OSX Yosemite (10.10) Problems

BAdler

Hey, everyone. We are aware of the crashing problems on Yosemite right now. After talking to some other projects that are using Unity for their engine the problems may not be unique to our game. We are going to continue to look into it and hopefully it will be something we can resolve on our side and not something that will have to wait for a Unity fix.

Thanks for your patience.

• Like 2

It would be nice to hear a little more update on this issue. Is Unity working on it yet? Is the update next week going to include any temporary fix? Is the crashing issue you're talking about just the crash on launching through Steam, or is it the *rest* of the crashing too?

Besides not being able to launch the game through Steam (a minor inconvenience), the crashing is so bad that I've had the beta for over a week and haven't yet been able to make it inside the Dracogen. I made it to the door today, but no farther. I crash on loading saved games, I crash on continuing from save, I crash on going through doors, and I crash on examining objects. It's effectively impossible to beta test the game if you can't make it thirty seconds without a crash.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had no problems launching build 333 from the application (not Steam), but after some use and a few saves, it crashes on reload (continue or reload a saved game).  This is, of course, a known issue.  The work around that seems to work (albeit it cuts into play time) is to simply not save.

I was unaware until recently that the beta was even out for the Mac OS.  Communication has been somewhat lax it seems.  Perhaps I missed a Kickstarter comment saying to look solely on these boards for update information.

I can but hope that the Mac OS builds are updated as frequently (if not more) as the PC builds.  I am looking forward to this game more than any other in the gaming pipeline at the moment.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this thus far!  I look forward to playing it, very much.

I'm pretty sure Obsidian sends official Update emails to all the backers. AND Kickstarter sends out notifications of updates.

I don't mean that in a "so clearly you should've just known, u_u" manner. I only say it because, perhaps your emails are getting blocked, or they got the wrong email address or something, if you aren't getting any sort of notifications. I know they've only had about one official update per month, but I'm pretty sure the last couple specifically announced the availability of the Mac version. I could be wrong on that... it's just what my memory's telling me.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah when an update goes out I always get an email from Kickstarter and a Backer Website email. I am also subscribed to the Announcements thread so any time someone makes a thread in there, I get an email about that too, and I also read various forums that repost this information.

The devs could be a lot better with patch notes, a bit better with forum back and forth but KS/email notifications is pretty straight forward.

Obsidian, just a humble suggestion:

Do a few mini-patches for the pc, where rudimentary versions of various Disengagement solutions have been applied to the PoE BB

- then use the community to see which seem to work best as far as gameplay and combat pacing go.

If you do take this step, please act on this opportunity with haste, since X-Mas is coming up fast. Use your community - we love to serve. :sorcerer:

EDIT: Oops! Wrong thread.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah when an update goes out I always get an email from Kickstarter and a Backer Website email. I am also subscribed to the Announcements thread so any time someone makes a thread in there, I get an email about that too, and I also read various forums that repost this information.

The devs could be a lot better with patch notes, a bit better with forum back and forth but KS/email notifications is pretty straight forward.

I get lots of emails from kickstarter, as I support many of them.  I have gotten them from Obsidian in the past, but no more.  I will subscribe to the board, so perhaps I will get notified that way.  Thanks!

Hey, everyone. We are aware of the crashing problems on Yosemite right now. After talking to some other projects that are using Unity for their engine the problems may not be unique to our game. We are going to continue to look into it and hopefully it will be something we can resolve on our side and not something that will have to wait for a Unity fix.

Thanks for your patience.

This is a very general description of what might be a plethora of issues.  Is this a crash that occurs when the game launches, which I've seen described as an issue for Mac users, or is this a crash that happens when you try to load a saved game, which occurs form me, or a crash when one tries to save a game, which also occurs.

Also, is there a thread specifically for Mac bug reports, or are they all amalgamated into the PC build bug report?  When I search for mac related articles, I get zero returns, which seems rather odd.

If the game runs on OS 10.9, I will try it in that environment,  if Steam will let me download it to another machine.

I get lots of emails from kickstarter, as I support many of them.  I have gotten them from Obsidian in the past, but no more.  I will subscribe to the board, so perhaps I will get notified that way.  Thanks!

Yeah, I know how that is. I get oodles of Kickstarter update emails I have to sift through. But, it definitely sounds like something weird happened with your email address in their/Kickstarter's system. I've never stopped getting PoE emails (as Sensuki said, one from Kickstarter about each update, AND one straight from Obsidian about the same update.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Basically I just copied the .app file from the Steam library folder to the other machine's application folder and ran it from there.  Seems to work pretty well, but it too has save game crashing issues it seems.  So the issue I am experiencing is not limited to Yosemite.

I've run the app in Yosemite 10.10.1 as well as 10.9 and on an old Mac Book Pro with 10.7 on it and it runs just fine (dragged the application from the steam application support folder in the user library to the applications folder and ran it from there with zero issues.  [i hate Steam anyway, so that's just fine]  I've experienced no crashing from what I would call "graphics issues."  The sole crash I've experienced thus far are from reloading saved games.  Very frustrating, all in all.  The game does run very slowly one 10.7, but that does not surprise me.  it is still playable after a fashion, but it is a pretty slow experience.

I therefore, do not believe the issue to be with Unity at all.

Edited by RoughOne