I just checked their site, and Unity claims to be able to publish games in 64-bit Linux, so I don't see any reason why PoE won't be (and considering the map file sizes, it sounds like PoE would benefit well from 64-bit memory addressing). I have to admit though, I'm curious: what's wrong with keeping around the 32-bit libraries? It's not like modern hard drives are lacking in space, unless you've a small ssd.

I just checked their site, and Unity claims to be able to publish games in 64-bit Linux, so I don't see any reason why PoE won't be (and considering the map file sizes, it sounds like PoE would benefit well from 64-bit memory addressing). I have to admit though, I'm curious: what's wrong with keeping around the 32-bit libraries? It's not like modern hard drives are lacking in space, unless you've a small ssd.

Shadowrun was Unity as well and, AFAIK, there was 32-only build. As for "why," tl;dr version: because.

Supporting such games sends wrong signals to developers. In Linux world 64-bit is everywhere for some time.

3D acceleration was also broken for 32-bit programs on 64-bit system with Nvidia last Debian release. What happens 5 years later? 10? Who knows. Since there is no source (usually) I'd like my games to work as long as possible.

Also, this setup can break quite nicely whenever bug happens on distribution level. Sure, most of them where fixed by now (probably, *cough*), but I'm not really interested in encountering new ones there and I'm using testing releases once in a while.

Pillars of Bugothas

Well alrighty then.  I guess I've just never had any problems with the 32-bit libraries myself, except wherein I'm missing them (for WINE) in favor of the 64-bit ones. :)

I agree though, 32-bit is quite out of vogue and only becoming more esoteric from here, and I'm immensely pleased to have confirmation that we're getting a 64-bit release!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this whole thing reminded me of the flame about D:OS level editor being made for 64bit only and how they should have supported 32bit... in an era when there is no 32 bit hardware anymore for years and the only thing that could keep you at 32 bit is an outdated OS

well whether you use mac, win or linux, the 32bit libraries are needed for compatibility with older games

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

in an era when there is no 32 bit hardware anymore for years and the only thing that could keep you at 32 bit is an outdated OS

Welcome in 2015, creature from the future.

I’m not in a hurry to reach your timeframe, when I won’t be able to play games on my laptop anymore.

Unless you’re planning to give me a new one? In which case I thank you, a recent Thinkpad would be very nice ;)

in an era when there is no 32 bit hardware anymore for years and the only thing that could keep you at 32 bit is an outdated OS

Welcome in 2015, creature from the future.

I’m not in a hurry to reach your timeframe, when I won’t be able to play games on my laptop anymore.

Unless you’re planning to give me a new one? In which case I thank you, a recent Thinkpad would be very nice ;)

welcome to 2015 indeed... 32bit HW production (for desktops at least, i never dabbled in laptops) has stoped since the time of athlon 64 for AMD and core duo if not earlier for Intel... that was almost 10 years ago

anyway my quantum computer has no problems of that kind :thumbsup:

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

welcome to 2015 indeed... 32bit HW production (for desktops at least, i never dabbled in laptops) has stoped since the time of athlon 64 for AMD and core duo if not earlier for Intel... that was almost 10 years ago

anyway my quantum computer has no problems of that kind thumbsup.gif

Wow, I didn’t realize my laptop was that old!

But now that I think of it the model has been discontinued long ago.

Well, it wouldn’t be able to run PoE anyway ;)

Why need a 64 bit process when the game only use  max 2 gb ram...

Because there is absolutely no reason not to use an instruction set optimized for your architecture.

Higher RAM limit is a mere by-product of 64-bit architecture.

Don't worry, there is a instruction set that let you run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit processor, all new processors have that instructions.

Yes i know, my english sux.

Don't worry, there is a instruction set that let you run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit processor, all new processors have that instructions.

We can emulate 16 bit and commodore64 and run stuff on toasters too, but that doesn't change the fact that by now (desktop) linux users are just used to native 64 bit. I understand windows users still wind up with 32bit folders because proprietary software can be stuck in the past.

Having to import superfluous 32bit libs for proprietary software just grinds our gears, man. It's very nice that Obsidian will be delivering 64bit. 32bit stuff belong in a museum, along with software written in COBOL.

• Like 1

Fnord.

We can emulate 16 bit and commodore64 and run stuff on toasters too, but that doesn't change the fact that by now (desktop) linux users are just used to native 64 bit. I understand windows users still wind up with 32bit folders because proprietary software can be stuck in the past.

Having to import superfluous 32bit libs for proprietary software just grinds our gears, man. It's very nice that Obsidian will be delivering 64bit. 32bit stuff belong in a museum, along with software written in COBOL.

Don't worry is not a emulation.

Yes i know, my english sux.

Don't worry is not a emulation.

I don't worry because Adam Brennecke already told me what I want to hear: Native 64 bit linux version.

We plan on shipping a 64-bit version for Linux.

Fnord.