2014-11-14 gameplay stream campout thread

Bear in mind.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

The choppiness really sucks, this is the worst stream I've ever seen from a quality standpoint. The game's beautiful, though, everything I ever wanted from an iso RPG and more.

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

The backer NPCs have "Backed by:" and the nick listed at the end of their description. :o Wow... that's so... not cool.

• Like 10

The backer NPCs have "Backed by:" and the nick listed at the end of their description. shocked.gif Wow... that's so... not cool.

Yeah it would be nice to have the option to turn those off. I have modded the Backer NPC icons out, so if they don't do it that's what I'll be doing for release and having a bunch of npcs with no dialogue standing around.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

The backer NPCs have "Backed by:" and the nick listed at the end of their description. shocked.gif Wow... that's so... not cool.

Yeah it would be nice to have the option to turn those off. I have modded the Backer NPC icons out, so if they don't do it that's what I'll be doing for release and having a bunch of npcs with no dialogue standing around.

Hopefully that won't be neccessary, Backer info should be a toggle that is turned off by default.

• Like 3

At the moment it's possible to mod the code, and spells, abilities, talents and items (but currently, not add new ones). However we haven't been able to figure out how to get at the scene stuff yet, or some of the other prefabs (various tables and gameobjects).

Edited by Sensuki

At the moment it's possible to mod the code, and spells, abilities, talents and items. However we haven't been able to figure out how to get at the scene stuff yet, or some of the other prefabs (various tables and gameobjects).

That already opens up quite a lot of nice possibilities, methinks. 

Prologue was a bit shorter than I thought it was going to be, but other than that I liked what I saw. Gilded Vale looks nice, the game has a unique tone. Valewood felt a little bit more like a traditional BG1 area and the adventure flow early on is pretty good too.

If the combat can be fixed up it should be pretty good.

• Like 6

Missile spell is bad. Casting it vs targets next to caster you don't even see it. There is a noticeable lack of Sleep spell. 

Characters need a getting up from prone animation and picking stuff up from ground animation, this is not 1998 anymore. 

Backer characters are just badly made. You click on them and you get a wall of text, wtf? Why couldn't you talk to them and get that info through a conversation?!

This way they are pathetic as bonus for those backers and they stand out in the gameworld for everyone else. They sure don't motivate me to back any future OE game on KS at a level to get my own NPC (I don't have one in PoE but after seeing this I would not want to). 

Gibs with a wand, really? Please keep dibs to realistic weapons like the big ones. 

The lack of ingame music and sound, I don't know if those are missing in those levels or if they were turned off. But atmosphere was crap as a result most of the time both in the wilderness and in the town. 

I hope the first town has plenty of spells, I don't expect number like in Beregost as it seems smaller but I hope lots.

• Like 1

It was very nice to watch this opening part of the game.

Art wise it's spot on! :)

Combat, especially for a noobish person like Jesse Cox, is not good. See my comments on that in my "Road Runner"-thread in the backer beta discussion forum and also in Shevek's thread on his playthrough at Hard difficulty.

You know what else is happening atm? Atm I'm wishing Josh was playing the game and not this person. >.<

Not me. It's great that a noobish person gets to react to the game and play it. Nothing displays its shortcomings better. Notice how Josh had to give instructions and adjust his actions ever so often? Let's just say that there won't be a tutorial Josh in-game, helping noobs out when the game is released.

That combat music is so nwn2 ugh.

I'm awfully tired of that very battle music tune, but I love the music style and the mood it gives this game.

Characters need a getting up from prone animation and picking stuff up from ground animation, this is not 1998 anymore. 

I agree. This was really missing.

Overall, with the music and the sound effects in, this is such a beautiful and promising game. Fix the combat, add in a few animations, slow some stuff down, improve the combat feedback, improve the UI in places, and obviously some skill and attributes issues, and we should have a winner! :yes:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Creatures need to follow some rules of physics. Nobody should achieve full speed instantly after they start moving. If they added acceleration to all creatures and player characters that would instantly slow down the game and its feel.

Book UI is so far bad, I really hope this is not how it will look in final game. I want book UI similar to D:OS, as in it looks like you are reading the book and turning pages.

Also it would be cool if during night all ranged attacks suffered an accuracy debuff and stealth got a bonus. It would be cool if day/night was more than cosmetics in PoE.

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 3

Creatures need to follow some rules of physics. Nobody should achieve full speed instantly after they start moving. If they added acceleration to all creatures and player characters that would instantly slow down the game and its feel.

Also it would be cool if during night all ranged attacks suffered an accuracy debuff and stealth got a bonus. It would be cool if day/night was more than cosmetics in PoE.

Great suggestions! Implement them now, OE! :thumbsup:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***