PoE - A game for Road Runner only? "Pausable Real Time Combat"

You can´t complain about the removal of healing spells while simultaneously claiming there was no dedicated healing class. You´re contradicting yourself.

I can as Priest's primary purpose was not to heal first and do other things last. Healing was his secondary ability. He was a warrior and a buff/debuff before all as well as status remover.
  • Like 1

You can´t complain about the removal of healing spells while simultaneously claiming there was no dedicated healing class. You´re contradicting yourself.

I can as Priest's primary purpose was not to heal first and do other things last. Healing was his secondary ability. He was a warrior and a buff/debuff before all as well as status remover.

Removing status effects and buffing against them is a form of healing. And I think you're understating the importance of Heal and Raise Dead.

The priest could only take 2 levels of proficiency in a weapon and had a very limited weapon selection (for instance, the only ranged weapon he could take was the sling). He wasn't a particularly great physical warrior (aside from the ability to wear heavy armor).

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

Removing status effects and buffing against them is a form of healing, you know. And I think you're understating the importance of Heal and Raise Dead.

Not even close. 

Debuff and Buff is a totally different thing compared to healing. Compare Chanter to priest in this game for example. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Removing status effects and buffing against them is a form of healing, you know. And I think you're understating the importance of Heal and Raise Dead.

Not even close. 

Debuff and Buff is a totally different thing compared to healing. Compare Chanter to priest in this game for example. 

Removing harmful status effects and/or immunizing against them through buffs I consider to fall in the realm of the 'healer' role, especially if that same class can heal HP and raise fallen allies as in the IE games. I hardly see what's so controversial about that.

• Like 1

Oh. Nothing's controversial. That's like saying Mages are healers. I would say that you just have a very unique opinion, that is all. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

...and they only refill when you rest in town or other similar "recovery" type locations.

...and punishes players who don't conserve on heals or play smart at the higher difficulties.

Does DA:I restrict travel to such locations?

In the sense that you have to fight through everything between one to get to the other, yeah.  I suspect they are more limited than you might be thinking.  Once you start a major mission there is no way to just stop, go back to base, and rest.

You would like it gifted, doesn't even have crit path scaling so you can level on up by doing everything, go back to an earlier area, and own the heck out of it to your hearts content.

As for "IE games had no dedicated healer"....  Are you guys joking?  If I wanted buffs I could take any number of characters.  Bards, Mages, Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, Druids.... any I might have missed?  Yet I never made a party that had a Bard.... but no Cleric.  Why?  Bards can probably buff better than Clerics.  But they can't raise dead.  They cant cast cure serious wounds.  You can make all the arguments about "Clerics had buffs too" but tons of classes had buffs, only two could be viable healers.  Cleric and Druid.  Strangely I never made a party that didn't at least include one, the other, or both.  I have plenty of parties without Bards.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

In the sense that you have to fight through everything between one to get to the other, yeah.  I suspect they are more limited than you might be thinking.  Once you start a major mission there is no way to just stop, go back to base, and rest.

blink.png Whaaaa? I thought it was "open world". You are saying you cant freely go where you want? Honest question, I haven't followed DA:I at all.

You would like it gifted, doesn't even have crit path scaling so you can level on up by doing everything, go back to an earlier area, and own the heck out of it to your hearts content.

Ill probably pick it up months down the road on a sale or whatever but you have me a bit torn with your above comment. On one hand not being able to "go back" sounds moronic, on the other hand I do likes the idea of roflstomping mooks.

Ill probably pick it up months down the road on a sale or whatever but you have me a bit torn with your above comment. On one hand not being able to "go back" sounds moronic, on the other hand I do likes the idea of roflstomping mooks.

It depends on what you are doing.  There is plenty of points in the game where you can just be out and about messing around exploring a zone or doing side quests.  There are times when you are on dedicated missions though where you have to do set goals to advance and you can't just bail out mid mission.

EDIT:  Open world Clarification....  It is, and it isn't, open world.  There are dedicated zones in the game, the world is not continuous in that you can run through the border of zone A and then be in zone B like a MMO or something.  That said... the Zones are huge.  One reviewer said he tried to do everything that could be done in the first real zone of the game and it took him something like 15 hours and that by the end of the game he was around 80 hours of playthrough and had two zones he had barely even visited and only went to for crit path story stuff.

Edited by Karkarov

Thanks for the info. I wonder what happens if you get yourself into a position where you cannot advance a "mission". Like you blew through all your potions and everyone is too beat up to be effective. Do you just "fail" the mission? Can it be restarted? Is it forever closed now?

As for "IE games had no dedicated healer"....  Are you guys joking?  If I wanted buffs I could take any number of characters.  Bards, Mages, Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, Druids.... any I might have missed?  Yet I never made a party that had a Bard.... but no Cleric.  Why?  Bards can probably buff better than Clerics.  But they can't raise dead.  They cant cast cure serious wounds.  You can make all the arguments about "Clerics had buffs too" but tons of classes had buffs, only two could be viable healers.  Cleric and Druid.  Strangely I never made a party that didn't at least include one, the other, or both.  I have plenty of parties without Bards.

You misunderstood. The argument was if clerics were healers first buffers second. 

Thanks for the info. I wonder what happens if you get yourself into a position where you cannot advance a "mission". Like you blew through all your potions and everyone is too beat up to be effective. Do you just "fail" the mission? Can it be restarted? Is it forever closed now?

From what I've seen on twitch streams, when you get far enough from enemies, your living character(s) exit "combat mode" and simultaneously, whoever was left unconscious at the field of thenlast battle you ran away from just materializes next to you, but woth very little health left (inadvisable to go back and fight). I don't think the game ever locks you inside an area where it's impossible to escape back to base. As soon as you are out of combat, fast travel becomes available, and you can return to your fortress or to someplace else where you can buy potions. That's how I think the game works all the time, at least I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

...and they only refill when you rest in town or other similar "recovery" type locations.

...and punishes players who don't conserve on heals or play smart at the higher difficulties.

Does DA:I restrict travel to such locations?

Bards don't buff better, not even close. But they get access to all offensive spells of wizard of levels 1 to 6. And they have very little number of spells between rests. They are more of a secondary support character. 

"Can I run, or?"

Josh: "No." (Due to disengagement attacks)

Jesse: "So, just shield up and pray?"

:lol:

LoooL

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

From what I've seen on twitch streams, when you get far enough from enemies, your living character(s) exit "combat mode" and simultaneously, whoever was left unconscious at the field of thenlast battle you ran away from just materializes next to you, but woth very little health left (inadvisable to go back and fight). I don't think the game ever locks you inside an area where it's impossible to escape back to base. As soon as you are out of combat, fast travel becomes available, and you can return to your fortress or to someplace else where you can buy potions. That's how I think the game works all the time, at least I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.

You also have the added benefit of multiple saves :p.  It is worth stating enemies don't necessarily stay dead either.  You can also always just drop the difficulty, though there are two achievements...  One for beating it on hard, without ever lowering difficulty.  Another for beating it on Nightmare (the hardest difficulty), again with the caveat that you never lower it.

Gfted1:

Lol, I do not believe combat is laden with problems.

Well, are you absolutely sure? Two people on the internet seem to be agreeing on having that impression, so perhaps it must be objectively true!

One of them is lying... ;)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Gfted1:

Well, are you absolutely sure? Two people on the internet seem to be agreeing on having that impression, so perhaps it must be objectively true!

The most important thing to remember is that if it doesn't go your way you should whine for weeks on end, even if you don't own the product or plan to use it. :yes:

• Like 4

Gfted1:

The most important thing to remember is that if it doesn't go your way you should whine for weeks on end, even if you don't own the product or plan to use it. :yes:

Mm. Demonstrating to the producer at Obsidian that it might not be a grand idea for the company to throw away their designs to please internet majorities - in spite of superfans usually threatening with hordes of fans abandoning ship if they don't have their personal suggestions taken directly into the game, etc. That was such a failure, wasn't it, Gift3d.

Or maybe you're referring to when I said you have a tendency to make some curious assumptions for your moderating? And that if Obsidian don't want to annoy any half-reasonable person off the board - including from the beta-test area, which we sort of might care a little bit about during the beta-test - with your public popularity contest moderating sprees, then they might want to let you do something else for them? Such as.. sharpening their pens at the office, maybe? I clearly didn't get my way there either.

But I wouldn't know what you're referring to, Gift3d1, since I don't have your amazing and remarkable skills at reading people's minds (and summing up everything in one sentence).

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

:lol:

Im referring to the big dookie you made in your pants over something changing and then slamming the door on your way out. Oh wait, that didn't happen. Now you just linger around sniping at anything and anyone that doesn't share your vision even though you got a refund and wont be playing. :shrugz: Since you feel left out, if it makes you feel better, I do pity you.