Please consider helping lines be optional

Guest 4ward

Hello Obsidian-Team !

Please consider making helping lines optional. From the IE games i'm used to play without them. I would like to be able to turn them on/off and/or assign a key for toggle. For me personally they take away from the 'uncertainty/gambling' factor and feel too gamey. So, something like

- Turn on/off Aoe marks/circles for Aoe spells

- Turn on/off targetting lines for conedshaped/linear spells

- Turn on/off engagement red lines

If that is already in or planned, please disregard this.

Thank you.

Hello Obsidian-Team !

Please consider making helping lines optional. From the IE games i'm used to play without them. I would like to be able to turn them on/off and/or assign a key for toggle. For me personally they take away from the 'uncertainty/gambling' factor and feel too gamey. So, something like

- Turn on/off Aoe marks/circles for Aoe spells

- Turn on/off targetting lines for conedshaped/linear spells

- Turn on/off engagement red lines

If that is already in or planned, please disregard this.

Thank you.

I was actually hoping they would only remain there in the beta, but Iwould like to keep the engagement lines.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Probably the best default option is to have a very minimal interface atop the game world action on screen, until you toggle all the tactical info via a button or something (and/or during pause). That way, when you need to know something, it's only a touch away, but when you don't, it doesn't clutter up your view of the action.

But, of course, if someone wants to never see that stuff, or always see that stuff, or anything in-between, by all means, I say provide the option. :)

If you already have code in the game to allow for a state in which something isn't shown, and a state in which something IS shown, then there's almost no point in not-making it a toggle-able option.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There is an option in the "Game" tab called "AoE Highlighting" or something like that. You can turn that off to disable AoE and cone targetting.  There is another option referring to "Selection Circles" - I'm not sure if that is currently hooked up to the engagement lines, but it probably will be.

If you want to play with no in-game HUD elements, you can use Ctrl-H to hide the whole thing.  We didn't intend for you to play the game this way, but if you hotkey all the abilities you need, you could do it.

• Like 4

There is an option in the "Game" tab called "AoE Highlighting" or something like that. You can turn that off to disable AoE and cone targetting.  There is another option referring to "Selection Circles" - I'm not sure if that is currently hooked up to the engagement lines, but it probably will be.

If you want to play with no in-game HUD elements, you can use Ctrl-H to hide the whole thing.  We didn't intend for you to play the game this way, but if you hotkey all the abilities you need, you could do it.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed I could turn the circles off actually :) There's also a little bug associated with hiding the HUD, suddenly after you hide the HUD you can't marquee-select and you can't click on doors/containers, and when you hover the mouse over anything (doors, containers, characters), there is no hover effect. I've reported it in the bugs subforum.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

• 1 month later...

Any chance for a toggle/key functionality? I would like for Selection Circles and AoE Highlighting to only show up when I hold Alt down.

t50aJUd.jpg

Why would you want ALT to highlight AoE? First of all, you actually have to have an ability selected to qualify for the AoE showing.

More important than circle toggling, there should be a selection circle slider option, where you can choose the amount of circle feedback you get. I personally used BG1 style in all of the IE games - circles on for everyone all the time.

Why would you want ALT to highlight AoE? First of all, you actually have to have an ability selected to qualify for the AoE showing.

More important than circle toggling, there should be a selection circle slider option, where you can choose the amount of circle feedback you get. I personally used BG1 style in all of the IE games - circles on for everyone all the time.

Because you want to be able to tap it when necessary, but not be forced to see the AoE Highlighting and the Selection Circles all of the time.

Right now (if I understood it right) you'd have to go into Options to change it every time. Obviously no-one is actually going to be jumping in and out of Options all the time for something like this, but it'd be very nice to have the option of turning off AoE Highlighting and Selection Circles and then another option to have show when holding ALT.

That way, you'd only see it when you want to.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg