Okay, maybe not chains, but I thought it might be fun to have whips in game that would have melee reach of spears and such.  It'd be fun to have a cipher with a pistol style weapon and whip like Indy in these puzzled ruins and things we adventure through.  A lot of darker orientated characters might enjoy dishing out painful lashes to their foes before killing them.  It'd be a cool weapon and unique.  I dunno a fun idea but no neccessity.

After watching 20 vids on youtube, really feeling sorry for your version of the wizard class.  I was thinking you could give the undead summons of the chanter to the wizard.  Everyone says the chanters and ciphers are ruling as casters.  A wizard's strength was always his or her worldly knowledge in the mystics of magic (diversity).  I think that is why DnD had all sorts of varying schools for them.  Everyone has likely adventured and fought the arch villain evil necromancer of various lore before.  I know that PoE has it's own lore, maybe there  aren't any evil necromancers, but you know the wizzy needs some help :)  At low level, summon spells might be handy to provide that encounter to encounter sustainability and who knows with genies and djinns or devils and angels you could summon whatever in high lvls to further diversfy the class by interacting with the summons.

~Things I liked!:  I like the game look, like the monk don't piss me off or I'll dish a world of pain idea, druid hybrid shapeshifting idea, ranger and pet symbiosis idea, song creation of chanters, liked the storybook style arcs that certain places are made special, and like that you're doing your own thing and not feeling the licensing constraints nor creative boundaries of staying DnD.  There's a lot to love just watching others play it, but for now I'll play the EE Icewind Dale that's out.  Good luck in game making and am sure you have 10000s of requests. :)

I personally wouldn't mind metal-studded whips (or similar) being a weapon for stealth type of characters, if mechanics could be worked out for them...mostly because it'd be different from the usual melee weapons.

I don't see it happening in this game, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I would personally not mind seeing whips included as a flavour item. I mean, have them be bad as weapons, good reach but low damage, but make the magical versions uniquely enchanted or something. So it animates on its own to trip or entangle or the like.

whipping-021.gif

...yeah, feels like it'd be tough to animate in way that looked realistic/nice.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, before whatever big boss comes along that ends the game and you get the celebration bit, take some time out of your adventure to blow up every NPC in the game. Then loot their stuff. Then keep one merchant alive to sell it all to. Then blow him up to.

Then take on the big boss.

Well, before whatever big boss comes along that ends the game and you get the celebration bit, take some time out of your adventure to blow up every NPC in the game. Then loot their stuff. Then keep one merchant alive to sell it all to. Then blow him up to.

Then take on the big boss.

What is your point? Imaginary gold from the last merchant and then you kill him to get all your stuff back?

Sometimes gold, sometimes XP, sometimes to see how the game responds (summons the guard, kill the guard), sometimes just to see the level of detail such as that surprise NPC who turns out to be level 40... Some people do it just for the killing, me I like it just to see what 'else' the developers might have put into the game that I didn't or couldn't notice on a regular play through.

whipping-021.gif

...yeah, feels like it'd be tough to animate in way that looked realistic/nice.

I remember the flexible whip and chain type weapons in DAoC. They weren't the best animated things in the world, but people liked them anyways. I certainly mained a Heretic and loved my flexible weapon skill line. Sometimes the style in which you convey a thing is more important than it's realism, good presentation, or representation, of a thing is more likely to result in acceptance than realism when realism may be too hard to achieve. Even really high end budget games that attempt for realism over style, that have all the resources supposedly needed, still mess up realistic representations of things sometimes.

It's sort of an uncanny valley thing, only instead of making something look Human, it's a slightly different matter. We know how things move, so the more wonky a thing looks when it's trying to look real causes more notice, but, in contrast, going for a very stylized representation of how something moves, like a weapon, may end up looking less odd.

Edited by grumpymoose

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

Sometimes the style in which you convey a thing is more important than it's realism, good presentation, or representation, of a thing is more likely to result in acceptance than realism when realism may be too hard to achieve. 

FOR YOU. Not for me. You were portraying purely your opinion as a generally regarded truth which it is not.

Even really high end budget games that attempt for realism over style, that have all the resources supposedly needed, still mess up realistic representations of things sometimes.

High budget means nothing other than it guarantees bureacracy in development, which makes it inefficient. Thats why some of those companies have like 1000+ employees and huge budgets, because they cant for the sake of them develop a game efficiently. Now compare that to Obsidian doing Pillars in what 2 years?

Sometimes the style in which you convey a thing is more important than it's realism, good presentation, or representation, of a thing is more likely to result in acceptance than realism when realism may be too hard to achieve.

FOR YOU. Not for me. You were portraying purely your opinion as a generally regarded truth which it is not.

Sheikh... please calm down. No one is assaulting you.

What he speaks is true. He said "sometimes," so it can't not be true, unless it's never the case. If you don't find that to be the case for you, then, by all means, express that and share your perspective on the matter. That's what discussion is for. However, you're being awfully defensive (almost to the point of retaliatory), whether you're intending to be or not.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If you don't find that to be the case for you, then, by all means, express that and share your perspective on the matter. That's what discussion is for. 

AND I DID. I was actually pointing out his dysfunctional communication. Lephys, you are defending him. Whom am I defending and how? I am defending noone. You are projecting your thoughts onto me Lephys which means you need to calm down.

Can I help you do that? I dont know what you like but this seems to help me:

Edited by Sheikh

If you don't find that to be the case for you, then, by all means, express that and share your perspective on the matter. That's what discussion is for. 

AND I DID. I was actually pointing out his dysfunctional communication. Lephys, you are defending him. Whom am I defending and how? I am defending noone. You are projecting your thoughts onto me Lephys which means you need to calm down.

Can I help you do that? I dont know what you like but this seems to help me:

There is no "dysfunctional communication", you are telling that Grumpymoose  is making "absolute facts" when in his text the word "sometimes" already discards that position. While you can have your opinion, and all will respect it, attacking other people just for the sake of it is not nice and probably that's why Lephys reacted.

There is no "dysfunctional communication", you are telling that Grumpymoose  is making "absolute facts" when in his text the word "sometimes" already discards that position. While you can have your opinion, and all will respect it, attacking other people just for the sake of it is not nice and probably that's why Lephys reacted.

Okay sorry grumpymoose I was wrong about that one.

But there is such a thing as dysfunctional communication.

Defending other people is still really dysfunctional though - you are discouraging them from defending themselves so they will never learn to do so. Considering grumpymoose is an adult who is capable of that. If you have a small child who is not, then it is understandable that you defend him, but not another adult. Thats hugely dysfunctional.

Edited by Sheikh

@Sheikh:

Informing you of an apparent misunderstanding is not the same thing as defending someone. If you don't to know when you've misunderstood something, or you simply disagree with the notion that you have, then so be it. I just thought I would let you know, since wasting text arguing about how you shouldn't force your views onto other people, against someone who isn't trying to do that (but you believe them to be) does no one any good.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Sheikh:

Informing you of an apparent misunderstanding is not the same thing as defending someone. If you don't to know when you've misunderstood something, or you simply disagree with the notion that you have, then so be it. I just thought I would let you know, since wasting text arguing about how you shouldn't force your views onto other people, against someone who isn't trying to do that (but you believe them to be) does no one any good.

Okay, thanks and thanks for letting me know of this as well. I apologize to grumpymoose once more for portraying him as unable to defend himself.

Edited by Sheikh

No worries, really. Just, if something someone says seems to come off a certain way, there's nothing wrong with simply asking them. It's easy to misconstrue things in an all-text environment, with no tone or inflection, etc. Not being psychic doesn't make you dumb or anything, :). I don't know exactly what people mean a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything. It's just, jumping to these conclusions so quickly isn't helping you, either. The most useful thing to do is always to make sure you're clear on someone's meaning before deciding what they mean, or what they're implying, etc.

• Like 1