Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

"The game had tons of town hubs. Redcliffe, Skyhold, the various Keeps and merchants around the world. I get what you're saying, but it's not like there was only wildnerness and no shops."

Exactly. People who claim there are towns or other 'civilized' areas must not be playing it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

After fighting against dragons on several levels on Nightmare, and then trying them on Normal, I can with confidence say that the gap between dragons on Normal and Nightmare is much bigger than for run-of-the-mill monsters.

I'm on hard, and the gap in difficulty between my KE vs the Frostback and the one in Exalted Plains is staggering. The Frostback almost wiped my party while the other was killed without anyone dying. Admittedly the later had a weakness to Spirit, but it still feels strange.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm on easy and have a hard time fighting Rift demons. My party is too scared to face dragons.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It looks like Dragon Age games.  The Inquisiotr can throw that chain over 100 yards the same way the rogue can disseappear, the same way the mage can  create fireballs, and the same way the warrior can taunt enemies.

No, it is not the same way, it is stupid and childish, they add that feature with Spiderman and Batman in mind

The game is very pretty. The difference between areas creates the illusion of a bigger world, but I feel the map scale makes the areas look bigger than they are, or I'm too lost in the world to notice time passing. Having certain quests be marked in an obscured circle is a good idea IMO, it is a balance between GPS and no map markers that feels natural(someone marking a rough location on a map).

The NPCs are all pretty good, with the exception of Sera. Dorian is probably the most entertaining to watch interact with others and Iron Bull is convincing as a burned out veteran. Vivienne is probably the closest to Lawful Evil we're going to see in DA on the protagonists side.

I'm fifty+ hours in and looks like there will be a lot more, but a lot of the side content could use polish. I like the idea of the operations a lot, but sometimes the execution is off. I would like to see the fetch quests relegated to operations(the soldiers can go get ram meat, I'm going to kill a Dragon) with upgrades to the Inquisition happening more often and coming both in the form of both craftables and perks. I'd also like the Inquisition perks to be separate from character abilities, particularly picking locks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"No, it is not the same way, it is stupid and childish, they add that feature with Spiderman and Batman in mind"

The one acting childish is you. Going on and on about a game and developer you hate. It's extreme temper tantrum. move on. It will lower your blood pressure. :)

"Vivienne is probably the closest to Lawful Evil we're going to see in DA on the protagonists side."

Uh... Loghain wants a word with you.

"I'd also like the Inquisition perks to be separate from character abilities, particularly picking locks."

Some good ideas but I don't like the idea of having it have no effect. It makes the inquisition perks more meaningful and more personal for the player for them to effect the character.

Is there a way to set up my companion's strategies in combat?

I hate having to micromanage every party member the entire combat, and would rather take control of one character and let the other three "auto fight".  But I've noticed that if I do that, the other three party members simply default to a regular attack -- they don't use their special abilities without me manually prompting it.

It became very apparent how frustrating this was when I was fighting a high-dragon.  I was using the mage to pepper it from afar, but noticed all my melee characters were doing was basic attacks, despite having full stamina and special abilities available to be used.

The only thing I could see was very limited options, but only to do with who the party members attack (do they attack the same person as the controlled party member does) and when to use potions.  Nothing about them using special abilities or in which order to use them when they're available.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Sadly, tatics screen is way dumbed down compared to both DA1 and DA2.

I do think there's another screen (on character sheets) that allows you choose how common it is for them to use their  chosen 8 abilities. Basically a choice of preferred/secondary/not at all.

But, that's it.

Edited by Volourn

Is there a way to set up my companion's strategies in combat?

I hate having to micromanage every party member the entire combat, and would rather take control of one character and let the other three "auto fight".  But I've noticed that if I do that, the other three party members simply default to a regular attack -- they don't use their special abilities without me manually prompting it.

It became very apparent how frustrating this was when I was fighting a high-dragon.  I was using the mage to pepper it from afar, but noticed all my melee characters were doing was basic attacks, despite having full stamina and special abilities available to be used.

The only thing I could see was very limited options, but only to do with who the party members attack (do they attack the same person as the controlled party member does) and when to use potions.  Nothing about them using special abilities or in which order to use them when they're available.

It's a bug. I get it now and then. Not sure what causes it. Normally they do use their abilities, a lot.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. We'll see if Act 2 and beyond let me down.

Got to Skyhold and got my specialization. I have to say they've done something really incredible here with their environments, both in scope and grandeur.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If Jesus says so, people kind of have to believe it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sooo Gaspard or Celene?

Blackmail all three and win the Game.

Edited by KaineParker

After going through the entire Orlesian ball sequence I know how the arishok felt. **** those guys burn it all to the ground.

I haven't done that part yet, any good?

The DA series proved to me that 2D/isometric RPGs are a proper platform and not merely a nostalgic throwback. I am loath to tolerate this WoW inspired, Frostbite induced over-the-shoulder gameplay in a game that tries to be a classic RPG. For one, moving around is an absolute chore, and it doesn't help that Bioware has a passion for abusing elevated terrain. In the IE days, all you had to do to move from one area of the map to another was a click, pathfinding willing. Now? It takes me 10 seconds of WASD just to get around a fallen tree, not to mention the time wasted on getting past chairs, broken tables, boulders, and a horse that stops galloping whenever it uses collision detection.

It's a chain reaction. Exploration is not fun because movement is not fun. Collection is not fun because exploration is not fun. Long treasure hunting chains eg the Astrarium quest, the Shards quest, the Bottles quest, etc. are not fun because collection is not fun. When you have a game where 99% of the gameplay involves moving around the map, poor movement mechanics simply destroys all enjoyment.

It's not even worth talking about the rest of the game. The movement ruins it.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Requisition quests are chores, literally.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."