Attribute Questionnaire II

Sensuki

I am interested in knowing which attributes you pick for which classes, and why you pick them. I am interested in hearing the opinions of any backer and Obsidian staff/QA. I'm more interested in knowing what you have actually played with, rather than what you would play with.

The best way to format this would probably be to go by Attribute, let me give an example

[i honestly haven't played Rangers much because they've been pretty bugged up until the latest patch, so I have not included them in my form]

Might

In v278 and v333 Might was the best Attribute for anyone who wanted to deal damage, however in v333 since enemy defenses are higher, Perception is more important, so Might is my second pick for Rogues, Ciphers, Wizards, Druids and DPS Barbarians. It's not uncommon for me to throw spare points into it on Fighters, Monks, Paladins or Chanters either, but not as many lately due to Perception being better.

Constitution

I pick Constitution on Monks and Fighters (always maxed), sometimes Barbarians and maybe if I'm making a tanking Paladin or Chanter. I leave it at 10 for everyone else, possibly even dropping it to 8 for some of the backline classes.

Dexterity

I only pick Dexterity on Priests normally because they spent a lot of their time casting non-damaging spells, and since DPS is not important, extra points can be spent on Dex to pump out spells faster. I also find it to be safely dumpable below 10 on non-casters (ie. Fighters) as long as those extra points are spent on either Might or Perception to compensate for the lost DPS, if you pump Might or Perception as a result you actually end up with MORE DPS.

I'm not finding it useful on other casters because battles never go for long enough to really take advantage of the speed benefit, I find since Might gives more DPS vs DT and Resolve gives more Durations per point, it's just flat out better to ignore Dex and pump those instead.

Perception

I pick Perception on every character, usually always maxed as far as it can go because it's the most important Attribute in BB v333.

Intellect

I pick Intellect on Paladins and Chanters only, because they both need Deflection (if Melee) and they both have passive AoE auras. I find the 3% AoE size increase not very helpful on any other class (not even Wizards), although I've heard it's going to be raised to like 6% in the next patch. It's not inherently bad on a Fighter because they have high natural Deflection, but don't really benefit from the AoE increase, so I find myself not bothering unless I'm making a 100% defensive Fighter.

Resolve

I pick Resolve on Priests (maxed) and Ciphers and Druids (usually high, if not Maxed). Usually left at 10 for everyone else, or dropped below 10. Tried a 4 Resolve Fighter recently, and it worked well - gave me extra points to spend on other more important attributes.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

For 301 and 333:

Max Perception, almost max Might, and then I pick a third attribute based on what attacks/abilities I use the most.

Ideally, I'd like to have a hard time choosing how to balance the attributes.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'll write 1 class per post over time.

Fighter

Might:

I stay away with from this stat as a fighter, mainly because there is already a BB fighter in the group with 22 might.

When i make a fighter atm it's purely a defensive one. Also i feel like i would be gimping my self if i tried to go for a damage dealer as a fighter. Rogues do a better job. Also i do use a shield on my fighter so i'm really not expecting anything from damage.

Constitution:

I go around mid range with it 15-16.

While more health is always better as a defensive fighter, i think it's better to save some of the points for intellect for deflection bonus.

Dexterity:

Leave it at 10

Perception:

This is a usefull stat for knockdowns that help mittigate additional damage when hp get's low that's why i use it as a third stat and dump everything right after intellect. (i can't remember how much of it is usually left atm.)

Intellect:

I usually go around 16-18 with intellect, for the bonus deflection

Resolve:

Leave at 10-12, so that i will be able to execute a knockdown at least somewhere in the time vicinity of it's use.

I'm not really a power game (on single player games), so i don't do min maxing, if a stat is useless, i usually leave it at default.

Even in IE games i never go lower than 10 on any stat, if i wanted to max useful stats, i just kept rolling until i got a high enough number.

Edited by Cubiq

I guess that's what i get for never going lower. I just counted the bonuses from 10 up and never really checked what the full tables actually were.

Edit: I checked the tables now, and i probably will still leave it at 10 the next time i play, mainly since i feel like it's the somwhere in the center of the default stats. 7-8 seems to be the minimum you can get away with before it goes the other way.

This is just a preference for roleplying

If i was minmaxing i would go lower anyway.

Edited by Cubiq

I refuse to munchkin so I won't drop anything below 10, call me stupid.  That said this is how I would do it.

-----

At least some Might, preferably up to around 15 or so if not higher.  For tanks I would throw "something" at it but if it turned out like 12/13 it's okay.

Con would get at least 15 or so on any Tank, melee classes would throw extra stats at it, ranged wouldn't mind it staying at 10 but would possibly pump slightly "just in case".

Dex untouched, leave it at 10 regardless of character.

Perception same as Might, at least 15 if not max.  Only exception being healer intended characters which I handle like tanks with Might.

Intelligence leave it at 10 except for characters who do a lot of auras and tanks.  I try to throw some stats at it for them.

Resolve mostly leave it at 10.  Tanks maybe get a little for interrupt issues some dps might get a little depending on class abilities.

• Like 1

Should we make some kind of Google Spreadsheet where every one could enter their preferred stats/class ?

It would be easier to compare/make stats on the resulting numbers.... 

EDIT: something like this (feel free to edit, bit busy atm)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wUGQY5acVyAHrr354XmmCkoE3dzWjzqWHXD-TG3hyNM/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 1

• Might: Typically baseline value of 10. I will prioritize Might higher for Clerics, Paladins, and Druids, but is rarely maxed.

• Dex: Always 10 with exception to the Cipher. Ciphers always have their action speed maximized.

• Con: Often minimized. Melee characters will typically be assigned above 10, but rarely maxed.

• Intellect: Most of the classes I play benefit from this. Often maximized.

• Perception: Always maximized, except in the case of a purely defensive warrior build.

• Resolve: Second highest priority for classes I most frequent. Often maximized.

Edit: This pertains exclusively to the v333 build.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1

Should we make some kind of Google Spreadsheet where every one could enter their preferred stats/class ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wUGQY5acVyAHrr354XmmCkoE3dzWjzqWHXD-TG3hyNM/edit?usp=sharing

That's not a bad idea. I put some entries in.

That's not a bad idea. I put some entries in.

I've added some formulas to compute attribute averages by class. 

Halfway through, I realized that I could write a much smoother answer if I make the explanation in MMO terms :

Wizards: Use as controlers. Max Int for AoE and Res for Duration. Ignore might and Con. Maybe add a bit Dex if you max out Int and Res.

Fighters: Use as tank. Max out Int and Con. ignore everything else.

Rogues: The DPS class. Max out Per. Increase Mig and dex equally for the almost inconsequential increase to DPS.

Chanter: Another weaker but useful DPS. Max out Res and PER. Ignore the rest.

Priest: Healer. Max out the Res and Int. Ignore the rest.

Other classes are pointless hassle. Monks can be really good DPS but not worth the micro, when rogues can do the job better.

My typical party composition when game comes out assuming this is the final iteration of core stat changes: Two Rogues, Two fighters, Priest and a chanter Wizard.

Edited by Captain Shrek
  • Like 1

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Wizards aren't that controll-y in PE though, at least with the spell selection that you get in the beta. Druids are FAR better at that role.

Cast web and slow. Those are my startes.

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

They are also pretty useless as Tanks as well as i just found out.

Wore BB wizard armor with BB priest shield

mig 10

con 16

dex 16

per 10

int 7

res 19

Started combat with Arcane Veil (talented) on and tried to chain cast all the buffs from strongest to weakest.

I didn't even get to the 3rd spell vs Medreth before i got killed.

Edited by Cubiq

They are also pretty useless as Tanks as well as i just found out.

Wore BB wizard armor with BB priest shield

mig 10

con 16

dex 16

per 10

int 7

res 19

Started combat with Arcane Veil (talented) on and tried to chain cast all the buffs from strongest to weakest.

I didn't even get to the 3rd spell vs Medreth before i got killed.

But why bother?

Fighters are amzing tanks. They are designed TO BE tanks. Just mop up all enemies in Engagements and boom boom with rogues.

kinda OT:

Engagement isn't required to make everyone attack the Fighter, all you need to do is make sure that he's the closest party member to enemies when combat starts, and maybe even have him make the first attack. Enemies in PE don't change targets ever, so it's not hard. Engagement is also really buggy/abusable.

But why bother?

Fighters are amzing tanks. They are designed TO BE tanks. Just mop up all enemies in Engagements and boom boom with rogues.

To see how well the buffs actually work.

As it turns out they are absolutely ****.

I think if you use all of your spell slots for buffs and chain cast them, wear armor and a shield, they should at lest be as sturdy as a fighter.

Currently it's just not worth casting any sort of defensive self only buff in this game.

Has anyone tried doing a direct comparison run of the same class with many drastically different attribute builds?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Currently it's just not worth casting any sort of defensive self only buff in this game.

Agreed. Ever since Poison was nerfed in v301, I haven't cast a single buff other than Priest heals, just damage and debuffs. Anything that isn't doing either of those is a waste of time, currently.

I never go below 10 (even before the change, old habits).

Usually I got with "try to maximize one aspect of the class and pad a bit the weakness". This less or more mean Intellect/Resolve prioritized for the casters and Perception over Dex/Con/Might for everyone. I always preferred intellectual fighters over brutes (my D&D 3.5 fighters are always expertise fighters).

I also increase Intellect for Barbarian and Paladins, because it boost Carnage and Aura range (even if just a little, Paladin's auras are so small by default).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Has anyone tried doing a direct comparison run of the same class with many drastically different attribute builds?

I did. Makes classes pretty much useless. Fighters with Res and Dex max with might added practically made them fodder. Wizards with per and Dex maxed made them weakish wannabe nukers etc. 

• Like 1