1

The exact opposite is true, to be accused of rape in today's media saturated world is practically to be painted guilty before anything is proven. An enormous blow to the accused in the eye of the public, prior to even stepping in court. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The exact opposite is true, to be accused of rape in today's media saturated world is practically to be painted guilty before anything is proven. An enormous blow to the accused in the eye of the public, prior to even stepping in court.

Which is probably one reason the law is the way it is. First impressions are always hard to shake off and an accusation is a "first Impression". It sticks in peoples minds and the thought that maybe there is something about it, can be almost impossible to get rid of. Even when proven 100% innocent by hard evidence, the ghost of the thought still lingers in peoples minds.

Which is one reason false accusations of things like rape, child molestation etc. ought to be punished to the same degree as the crime the victims of the accusations were accused of (because a false accusation can ruin a life as effectively as the actual crime).

That being said, there are a number of creepy people who have gotten away with too much for too Long, protected by their status and not least their connections. Australia had a case recently where a once popular actor turned out to be another "Jimmy Saville" abusing underage female cast members for years, whatshisname the Director hiding somewhere in Switzerland or whatever hidey hole, Hands in the air those who think Woody Allen didn't go where no man should go... etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Proper wealth redistribution in society, related to income size, would take much of their power away. As long as there is no such thing they can funnel their seemingly infinite resources into making charges go away, pay teams of lawyers to stall courts or find loopholes etc.

There really is no reason for an actor to be a millionaire in this universe, or any other. For all intents and purposes, their job contributes less to the society than a janitor. That doesn't mean that they should starve, but uncontrolled wealth (regardless of occupation) inevitably leads to two different justice systems, one for the affluent and one for the rest.

• Like 1

You mean Roman Polanski? That guy's life has been a bag of rabid cats. I find it interesting that even the victim claimed the trial against him was unfair, which should indicate... something. I don't know what, though. Either way, the guy is obviously mentally disturbed at this point (if he wasn't always) and I'd say he needs a stint in an asylum rather than a jail.

Edited by TrueNeutral

There were a lot of very dubious things about the charges against Polanski. Regardless, his reputation was very much ruined and the controversy will follow him for as long as he lives. 

He is small fry compared to the likes of Jimmy Saville though.