We no longer have the Portuguese language?

Obsidian announced that they are officially anti-portuguese now thats what happened. So you will never get portugese.

On a serious note, perhaps let obsidian directly know that you are disappointed in their lack of a portuguese version of this game, perhaps shoot them an email. I feel these forums are for discussing, but there is nothing to discuss in this topic.

Edited by Sheikh
  • Like 2

People who are not spanish or portuguese speakers tend to assume that the two are the same language with slightly different accents. This is, in fact, totally wrong but people persist in making this mistake. The two languages are no more similar than Itallian and Spanish.

They also tend to assume Spanish is more widespread than Portuguese, which while technically true leaves out the fact that Portuguese is incredibly widespread. (Spanish is the #2 most natively spoken language in the world, and Portuguese is the #6. English is 3 followed by Hindi and Arabic. Mandarin is #1. German is 11, French 18. So Portuguese is objectively more common than german and french)

Edited by David Frohman
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Translating a game to PT-BR (Brazilian Portuguese) is a decision that involves investment. But has financial return, for sure. If this were not true Blizzard and EA Games not spend time and money (very much both) to make regionalization and translation of the games with the highest expression among their recent creations. Not translate to PT-BR is to lose another opportunity to grow following the path of other big companies of great games (WoW and SimCity, just examples). 

Translate is an option. All showed that Obsidian do not want for this game. A bad choice.

It may just be that they don't have a volunteer Portuguese translator yet. The initial release was planned to have English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish translations. I suspect that other languages will follow once they have made arrangements.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Maybe it's just because of what I'm used to, but don't you like things better in their original language (assuming you know it), I'm not having a go it's just that whenever I read something like a book or even see a cartoon dubbed into my language I can't help but notice how better the originals and no matter how good the translation there is a lot of lost meaning (mainly wordplay but other stuff too).

Btw I totally think they should dub it if they can and people want it I'm just curious since I know that most fantasy stuff would sound really silly/stupid in my language

I learned english through videogames as a kid, if you wanted to get further in the game, you had to figure it out.

• Like 3

People who are not spanish or portuguese speakers tend to assume that the two are the same language with slightly different accents. This is, in fact, totally wrong but people persist in making this mistake. The two languages are no more similar than Itallian and Spanish.

They also tend to assume Spanish is more widespread than Portuguese, which while technically true leaves out the fact that Portuguese is incredibly widespread. (Spanish is the #2 most natively spoken language in the world, and Portuguese is the #6. English is 3 followed by Hindi and Arabic. Mandarin is #1. German is 11, French 18. So Portuguese is objectively more common than german and french)

Maybe some people believe that, but I think most people with an ounce of common sense know that there is a discernible difference between Spanish and Portuguese. I can assure you that, despite not being pals with anyone at Obsidian, the decision to not include a language will not be based on baseless assumptions, but rather business considerations. 

As for the second point, it's not a question of creating translations based on how many speakers a language has. Largely, it's based on asking how many people are likely to purchase the game, and what language they tend to speak. 

The fact that Portuguese has more speakers than Germany becomes irrelevant when we realize that not only are Germans/Austrians rich people with high disposable income (thus being more likely to spend money on gaming), they are also famously avid CRPG gamers, which makes German probably first on the list after English when creating CRPGs - not least because there are 95 odd million German speakers in Europe. Portugal has 10 million people, while Brazil has over 200 million, but not all things are equal. Germans/Austrians have far more disposable income than either, and have a history of buying CRPGs perhaps only second to English speakers. 

I'm not naive enough to suggest that Portuguese or Brazilians don't play CRPG's, but again these would be based on internal business decisions. I'm sure that Obsidian have in depth data about sales of previous games that they use as a guide too. Which is not to say that Obsidian is right in deciding to not include a language; just that there is a reason behind their decision that goes beyond generalizations. 

The fact that there currently isn't plans for official translations in Portuguese suggests that they either feel it's not enough to justify the outlay, and/or that there isn't enough demand from fans clamoring for it. Most certainly however it is not based on any idea that "well it's kinda like Spanish right? So let's just use that..."

Edited by PillarsofEternity
  • Like 3

On OP:

Isn't it Paradox who handles distribution issues localization included? You may want to address them directly with your question via email. It's unlikely someone on this board knows something for sure.

My assumption echoes thoughts of other people here - devs might have no translator or decide that Portugese not so different from Spanish.

Anyway if you can afford playing on original language you better do that. Obsidian never writes texts that are easy to translate. I've been watching BB playthroughs with Russian language and they totally confirmed my fears in this regard.

• Like 2

I find it hard to believe that people who do not speak languages assume to know something about them.  But then I guess nothing makes people more confident about a subject than ignorance.

• Like 1

Perhaps developers and publishers seeking more information with other experiences. Can not spend as much as Blizzard or EA. Ok.

I have other examples and I believe you have more contributions with names of companies of all sizes and games with PT-BR (or PT-PT) translations.

I found these with quick overview of my games today. The list should be much higher.

list with some developers and recent games (or pre-release) with PT-BR

CD Projekt Red - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)

Ndemic Creations - Plague Inc: Evolved (2014)

Irrational Games - Bioshock Infinite (2013)

Beamdog - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (2013)

NeocoreGames - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing I and II (2013, 2014, both with PT-PT, but it's better than nothing!)

Stainless Games / Wizards of the Coast LLC - Magic in 2014 and 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers (2013, 2014)

See that Baldur's Gate EE is listed.  Plague Inc: Evolved is other very good example. They used a system of consultation in internet site to choose the best translations for each phrase. See what has been done on the link:

You must be very low cost to do so.

Another important thing I want the text of the games. I like playing with subtitles. You do not need dubbing. Subtitles are cheaper option than dubbing. Obviously.

Edited by borreh1973

@borreh1973:

Slow down a little, mate :) I bet devs are aware of that stuff you're talking about all too well. They have confirmed list of languages PoE will be translated into since their kickstarter campaign. Portugese was in that list all this time, but get lost for some reason on Steam PoE Pre-order page. I don't know if Portugese will still make it into the game itself, though.

Anyway, PoE's translation gonna cost, game is text-heavy by default. Does anyone know who actually translated Backer Beta? I'd love to talk to fellows! Just to... express my gratitude, you know.

I dont see why they couldnt use that. If they havent planned to use it for the initial release, perhaps they could look into getting their game translated into portuguese and other interesting languages through that website in a patch soon after release. I dont see why not. Id gladly gather people to translate it into my own language (Estonian), but since there are only a few million speakers worldwide the vast majority of whom speak good english, it may not be worthwhile unless just for fun, but since its alot of work, probably not.

• 2 months later...

Portoguese can be more common but...how many of them have even a pc? that's the question

We are not going to have Portuguese at the game's release.

It is fairly expensive to translate our game into a language. Last I looked we had over 700k words in the game that would require translation. That is quite a bit. Keep in mind that you also have to add in programming, UI, QA, and narrative costs for additional languages.

Typically, when choosing which languages to translate into companies will look into potential sales. If the number of sales (in their estimates) isn't enough to recoup their initial investment, then they likely won't translate into the languages.

That isn't to say that we won't translate into more languages in the future, but I can't promise any specific language at this point.

• Like 6

I definitely like how obsidian guys are frank.

+1.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's fine. As long as I get some recreational time in my schedule, I can work on my pundamentals. 6_u

Seriously, though, this pundemic has to stop. It's hopping threads now. This is all my fault, 8P

On-topic, it's unfortunate, but they can't rightly go all-out for Portuguese if an estimated 70 people (For example -- not saying there are 70 people exactly) are going to play it in that language.

People tend to act like the difference between translating it into a given language or not is the difference between dropping a candy wrapper on the ground or putting it into a trash can that's 10 feet away. As if it's just some big lazy or arbitrary choice not to do it. Which isn't the case.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 1 month later...

Portoguese can be more common but...how many of them have even a pc? that's the question

Well... in the jungle have one for each human :)

• 1 year later...

Translation Project for Portuguese (made by fans):

http://forum.tribogamer.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23323

Could at least make a partnership with the fans to add the translation to the game. The CD Projekt RED did it with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

Remember that Brazil is a market with 17 million buyers on Steam. Remember that Brazil is a market with 17 million buyers on Steam. And a country where 250 million people live. And Portuguese is spoken by 1 billion people worldwide.