PoE - A game for Road Runner only? "Pausable Real Time Combat"

Then I'm going to assume you never actually played the IE games. Or would you like to tell me how great that 15 str fighter was, or how useful it was to have 14 dex? Because those stats didn't raise a single thing (apart from carry weight) at those levels, despite being well over the minimum.

15 STR gives you a +2 to hit with a melee weapon, a +2 to melee damage, and of course it lets you carry more weight. 14 Dex gives a +2 to AC, a +2 to projectile damage, and a +2 to your chance to hit with a projectile. A fighter with 15 STR can be just fine; if his DEX is high he'll be accurate with a bow, and still strong enough to weild a composite longbow or heavy crossbow. Also strong enough to wear decent armor, and even use a melee weapon competently as a secondary weapon choice. I guess it's you who never played the IE games. 

Not true. That are 3e rules and only worked in IWD2. 

Just checked BG1EE. I was 100% right about strength (Maybe the rules are different now?). DEX though... It seems 14 DEX doesn't do anything. Funny that. I guess we were all a bit wrong.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Then I'm going to assume you never actually played the IE games. Or would you like to tell me how great that 15 str fighter was, or how useful it was to have 14 dex? Because those stats didn't raise a single thing (apart from carry weight) at those levels, despite being well over the minimum.

15 STR gives you a +2 to hit with a melee weapon, a +2 to melee damage, and of course it lets you carry more weight. 14 Dex gives a +2 to AC, a +2 to projectile damage, and a +2 to your chance to hit with a projectile. A fighter with 15 STR can be just fine; if his DEX is high he'll be accurate with a bow, and still strong enough to weild a composite longbow or heavy crossbow. Also strong enough to wear decent armor, and even use a melee weapon competently as a secondary weapon choice. I guess it's you who never played the IE games. 

Not true. That are 3e rules and only worked in IWD2. 

Just checked BG1EE. I was 100% right about strength. DEX though... It seems 14 DEX doesn't do anything. Funny that. I guess we were all a bit wrong.

This http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/adnd_tools/str_table.htm says you are wrong. 15 Str gives 0 

And so does this: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Strength

Edited by archangel979

This http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/adnd_tools/str_table.htm says you are wrong. 15 Str gives 0 

And so does this: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Strength

I just double checked myself, and you're right. I made a bit of an error thanks to the two fighters I rushed into creation looking the same. Oops... ANYWAY, the weight/armor issue remains true. I also got distracted because I gave them funny names.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

No worries, Namutree! :)

Also, don't forget, once again, all the buffs that are increasing your STR, so having 15 instead of 13 or 11, meant a lot when you started to add items on that character, or spells, and so on.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

No worries, Namutree! :)

Also, don't forget, once again, all the buffs that are increasing your STR, so having 15 instead of 13 or 11, meant a lot when you started to add items on that character, or spells, and so on.

That's true, but even so; it ain't the same.

I agree that AD&D attribute system was not good enough (and a reason why it is not longer used in D&D for 15+ years now). But even with it , IE games felt like once you got your attribute high enough it made a difference in the game. Like my lvl 2 wizard with 16 con vs lvl 2 wizard with 10 con. The 10 con one died from one random projectile ALL the time. The 16 con one was able to survive one and let me move him back

Edited by archangel979

You can get one from me: I said that you "were wrong for the most part". It should have read "right for the most part" (about 2nd ed as interpreted in BG). :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I want an apology.

If you insist. Though I was still partially correct:

I don't know why I like using this clip to admit defeat.

They've held internal play weeks. It seems the developers have come to many conclusions that a lot of people on these boards already have.

The number of times that seems to happen is what is making me concerned, yes.

Hello there,

My first post ever here. I'm a BG fan, backed the project almost day one, although lower tier.

I don't want to be involved in the Beta, don't want to be spoiler, but feel it is a good way to improve. SInce I don't post or beta test, I'm almost "neutral" if you will. I'm also a developper, professionally speaking. Not of games, but still.

My input: reading these forums, not to be rude, but.... I do hope they don't take the backers feedback into account. I have no words for what I read here, it's like 75% childish feedbacks and complaints and in the middle, absolutely valid points. Lost in the other crap, sadly.

You know, project management means that basically you have to have the guts to say no 99% of the time, so that you filter out those "I know better" suggestions. But the 1% of the suggestions that goes through, at least, you know will be decent and valid.

I don't think the devs or the team don't respect "us" (the backers), but more than programming, I am pretty glad that they filter things. You should be too.

I know this ain't going to be popular but there you go. Had to say it.

Hear, hear.. 

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

^yeah, they seem to have moved the variable that determines the chance to trigger an interrupt into the class skills. What happened then was that interrupts became too frequent in both directions. And it's definitely in the cards that it's not going to be replaced with a 50% chance system. So it's probably not unreasonable to guess that it might be removed altogether in the end.

... I'm confused. So, you're saying "yeah," as in "they did remove Interrupts from the game," but somehow the interrupts, while removed from the game, are still in the game, just no longer affected by stats? But that, it's probably safe to assume they'll be removed from the game entirely, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

..I'm just saying that if they are there with the current system, the way interrupts work will be either.. as we've seen.. too frequent. Or else they would need to be toned down in some way that will be very random.

And that this is probably what's at the heart of the current problem with how engagements work. That if there's no reason to have them any longer.. which there isn't with the current setup... then it seems like a natural thing to remove a feature that needlessly complicates how the game is played.

Then what is the point of the beta?

Optimize, stablize, potentially add minor stuff, potentially remove minor stuff, bugs, balance, user feedback, AI, playability, tweaks, experimenting, fixing etc. etc.

Pre-production is gathering all the ingredients, all the spice and flavors, begin boiling the water. "Alpha" is thawing frozen vegetables, "Beta" in the frying pan, "Release" in your mouth (that.... doesn't sound right).

EDIT: That doesn't mean you can't add some more salt or pepper in the Beta, but adding too much and you'll ruin the dish. And it isn't very wise to plan your budget on an expensive rare ingredient mid-frying that may or may not improve your cooking skill (oh and going down to the store mid-cooking might burn the food or make it stale if you turn off the heat). It might be more expensive than what is required, and you can achieve a similar taste with a cheaper replacement ingredient.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

*bowing low for cooking metaphor*

I remember my aunt tended to forget things before she started cooking in a hurry. But she knew she always did that, so she had this store of frozen and instant things she could use as replacements on short notice. Always was ashamed of that, and worried that people would think she deliberately switched out at least one fresh ingredient for a staler one -- but at least the cooking would be ready and hot by dinner-time.