Which HUD UI do you prefer?

Gairnulf

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which HUD UI do you prefer?

• Extra long combat log, buttons on top (although they look like tabs in my mockup): http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/4474/7Bkz79.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side instead of the center: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/5145/N2yilu.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side, solid backgrounds to conserve horizontal space, green gems supposed to be used to toggle panels: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/3223/5mESW7.jpg
    • I decided to call this "IE games nostalgic": http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1479/mflbM8.jpg
    • Sensuki offered another layout today, with the combat log on the left side. I made a mockup of the same idea, so it's easier to compare to the others visually: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img674/2636/vETHWV.jpg
    • The current HUD UI

Retreated into full denial, I see.

Since you're basically gone, I'll just point out that NWN had 100% of the elements found in wow, not the "not quite there", literally all. LA2, Everquest and even AO had all ui elements, except the portraits. Have fun in your world of denial and fanboyism.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Retreated into full denial, I see.

It's nice for you to admit you're in denial. Would be even nice if you snapped out of it. :)

NWN had 100% of the elements found in wow

OK, now a serious question: have you ever seen WoW or NWN? Even a screenshot? Because you're embarrassing yourself saying such things.

Edited by prodigydancer

I voted for the 3rd choice- the solid UI. I would like it if the HUD was more compact than what we have now.

I wouldn't mind for the 'IE nostalgic' choice also, but not my first choice.

The important thing is the combat log is in the middle.

I would prefer the char portraits to be in the solid HUD as well, and if they decide to add actions bars on the portraits it will be pretty easy to monitor what is happening just looking at the bottom of the screen.

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I ended up picking "Leave it the way it is." but that's only because I've been playing that way and have become accustomed to it. Not because it is necessarily better.

Ideally I'd like to see a IU system like in NWN2 where everything can be rearranged and the player can arrange it the way he likes it.

Murder in Dunlop, Fanglewood, �My Class is Rogue ... "You look surprised to see me. If you'd been paying attention, you might still be alive." bandit.png

The important thing is the combat log is in the middle.

It doesn't have to be in the middle, but being on the right is just... Horrible.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

My vote goes to Buttons on the right side instead of the center

I think its the most clear UI and also you have all your actions on the bottom side, so you don't have to switch between left and right all the time to manage your party.

I decided to pick the Infinity Engine nostalgic one.  Not just for nostalgia's sake, but because I don't like to have the entire 1/8th of the screen taken up, I prefer having the info spread around.  Also I always do the character profiles vertical, but usually use the upper left side of the screen for that.

All that said, I really hope they make the UI completely customizable, a la Wasteland 2.  That was brilliant idea.  Do you guys know if this will happen, or if it will have to modded to do so?

The only thing I saw in yesterday's twitch video that hinted at changes to the UI was in the lines of "we're looking into ways to provide better feedback", and I think it was meant mostly about the message log. Brandon (Adler, BAdler) denied any chance for a completely customizeable UI.

I was relieved to at least see they've reduced the line height in the message log in the build they were playing, so it will stil be possible to see about 4 lines of text in it when its size is the shortest possible (right now it's just 2 lines, due to too much distance between lines).

It's overall disappointing for me, not so much for the HUD UI, but because they will leave intact the current system with the halos above characters' heads and the recovery timers, which both seem very out of place for me and I am positive they can easily be improved - in ways I've suggested in another thread.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png