No carry weight, just slots limitation per-character. Actually, even that's not a limitation because you get an unlimited inventory called "Stash" which you can drop stuff into from anywhere, but can only access it while resting (resting requires a resource called camping supplies, 1 set of camping supplies per rest, unless at an inn). I don't like this system, to be honest.

• Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

^The stash is carried on a donkey named Bill  (Might: 2000)

I didn't like the stash idea either, especially now it's accessible anywhere out of combat and not just at rest spots (did I get that right?) - but it's not going to change as the game is too far along with that in mind and there are far more important things to fix - so I've made peace with it.

Maybe I'll do a 'no deep stash' playthrough and just not use it.  (Hmm, except we can't 'drop' things either so...lemme think on this one)

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Just to confirm other posters comments... There is no carry weight.  Each character only has so many inventory slots, plus their quick item slots.  Everything else goes in the stash which not only has no weight limit but is also infinite.  You can only access the stash when resting, no it doesn't matter where you are resting only that you are.  So yes you can rest and hit up the stash while in the bottom floor of an undead infested crypt.  That said, yeah, you only have so many camping supplies and when you are out, you are out.  You have to go back to an Inn to get more.

^The stash is carried on a donkey named Bill (Might: 2000)

I didn't like the stash idea either, especially now it's accessible anywhere out of combat and not just at rest spots (did I get that right?) - but it's not going to change as the game is too far along with that in mind and there are far more important things to fix - so I've made peace with it.

Maybe I'll do a 'no deep stash' playthrough and just not use it. (Hmm, except we can't 'drop' things either so...lemme think on this one)

The No Stash playthrough sounds like a great idea.

Just to confirm other posters comments... There is no carry weight. Each character only has so many inventory slots, plus their quick item slots. Everything else goes in the stash which not only has no weight limit but is also infinite. You can only access the stash when resting, no it doesn't matter where you are resting only that you are. So yes you can rest and hit up the stash while in the bottom floor of an undead infested crypt. That said, yeah, you only have so many camping supplies and when you are out, you are out. You have to go back to an Inn to get more.

The idea that I have limitless inventory space is repulsive, that's worse than even Dragon Age's inventory. As for accessing the stash from everywhere, that's true in the beta, although the design's intention seems to be, and the devs have mentioned that, it should only be accessible while resting. Not that it makes much more sense that way, but at least it would stop it from being a limitless inventory by both item number (which by itself is stupid) and item weight.

Inconvenient as that is at times, I liked the inventory management I had to do in BG, and also loved the specialized containers which appeared in BGII:ToB (or maybe even in just BGII, can't remember), like the scrolls boxes or the gem purses, which only took items of the specified type. The universal Bag of holding felt a bit like a cheat though, and from what I've seen of PoE its setting doesn't present magic at such an everyday level of life as to make Bags of holding look normal.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 2

eFoHp9V.png

I like the inventory system. A lot.

Playing the IE games, I realised I spent a lot of time managing inventory, storing items in containers and going back and forth towns to sell to make room.

Wasted time that is, better spent on more meaningful game activities. I'm really happy Obsidian decided to rid us of that.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

^I never had the 'back and forth to town' nor the stashing stuff in containers problem in IE games - I just made a decision of what to take and what to leave (though I'll admit that the gem-bags were handy ;) )  Larger stacks of ammo tweak was good too (though PoE is no-ammo anyway)

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

^I never had the 'back and forth to town' nor the stashing stuff in containers problem in IE games - I just made a decision of what to take and what to leave (though I'll admit that the gem-bags were handy ;) )  Larger stacks of ammo tweak was good too (though PoE is no-ammo anyway)

me too I have to admit. only a couple times in BG, but not much more.

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

I am not a fan of hoarding items and carry weight is realistic, for gods sake, so I support it.

A simulationist! Kill it with fire!

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I prefer the simulationist approach too.

First thing I'll try to mod whe it comes out, move the stash so it can only be accessed while in your stronghold.

Me too because small aspects of simulationism do nothing but complement the roleplaying experience with realism and therefore immersion, without doing anything negative at all.

Edited by Sheikh

Flayeriv, on 16 Nov 2014 - 4:57 PM, said:snapback.png

First thing I'll try to mod whe it comes out, move the stash so it can only be accessed while in your stronghold.

Me too because small aspects of simulationism do nothing but complement the roleplaying experience with realism and therefore immersion, without doing anything negative at all.

Not sure if legit or sarcasm. If legit, cheers but sometimes it can be negative. If sarcasm, usually I find it does compliment, and when done well gives players like me yet another thing to love about the genre.

SImulationism need not be extreme - I find it best when applied in general terms.

So the limiting of carried items by weight needn't go as far as having them affect you by bulk (how you fight with a packful of halberds is beyond me) (or even fit a halberd into your backpack).

So yes, some simulationy aspects are good when not taken to extremes.  We can ground a gameworld with some aspects of realism (helping immersion) without needing to cripple the gameplay experience with it.

Like the limited ammo of IE games - but we should be able to carry more arrows than 'normal' because a single arrow doesn't kill a target.

• Like 1

I have made posts against the stash system and in support of carry weight in almost every thread concerning this topic this year, but it doesn't seem to be on the list of considered changes, so I guess we will have to get used to it. Honestly, there are bigger issues in need of solving right now, I can live with the system as it is now, altough it would make me really happy if they changed it to the old IE style. I always liked inventory management, made the adventure feel more "real" (you know, little details here and there make the final impression, and this is not even a little detail :) ).

Flayeriv, on 16 Nov 2014 - 4:57 PM, said:snapback.png

Not sure if legit or sarcasm. If legit, cheers but sometimes it can be negative. If sarcasm, usually I find it does compliment, and when done well gives players like me yet another thing to love about the genre.

Well you know these pseudomedieval fantasy world are heavily based on real life at the end of the day so it does work out that way.

Stash style system is just more fake, carry weight feels more authentic. If its not broken, dont fix it. Carry weight works well in real life and replacing it in game is fixing it.

Edited by Sheikh

Carry weight has its problems, like the so-called "inventory tetris" when you try to arrange items among party npcs so that no one is encumbered. Still, I prefer those problems to a gamey solution like the stash. And I don't see logic in such kind of "problem solving" on the developers' part because, you know what also becomes a problem for example, waiting for the party to cross a cleared out area from one end to the other. That is a tedious half minute sometimes, but I don't see any developer implementing a gamey kind of teleportation to "fix the problem". I don't think the stash is in line with PoE's "philosophy" and sounds like some element taken out from Diablo, where the philosophy boils down to "make it as convenient as possible for the player to transport his asina from the hub to the dungeon, get the xp, and bring the loot back, because that's really awesome".

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 2

eFoHp9V.png

The thing is... as it stands, there's hardly any point in having individual character inventories AND a stash. You might as well just have a stash, and character quick slots, and that's it. I don't foresee people going beyond their quick slots or "hot-swappable" weapon sets in the midst of combat very often at all. So, in the context of the existing system, it seems like having a limited number of individual character inventory slots is more detrimental to the system than it is useful or helpful. If you didn't have that, you'd just have an inventory area ("stash," although it wouldn't really need that name to distinguish it from any other inventory zone, at that point), and people's equipped/quickslotted items.

I'm not against that, even though I favor the some-modicum-of-simulation approach. I realize some people aren't uber serious about it, but I don't understand why some people really do want to burn simulation at the stake. The majority of what separates an RPG from other games is simulation. As Silent Winter said, it doesn't have to be extreme and perfectly accurate. But, almost everything in the game is based loosely on how something actually functions in the real world. "Does this ability have a lot of force? Then how about it knocks you back/down? Is something harder to hit while moving? Maybe there's an accuracy/to-hit penalty when your target is moving. Is something harder to hit far away? Accuracy penalty on additional range. Is a dagger as long as a greatsword? Nope, so the greatswords gets more reach coded in." etc.

I just wish people wouldn't act like it's insane to even mention the mere thought of simulating something, *gasp*.

Anywho, personally, I liked the whole "you have a stash, but you can't access it except in certain places" idea. And, honestly, because of the existence of the stronghold, I think that would be the best place to restrict stash access to.

Also, I'm sure someone's done this already in some game I don't know about, but what if you had size AND weight be an issue, but you just measured them both like weight? Maybe one halberd costs 40 space points (queue sci-fi sound effects, heh), and you only have 70 on a given character. So, you can't carry 2 halberds, even if 2 halberds only uses up half your weight allowance. Then, you could even have different packs/add-ons with bonuses like "allows the carrying of 1 pole-arm or large weapon, free of space cost." Stuff like that. *shrug*

Not that I think PoE will switch to that. Just an idea for hypothetical land.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u