Some Minor Feedback After the Twitch Stream

While watching he twitch stream again, a few minor things came to my mind. I'm putting them up here without any categorization.

1. Clicking sound when choosing a dialogue option. I'd rather not have a sound for this. It's heared often enough that it gets annoying (I'm just speaking for myself of course), and it's inconsistent with the UX, for example, if I have a sound for clicking a dialogue option, why not a sound for dragging. The resizable UI elements? Not that I want the latter sound, not at all :)

2. Containers' (dead bodies, drawers, etc) interface pops up somewhere around the container, because of the whole HUD not having a solid background and being positioned in line at the bottom of the screen. Not my preferred HUD as I've said before but anyway. Something that makes the containers' interface even harder to use IMO is this interface's layout.

Let's see how it was in the IE games, and I should say I consider that very convenient to use: lootable items are listed in two columns, with no more than 4 items visible at the same time. To see items further down the list you had to scroll down. The list is always on the same place of the screen.

How it is in PoE: all items are shown immediately in a few rows, instead of columns, no scrolling involved. For me this translates as muscle memory from the interface being always on the same place is lost, that's one, and two - being unable to reach the next item of interest through scrolling means more hand movement and aiming with the mouse, which, in my opinion, is harder overall for the player, compared to mouse wheel scrolling, which almost everyone uses in the IE games, ever since mice began having mandatory wheels. The advantage that the player theoretically has with this layout, that you can take any piece of loot without looking at the others, is nullified by the fact that you can't force-show the tooltip, so you have to wait for each item, or just use the handy Take All button. This takes me to the next issue I have with the current container layout - having the Take All button always there, combined with the lack of information about the items, incentivizes the player to use the Take All button without actually looking at what he's taking, and I think that's a practice both the players and the developers would want to avoid.

3. I saw Brandon say that they have not added all the music yet, so I'll use the opportunity to plead from the bottom of my soul, and I doubt there is anyone who has played the backer beta who wouldn't support me - please, please change the default combat music for something else. I don't care if it's the Pokemon theme, as long as it's not this. The rhythm of the current combat music is the worst thing I can imagine pop up suddenly when combat starts.

4. Something I've mentioned before - please add white and gray as selectable colors for hair, clothes colors, etc.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I watched the entire stream live, eagerly curious, and I don't even remember that there was a combat music.  I could say then that it's boring and nondescript, but it certainly didn't annoy me at all. Besides the main menu music, nothing stuck in my mind music-wise.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

1. Clicking sound when choosing a dialogue option. I'd rather not have a sound for this. It's heared often enough that it gets annoying (I'm just speaking for myself of course), and it's inconsistent with the UX, for example, if I have a sound for clicking a dialogue option, why not a sound for dragging. The resizable UI elements? Not that I want the latter sound, not at all :)

One point to mention also is that if there's voice over the written dialogue then the UI sound will conflict briefly with the spoken dialogue. So, I agree it should be removed.

• Like 1