Games on portable platforms discussion thread

sorophx

do we have a thread about decent games on portable platforms? if yes, feel free to merge this one with it. I came across a very nice game for Android, and just wanted to share, but thought a separate thread for that kind of stuff wouldn't hurt.

anyway, the game's called (Joe Delver's) Lone Wolf, it's an RPG/choose-your-own-adventure hybrid, and I'm loving it so far. it has good art direction, decent combat and progression systems (for the platform), decent writing, and good production values overall. it's just what I needed to scratch that RPG itch when I'm away from my PC (which is a lot lately thanks to school, can't even continue my BG2 LP due to the lack of spare time).

give it a try if you're into this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AjrtTlMRw

also, excited to see your recommendations (preferably RPGs, but any game you consider good will do)!  :yes:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There are few games I can recommend, but it is slowly getting pretty decent.

King of Dragon Pass is the classic sim / CYOA / strategy monstrosity that has no real comparison, and is a bloody cool game. Where else do you go on cattle raids, adjudicate blood feuds in the clan, go on heroquests into mystical realms which require you to navigate ritual knowledge, and eventually band clans together?

Pixel Dungeon is a nice roguelike, free, with high usability unlike many other roguelikes out there.

I'm waiting for Banner Saga and Shadowrun Dragonfall to hit Android, the former already has an iOS version.

Emulators are of course fantastic, you can play Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Fire Emblem, etc...

A bunch of the great Final Fantasy games (read: SNES Era) and Chrono Trigger are out on both iOS and Android.  Turn-based, menu-driven jRPGs work very well on touch devices.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Pixel Dungeon is a nice roguelike, free, with high usability unlike many other roguelikes out there.

Pixel Dungeon is pretty brutal...

I know there are a lot of JRPGs for Android currently on the market. may try a couple of them later, stuff like Chaos Rings, Blazing Souls etc. 

also have King of Dragon Pass in my wishlist

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'll need to look into emulators, it seems. wonder how roms work on Android

Walsingham said:

even KOTOR is on mobile platforms? :blink: now I've seen everything

Walsingham said:

heh, I have Super Hexagon on my Humble Bundle account, didn't know what kind of game it was

Walsingham said:

Since I have no "portable platforms," pardon my sheer ignorance, but how easy/difficult is it to play a game like Kotor on a phone? I mean, what does one do for controls? Plug in a mouse? Touchpad tapping (which I have a difficult time seeing how to play certain games with)?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

and who do we have to thank for her triumphant return? :brows:

<-----

Walsingham said:

Since I have no "portable platforms," pardon my sheer ignorance, but how easy/difficult is it to play a game like Kotor on a phone? I mean, what does one do for controls? Plug in a mouse? Touchpad tapping (which I have a difficult time seeing how to play certain games with)?

WB!

No you just swipe left or right to turn the view, swipe up or down to move forward or backwards. Any buttons or prompts you just tap those. It's pretty controllable once you get used to it. It also helps if your phone has a bigger screen

I now have the somewhat amusing image in my mind of a smartphone with a 30" monitor, full-size mech keyboard and gaming mouse plugged in.

This is what happens to me when I think "Maybe it's time to get a phone/tablet/whatever. It'd be nice to websurf on the couch."

Then I start looking at phones and chrome books and keep going "but that won't do this thing I want, or that" and next thing you know I'm looking at $2000, 17", heavy laptops, which defeats the whole purpose. And I go back to my non-portable desktop.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

MSI indeed have recently launched a laptop, that in a practical sense is a non-portable device. An 18" screen and yes, that's a tenkeyless full height mechanical keyboard on it. Adds up to a 5cm thick machine weighing 4.5kg (2 inches and 10 pounds). Better bend at the knees when moving this one.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I now have the somewhat amusing image in my mind of a smartphone with a 30" monitor, full-size mech keyboard and gaming mouse plugged in.

This is what happens to me when I think "Maybe it's time to get a phone/tablet/whatever. It'd be nice to websurf on the couch."

Then I start looking at phones and chrome books and keep going "but that won't do this thing I want, or that" and next thing you know I'm looking at $2000, 17", heavy laptops, which defeats the whole purpose. And I go back to my non-portable desktop.

Actually atm i am in the same boat as u. I would actually like to recommend and maybe get some input here on the nvidia shield portable. Apparently if ur pc is at the right specs u can stream ur pc games over onto this handheld BUT u canbtake the screen off and plug it up to ur tv and play ur pc games on ur pc....all for $199.

Since my woman is taking over my pc as its the only onebin the house, ive been considering this approach since i met all the specs. It plays android games as well. Does anyone know anything about itby chance? I know its been out for awhile hut ive just recently heard about it.