My Two Cents

Alupinu

Hey everybody!

Just finished my run through of PofE Beta and found a few things that that I’d like to see changed. Just getting my 2 cents in.

But first let me say what I liked about the Game in all fairness. I found the area’s to be stunning, full of color and finely detailed. The story line of the quest actually held my interest, nicely written. The animations though still need work are going in the right direction. Loving the wide variety of content items, treasure, monsters – oh my! And that PnP feel you have seemed to capture – genius!

Now on to a few things that in my opinion I’d like to see changed or worked on.

• Floating text of object descriptions, need to be scripted to fade after 15 to 20 seconds. All the floating text can give the area a messy look and feel.
  • Objects in front of the characters need to become more transparent. Combat can be very frustrating when you can’t see what’s going on.
  • Need more icons for items. I’m sure that’s being worked on.
  • Not all death animations are firing. I’m sure that’s being worked on but it would be nice to see a wider of variety of death animations.
  • The character circles could be a little more pronounced. Spells and combat often cover them up making identifying a party member a little tough at times.
  • Path finding needs work, the Keystone Cops antics are all cute and funny but does take away from the game. Also forces player to have to micro manage unnecessarily.
  • Liked be able to put only *selected* characters into sneak mode and not the whole party automatically. Having the option of individual party members go into sneak mode opens a wider array for strategy.
  • Like to see more roll results for things like disarming traps, picking locks, ect. Gives the player a better idea of where the character stands skill wise.
  • Able to rob npc’s houses with no consequences. Something that suggest why the world does not break out in full blown anarchy. Maybe fine the player some copper or small loss of xp if they get caught.
  • Something animated on the load screens so I can tell that the game is loading and not frozen. Maybe a loading bar or turning circle.
  • Like to see a more balanced skill point system when creating or leveling a character. Noticed that everything seems to have points for athletics or lore. Example: I’d like to see my rogue have a very high mechanics but I can’t because their only appears to be like three things that boost my mechanics score and once those have been used that’s it that’s my mechanics score. Now maybe I just don’t understand the system yet but right as it is it seems very limited.

Well there’s my 2 cents on the game love it or hate it. Now I’m sure there is a long list of other things that can be improved on but these where the most noticeable to me.

In conclusion I’d like to say that in my opinion Obsidian is on the verge of releasing another great game and I eagerly look forward to playing the game in its entirely.  

To the staff of PofE you guys have done a great job, I’m very happy with the game, money well spent and keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Murder in Dunlop, Fanglewood, �My Class is Rogue ... "You look surprised to see me. If you'd been paying attention, you might still be alive." bandit.png

CTD = Crash to Desktop

Personally, I've not got that far on this patch, I've generally just tested builds on Medreth and the Beetles and then gone back to play Wasteland 2.

Well it’s been my experience that you can only enter the dungeon so many times. It’s like the engine is not completely destroying the last instance or something and so the two separate but same instances are clashing or filling up the temp-memory causing game crash. …maybe.  

I was able to complete the dungeon only because I did the entire dungeon without leaving.

I did do some testing to try and recreate the game crash that I had earlier when I thought it might have been caused by a 6th character. Here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69269-additional-sixth-character-causing-game-crash/  .

I did recreate the bug after doing so many transitions between areas. I also noticed that I can recreate this bug with any of transition points if I use them enough, not just the dungeon.

Edited by Alupinu

Murder in Dunlop, Fanglewood, �My Class is Rogue ... "You look surprised to see me. If you'd been paying attention, you might still be alive." bandit.png

The circles have actually been made thinner with each version. Even when they were really thick (v257) spell FX still obscures both characers and selection circles in combat, it's really annoying.

Maybe they should have the option for the circles to only appear in combat like in Baldur's Gate?

Edited by Alupinu

I want them to be on all the time. I have suggested they implement a selection circle feedback slider so you can control when you see the circles a few times, although I imagine if it has been added to the feature list it's pretty far down.

Going to keep bringing it up though.

Same with changing NPC selection circle color, Bester was able to change it from green to blue with colorblind mode disabled pretty easily.

• Like 1

Well it’s been my experience that you can only enter the dungeon so many times. It’s like the engine is not completely destroying the last instance or something and so the two separate but same instances are clashing or filling up the temp-memory causing game crash. …maybe.

I was able to complete the dungeon only because I did the entire dungeon without leaving.

I did do some testing to try and recreate the game crash that I had earlier when I thought it might have been caused by a 6th character. Here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69269-additional-sixth-character-causing-game-crash/ .

I did recreate the bug after doing so many transitions between areas. I also noticed that I can recreate this bug with any of transition points if I use them enough, not just the dungeon.

That's just my suspicion. I suppose the more frequently you move through areas, the sooner the crashes will start. I also had the plan to go through the dungeon in one go, exctly for these reasons, but I couldn't make it. Maybe I should have moved all my loot to the stash and rested inside the dungeon. Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I want them to be on all the time. I have suggested they implement a selection circle feedback slider so you can control when you see the circles a few times, although I imagine if it has been added to the feature list it's pretty far down.

Going to keep bringing it up though.

Same with changing NPC selection circle color, Bester was able to change it from green to blue with colorblind mode disabled pretty easily.

Yeah, the slider is a good idea! I like that. When in doubt let the player decide.

I did do some testing to try and recreate the game crash that I had earlier when I thought it might have been caused by a 6th character. Here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69269-additional-sixth-character-causing-game-crash/ .

I did recreate the bug after doing so many transitions between areas. I also noticed that I can recreate this bug with any of transition points if I use them enough, not just the dungeon.

That's just my suspicion. I suppose the more frequently you move through areas, the sooner the crashes will start. I also had the plan to go through the dungeon in one go, exctly for these reasons, but I couldn't make it. Maybe I should have moved all my loot to the stash and rested inside the dungeon.

It's actually not that hard if you bring enough campsites. lol

The circles have actually been made thinner with each version. Even when they were really thick (v257) spell FX still obscures both characers and selection circles in combat, it's really annoying.

Eh it isn't SUPER annoying but yeah it is a drawback.  They need to make the colors more pronounced and toss the "look like IE" nonsense.  Make the current "you are clicked" color the normal color, and make the "you are clicked" color into like some bright high contrast blue or something.

• Like 1