So I was wondering on if there were any thoughts about what the Backer only pet would possibly be? Is it possible to even get a pet if you're not a backer? Is it a ranger animal companion, or a special critter that can show up at your stronghold? What do people think it will be? And what do people hope it will be?

Me, I'm hoping for an animal that you can get at your stronghold.

^I like the idea of the pet nosing around for food - might take too much programming to have it interact with the 2D background though (flitting between trees - it would need to know where the trees are in each area)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

So it’s a cosmetic-only thing?

A small critter following you around and doing nothing?

(might sound as I wouldn’t enjoy it: on the contrary I hope it’s a cosmetic-only bonus)

It wasn't advertised as more than cosmetic during the Kickstarter, so I would be surprised if it was anything else. In Obsidian's own words: "The pet is optional and will not have any in-game function besides being a quiet companion that will never leave your side."

• Like 1

I still want a little hawk that does nothing except flit between trees as it follows you, or accross rooftops, maybe on occasion darts off screen and returns with a fresh mouse! =]

Yeah, does nothing but that... and ISSUES FORTH BEAKY, BEAKY JUSTICE TO THE UNRIGHTEOUS!

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I still want a little hawk that does nothing except flit between trees as it follows you, or accross rooftops, maybe on occasion darts off screen and returns with a fresh mouse! =]

Damn, this sounds so cool, I don't want a piglet now! :lol:

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I want a cat.  If I don't get my damned cat, I'm going to picket outside the Obsidian offices in a cat suit.  In fact, I'll dress up as Cat Woman and wear a sandwich board sign with mice stapled to it.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I want a cat.  If I don't get my damned cat, I'm going to picket outside the Obsidian offices in a cat suit.  In fact, I'll dress up as Cat Woman and wear a sandwich board sign with mice stapled to it.

You should probably staple a few touchpads and trackballs, too, just to really drive home the point. 6_u

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A long-tailed weasel, mink, stoat, or pine marten would be my choice. They're not too large and are perpetually curious, hungry, and get into everything they can fit their skull through. They'd be great to have raising havoc at the stronghold, particularly if it was detailed in an otherwise important or dignified cut scene.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

So it’s a cosmetic-only thing?

A small critter following you around and doing nothing?

(might sound as I wouldn’t enjoy it: on the contrary I hope it’s a cosmetic-only bonus)

I think it's intended to be cosmetic only. At the moment, it wanders around it will trigger any traps in the area - if it dies, you can un-equip and re-equip and it's back to its old self again. So, it's actually quite useful.

I'm reasonably sure that behavior is a bug.

Never used the piglet for traps. It just seems to wander around aimlessly.  

Yes, it seems to (more or less) do a random walk centered on the PC.

It isn't an especially efficient way to disarm traps, but it can be done - especially if you can detect but not disarm the traps (but really, it's mostly for the lulz). 

HAHAHAHAHA... I didn't know the pets triggered traps. That is unintended (and cruel) behavior.  tongue.png

I dunno... I mean, the creature IS eternal, so... :)

Now I wanna name mine "Admiral Akbar."

Yeah, we think of ourselves as the player in Pillars of Eternity. The backer pet thinks it's TNO in Torment.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Never used the piglet for traps. It just seems to wander around aimlessly.  

No interactions, hmm? That largely defeats the purpose of including a pet as a bonus. If it's a bonus, it ought to do something--theft, scouting, minor bonus to ability/skill, comic relief, etc.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/