Which HUD UI do you prefer?

Gairnulf

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which HUD UI do you prefer?

• Extra long combat log, buttons on top (although they look like tabs in my mockup): http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/4474/7Bkz79.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side instead of the center: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/5145/N2yilu.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side, solid backgrounds to conserve horizontal space, green gems supposed to be used to toggle panels: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/3223/5mESW7.jpg
    • I decided to call this "IE games nostalgic": http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1479/mflbM8.jpg
    • Sensuki offered another layout today, with the combat log on the left side. I made a mockup of the same idea, so it's easier to compare to the others visually: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img674/2636/vETHWV.jpg
    • The current HUD UI

Yes I have, the UI is also a few pixels taller but that's a good thing because currently when the UI scales down to smaller resolutions IT IS TINY.

No reason why the middle section / combat log can't be collapsible, they just need a smaller button (like those globes in BG2), and the middle section needs a container.

Health bars would probably also be green / blue but yeah I made them in red two months ago and making them not look terrible in green or blue in mspaint is hard.

Something like that would also lessen the time it would take to make a solid background, because most of the dead space is being used, only a few decorative elements would be needed.

I moved all class resources (Cipher Focus, Monk Wounds, Chanter Chants and Ranger Animal Companion) on the right side. Obviously you can't be a Ranger and a Cipher at the same time, so no reason why they shouldn't use the same space.

Edited by Sensuki

Yes I have, the UI is also a few pixels taller but that's a good thing because currently when the UI scales down to smaller resolutions IT IS TINY.

No reason why the middle section / combat log can't be collapsible, they just need a smaller button (like those globes in BG2), and the middle section needs a container.

Health bars would probably also be green / blue but yeah I made them in red two months ago and making them not look terrible in green or blue in mspaint is hard.

I got the idea to use the scrollbar's gem as a button to toggle interface parts, and once I did that I thought it wouldn't make sense without solid backgrounds of all the interface, and that was how I edned up with option 3. In the worst case, they could make hiding/showing of interface happen directly through the options screens, without the ability to do it from the HUD itself.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Why wouldn't it make sense? just need a small gem button in the top middle of the log and one in the top middle of the menu bar. The flaps take up precious horizontal space.

And yeah it would also be nice to be able to flip that around so the portraits were on the right and combat log was on the left, that should be possible with Unity/NGUI. Apparently they recently updated the UI to make stuff a lot easier.

Edited by Sensuki

Why wouldn't it make sense? just need a small gem button in the top middle of the log and one in the top middle of the menu bar. The flaps take up precious horizontal space.

And yeah it would also be nice to be able to flip that around so the portraits were on the right and combat log was on the left, that should be possible with Unity/NGUI. Apparently they recently updated the UI to make stuff a lot easier.

The flaps are easier to spot on a background that's colorful and often changes (you have no guarantee what background the user will have behind the gems), that's what justifies their being bigger, at least in my opinion, while on a solid dark background it's easier to get away with smaller ui elements.

eFoHp9V.png

Personally I'd prefer something like this in the lower left corner. http://i.imgur.com/h054qlk.png

I think merging the clock and Battle/Message Log is a genious idea and looks absolutely great :) I'm worried about the gain in overall height though. What do you think about merged Clock and message log on the left side, then portraits in the center and buttons on the right side? I think this satisfies lots of requirements at once, including Obsidian's ;) (and all this with a solid background preferrably)

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Personally I'd prefer something like this in the lower left corner. http://i.imgur.com/h054qlk.png

I think merging the clock and Battle/Message Log is a genious idea and looks absolutely great :) I'm worried about the gain in overall height though. What do you think about merged Clock and message log on the left side, then portraits in the center and buttons on the right side? I think this satisfies lots of requirements at once, including Obsidian's ;) (and all this with a solid background preferrably)

How about this? http://i.imgur.com/urZO2ks.png

It's still slightly taller than vanilla, but it's only got half the added tallness of my last one, it leaves the right side empty, has a small hole at the leftmost bottom that needs to be filled with background filler, has larger portraits than vanilla.

Edited by Shallow
  • Like 1

Got bored and decided to try and replicate the Baldur's Gate UI using PoE elements. Copied various things from the posted screens, hopefully noone minds.

Po_E_BGstyle_UI.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Edited by Seari
  • Like 10

Hahah, I would totally play with that, although the portrait bar would need to be redone a bit. 

Camping supplies should be under the portraits as well. Above select all.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Got bored and decided to try and replicate the Baldur's Gate UI using PoE elements. Copied various things from the posted screens, hopefully noone minds.

Po_E_BGstyle_UI.jpg

Hell yes! THIS!!!

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Po_E_BGstyle_UI.jpg

I think it's excellent. Much better than the default PoE HUD.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 2

^^That's pretty much what I wanted in the first place - won't happen, but it's nice

(why is it so tiny?)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

^^That's pretty much what I wanted in the first place - won't happen, but it's nice

Why does OE hate us so?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

@Sensuki Like this?

Yeah and you don't need that decorative **** around the portraits either, and they could take up more space than that, as there's a few pixels on either side unused etc

Try this PNG with the green health bar or something

Untitled0.png

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Seari: Very cool mockup - so classic and classy! :)

Although I am more in the minimalist camp on the UI - I really liked the UI in NWN 2 (espec the bars) and even those wheels and mini-UIs of ToEE, I have to say, this big frame-UI fits the PoE setting very well. It's literally a frame. If the Ui panels were done in some dark wood, it would be very BG-y. The best thing about your mockup, which I miss sorely in PoE is that ability/action-icons are big. They are beautiful and they ought to be big enough to be seen and easily used. I hate those mini-squares, just like I don't like the mini-icons in the invos. Oh, and even if a bigger part of the screen is blocked, we get a combat log/text info window worthy of a IE-inspired CRPG.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Changed the solid hud pattern to a more wood-like one. Replaced portraits and made them bigger as requested. :p

Po_E_BGstyle_UI.jpg

Can't decide if I like camping supplies on the right side.

QUIT TAUNTING ME!!! :(

• Like 1