Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

whips n chains n wizzies

creative ideas wizards weapons

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There is no "dysfunctional communication", you are telling that Grumpymoose  is making "absolute facts" when in his text the word "sometimes" already discards that position. While you can have your opinion, and all will respect it, attacking other people just for the sake of it is not nice and probably that's why Lephys reacted.

Okay sorry grumpymoose I was wrong about that one.

But there is such a thing as dysfunctional communication.

Defending other people is still really dysfunctional though - you are discouraging them from defending themselves so they will never learn to do so. Considering grumpymoose is an adult who is capable of that. If you have a small child who is not, then it is understandable that you defend him, but not another adult. Thats hugely dysfunctional.

Edited by Sheikh, 27 November 2014 - 08:39 AM.

Failion

Failion

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

You think whips would be over powered in DnD and similiar fantasy settings. There is magic so why do the whips not wrap themselves around whatever they being whipped at and strangle disable them. 

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
@Sheikh:

Informing you of an apparent misunderstanding is not the same thing as defending someone. If you don't to know when you've misunderstood something, or you simply disagree with the notion that you have, then so be it. I just thought I would let you know, since wasting text arguing about how you shouldn't force your views onto other people, against someone who isn't trying to do that (but you believe them to be) does no one any good.

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

@Sheikh:

Informing you of an apparent misunderstanding is not the same thing as defending someone. If you don't to know when you've misunderstood something, or you simply disagree with the notion that you have, then so be it. I just thought I would let you know, since wasting text arguing about how you shouldn't force your views onto other people, against someone who isn't trying to do that (but you believe them to be) does no one any good.

Okay, thanks and thanks for letting me know of this as well. I apologize to grumpymoose once more for portraying him as unable to defend himself.

Edited by Sheikh, 30 November 2014 - 08:35 AM.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No worries, really. Just, if something someone says seems to come off a certain way, there's nothing wrong with simply asking them. It's easy to misconstrue things in an all-text environment, with no tone or inflection, etc. Not being psychic doesn't make you dumb or anything, :). I don't know exactly what people mean a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything. It's just, jumping to these conclusions so quickly isn't helping you, either. The most useful thing to do is always to make sure you're clear on someone's meaning before deciding what they mean, or what they're implying, etc.
  • Nakia likes this

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know exactly what people mean a lot of the time.

Whaaaat? Good to know, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: creative ideas, wizards, weapons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users