Which HUD UI do you prefer?

Gairnulf

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which HUD UI do you prefer?

• Extra long combat log, buttons on top (although they look like tabs in my mockup): http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/4474/7Bkz79.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side instead of the center: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/5145/N2yilu.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side, solid backgrounds to conserve horizontal space, green gems supposed to be used to toggle panels: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/3223/5mESW7.jpg
    • I decided to call this "IE games nostalgic": http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1479/mflbM8.jpg
    • Sensuki offered another layout today, with the combat log on the left side. I made a mockup of the same idea, so it's easier to compare to the others visually: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img674/2636/vETHWV.jpg
    • The current HUD UI

I count all the votes for the "IE nostalgic" version to be votes for Seari's version as well (sorry, I can't edit the initial post and the poll any more). Since it's a "nostalgic" version, I suppose whoever voted for it would also support the version that's even closer to the BGII UI.

Yes, but then you're counting my vote against (I voted Sensuki's in the poll and then Saeri posted his later) - so my preference between 'IE Nostalgic' and Sensuki's is for Sensuki's, but between that and Saeri's version, I'd vote for Saeri's.

But that's probably enough arguing over what the poll results mean :lol:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I like Seari´s second option best, though I still feel theres something missing.

Id probably end up hiding the left pillar entirely as those are way too big buttons for things you can do with hotkeys.

I think the current in-game UI´s button menu wouldnt go bad if placed on the lower left corner there as oposed to splayed vertically and you can always hide it in the end.

This would probably be my preferred layout for bottom bar UI

VVuSqyO.jpg

Except I'd move select all into the very bottom right, because that's where it was in the BG games.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I count all the votes for the "IE nostalgic" version to be votes for Seari's version as well (sorry, I can't edit the initial post and the poll any more). Since it's a "nostalgic" version, I suppose whoever voted for it would also support the version that's even closer to the BGII UI.

Yes, but then you're counting my vote against (I voted Sensuki's in the poll and then Saeri posted his later) - so my preference between 'IE Nostalgic' and Sensuki's is for Sensuki's, but between that and Saeri's version, I'd vote for Saeri's.

You can change your vote after having cast it. Just consider "IE nostalgic" to encompass any version of the UI with such a layout :)

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

This would probably be my preferred layout for bottom bar UI

VVuSqyO.jpg

Except I'd move select all into the very bottom right, because that's where it was in the BG games.

I actually really dig this. The positioning of the portraits to the right means that ability icons are somewhat centered and can be reached quickly from the middle of the screen; the event log feels more natural on the left side since text is read left to right; the separation of action buttons and menu buttons is fine; and the lack of useless spaces mean then icons and portraits are scaled up nicely.

What needs to happen next is for all the pop up UI screens to be redesigned so that the bottom bar can remain active and be used to switch characters etc.. This will result in much needed consistency in how UI is navigated in the game.

I really hate pretty much all suggestions form the original post.

Though the IE-fakery one does show just how much better portraits on the side are than at the bottom.

Saari comes a lot closer, but I don't see the point of having so much empty space on the vertical and horizontal bar, they can easily be merged.

So my option is still, and always has been an L shaped UI, which has no floating elements, though the combat log would be floating.

And you can move the characters left or right of the the screen to desire, whatever one suits best.

All those bottom UI's still look horrible compared to the old IE (except IWD-2) HUD.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Then OE is being idiotic, since there's a reason most games place their portrait information in the top or along the side rather than the bottom... Bottom is more RTS field (since there's also the minimap there)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

i like Seari's IE suggestion (EE version). Otherwise if they stick with bottom, i like first option from Gairnulf because i like that the 10 (12?) icons are on the top border of the log (just that i would like bigger/higher portraits and log and the said icons also a little bigger).

Edited by 4ward

Only thing I don't like about Seari's, really, is that the log takes up so much horizontal space, for basically no functional reason. I tried to think of a few ideas for how to utilize a wide log like that -- maybe put allies' combat log entries on the left side, and enemies' on the right side or something -- but I can't really think of anything solid (having enemies' entries on the right, for example, would prevent you from intuitively knowing who did something first: you or an enemy.)

Maybe the log could be worked down into the lower bar, beside the action hotbar or something, instead of floating in its own entire row above that. *shrug*

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

In my own opinion, with a L-shape (since I do agree U would take too much space, and the horizontal buttons of the old IE could easily fit a lower bar with 16:9) the log would floaty.

If you want to use the full length it's probably best to cut it up. Combat log left/convolog right. Or one that gives a summary (X took Y damage) with the other being more extensive in rolls, and armor and how the damage came to be (so you have extensive and conviently compact in one log).

I'm sure there are way more things that can be thought up regarding that... I've always found putting the log in the HUD like IWD2 was a grand mistake in that game and here still. Floating above the bottom bar we can hide it or blow it up as much as we want, if stuck within an ugly bottom bar there are no such options.

^

so my preference between 'IE Nostalgic' and Sensuki's is for Sensuki's, but between that and Saeri's version, I'd vote for Saeri's.

You can change your vote after having cast it. Just consider "IE nostalgic" to encompass any version of the UI with such a layout :)

But as I said in my post (bolded for emphasis) - that's not the case - the poll is on which one you'd prefer, not which layout you'd prefer.

(Not that this matters a whole lot - Obsidian will no doubt go with their own ideas, I just hope they're flexible like in Sensuki's latest suggestion.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I know. But this one, just like the other, simply gives me a cursor revolving, and then it refuses to open.

Oh, that's the difference - before, your creations were already visible in the post, but now it shows up like a link with an X and a .jpg-file name.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

9Gz2YEr.jpg

edit: Is it working now? Seems to work for me.

edit2: Used a different site to upload the jpg, I think it should work now.

I think I would prefer it if all the buttons on the left hand bar were moved to the bar on the right.

There's no need for 2 vertical bars IMO. 

PS: I'll say it again : LOVE the log in the centre :p 

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 1