The Grand Talents Test [Volunteers Needed]

Sensuki

Obsidian has added in a lot of new talents with the latest build [v333], but unfortunately they've neglected to put the actual values that they effect in many or most of the Talent Descriptions.

I am able to extract the Talent asset files from their .unity3d packages and then import them into Unity to try and read what they do, so I'll be posting the values here in this thread.

However I've noticed that while some Talents have a script applied to them, many of them do not. This could either mean that they work slightly differently to the other Talents, or they simply haven't been implemented correctly and are thus not working.

I can't tell you whether any of the new talents are working or not, because I've mostly been sticking to the ones I know DO work when I play the game. I know that the Weapon Focus ones work 8)

So I created this thread so that people could help me test whether these talents are working or not in the game. Since they didn't tell us what we're supposed to get when we choose a talent in most instances, I will provide the values here, and then we can test them in the game to see if they do anything. Not sure whether they would have had time to test whether they are all working internally, but anyway.

Okay here is the first batch of Talents that I have been through so far. These are all ones that DO NOT HAVE THE VALUES DISPLAYED IN THE TALENT SELECTION. I have ignored the ones that do (such as the ones that give skill bonuses, extra spells etc)

Accurate Carnage +5 ACC on Carnage Attacks
Snakes Reflexes +10 Reflex
Bear's Fortitude +10 Fortitude
Bull's Will +10 Will
Savage Attack : -15 ACC / x1.5 damage
Cautious Attack: +15 Deflection / x0.8 Attack Speed
Envenomed Strike: 12 raw poison damage - lasts until combat ends?
Fast Runner: +1 to Movement Rate (combat only)
Marksman: +5 acc vs distant
Close Shooter: x1.1 damage? broken?
Shot on the Run: Reduces penalty by 10%, reduces recovery by 10% ?
Barbaric Blow - AoE 1.25x damage, 30% bonus hit to crit percent to blow and carnage hits - 1 PER ENCOUNTER LOL
Gunner - Reload Speed / 1.2 why pick Shot on Run?
Dangerous Implement - 5 raw damage to self, 1.25x damage
Two Weap Style - broken? 20% ?
2H style - +5 Deflection? broken?
1H style - 20% Graze to hit percent broken?
Weapon & Shield - broken? +10 Deflection? 1 x shield bonus to reflex ?
Graceful Retreat - +12 vs Disengagement attacks
Interrupting Blows - +15 on Interrupt Rolls broken?
Scion of Flame - +5 Burn DT, +20% ? Burn damage (or +20 burn damage) test?
Heart of the Storm - +5 Shock DT, +20% or +20 Shock damage
Secrets of the Rime - same as above two, except Freeze
Spirit of Decay - same as above except Corrode
Vulnerable Attack - -20% speed? 5 DT reduction broken?
Penetrating Shot - -20% speed 5 DT reduction broken?
Potent Potions - Cooldown (10) - Heal (25) - broken?
Accurate Traps - HAVENT CHECKED
Powerful Traps - value 40 - broken?
Bloody Slaughter - +50% hit to crit range, damage 20? broken?
Quick Switch - has values -1 and -2 (might be -1 sec?) broken ?
Wound Binding - 80 Health, 9 duration?
Field Triage - 40 Health, 9 duration ?

edit 1:

Hardened Veil: Arcane Veil becomes +25 Deflection

Viscious Companion: Animal Companion deals x1.2 base damage each hit

Swift and Steady: Reload Speed / 1.2 when using Swift Aim

Resilient Companion: +3 flat DT to everything for Ranger Animal Companion

Faithful Companion: +15 Defense vs Charmed, Confused and Domination Effects ? for Ranger Animal Companion

Strengthened Bond: +15 to something to do with the Defensive Bond Ranger Ability (might be a defense boost?) broken ?

Merciless Companion: Gives Ranger Animal Companion Sneak Attack for 1.2x damage (p. cool rite)

Brilliant Radiance: 20? Burn damage to enemies caught in Priest Holy Radiance AoE heal

The Pallid Hand: Grants Concelhault's Corrosive Siphon Ability - 5 corrode damage per tick, 10 duration? AND it says it grants Weapon Specialization for Great Sword and Mace - can't confirm that, don't even know if Weapon Specialization Fighter version is working properly yet anyway

Here are all the ones I've checked so far with my notes. Question marks indicate I'm not 100% sure if that's correct based on the actual scripts in the asset file, not by what the game says. broken? means it looks like it's not implemented correctly in the script, but it possibly could be if someone was able to test it in the game.

I will keep going through the scripts, if anyone has time to test the values, then post in the thread whether you found it to work or not

Cheers

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

Looks like Obsidian has also removed a bunch of talents as well. There's no longer any Talents that give extra spells slots :/, and the Penetrating Blast talent has been removed for Wizards as well

Edited by Sensuki

I've found that there's extra scripts in the Talent files that I need to check, as the 'main' one doesn't necessarily have the values for them. So the amount of "broken?" may just mean that those talents scripts aren't showing in the main one in the Unity Editor, so I'll go back through all of the original ones in the OP at another date later this week or something.

Inspiriting Radiance: +5 Accuracy to allies caught in Holy Radiance AoE for 15 seconds (base)

Aggrandizing Radiance: NEED TO CHECK

Hope Eternal: Accuracy bonus with Flail and Morningstar (confirmed working). Says something about "can cast a healing spell that shortens Frightened and Terrified Afflictions". It doesn't add a new healing spell to the action bar though ? Doesn't have any files inside the talent file for other healing spells either, so I'm not sure whether that actually works or not. There's an ability in there that is a ranged attack that targets friendly units that does something to ResistAffliction (going to have to check what that does in the source code) and has values of -10, ExtraValue of -10, -10 onTick, ExtraValue -5 but it doesn't add anything to the character when I've gone and selected it in the game.

Very confusing ... not sure if it's actually implemented properly?

edit 2: The Weapon Specialization bonus to damage doesn't look like it's working. Made a Priest with 10 Might and equipped a Morningstar. Damage was same as base in inventory.

Inspired Flame (Priest of Magran): +10 Accuracy with Sword and Arquebus (confirmed working) Grants Ability "Lesser Summer Flame" which does 20-30 burn damage in AoE - working correctly

Going to go back and check those other Priest talents now, they might have meant Weapon Focus / Accuracy bonus and not Weapon Specialization

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Update on The Pallid Hand - I read the description wrong, it adds a +10 Accuracy bonus with Maces and Greatswords (description says Accuracy bonus but not how much), not Weapon Specialization. Those bonuses are working too. The Corrosive Siphon Ability is there as well, as a Level 2 Priest Spell.

Prey on the Weak (Priest of Skaen) - Adds +10 Accuracy with Stiletto and Club, grants Lesser Sneak Attack for x.1.5 damage (p. good rite?) - both working

Incomprehensible Revelation (Priest of Wael) - Adds +10 Accuracy with Quarterstaff and Rod (confirmed working) and adds a Lesser Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights as a 1st Level Priest spell (working)

Remember Rakhan Field (Bleak Walker Paladin) - Adds +50% Corrode proc damage to Flames of Devotion ability (working)

Fires of Darcozzi Palace (Darcozzi Paladini Paladin) - Is supposed to grant a "weak version of Flame Shield" when the Paladin uses the Flames of Devotion ability. The VFX for the Flame Shield definitely plays temporarily but according to the game files it's supposed to make attacks against Reflex for 5-10 burn damage to .... "all" targets but not sure if it's supposed to be an AoE or ??? Either way, I have yet to see it make an attack against anyone yet while I've been testing it. The VFX plays and it turns off. Could possibly be related to the bug with Paladin Auras atm, not sure ... but either way, nothing happens.

Strange Mercy (Kind Wayfarer Paladin) - When Paladin downs a foe, allies within 6m? (not sure on that) gain 20? Endurance. (haven't tested)

The Sword and the Shepherd (Kind Wayfarer Paladin) - Acts the same as Strange Mercy, except it happens when the Paladin uses Flames of Devotion. (have not tested tho)

Intense Flames: changes Paladin Flames of Devotion to +150% ? damage from +100% (needs testing)

Deep Faith:  adds +2 Deflection, +5 to Fort/Ref/Will to Paladin Faith and Conviction passive. (haven't tested)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Are you using the editor extension to view the unity3d files? If you do and you find talents that actually work properly, but don't show properly in the editor, let me know, cause it's just that I referenced classes from v278 or something like that, and they may have been updated a little in the meantime, which could affect things.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Nah I'm not using that, I'm using default Unity and just pasting the asset files into my Unity Project folder. Unity can still read the files.

In my OP I found out that there are multiple scripts stored in the file, and sometimes the effect of the talent is stored in one of the extra effects. I've been going through and checking those as well as of now so many of the talents with "broken?" in the OP probably store their effects in a separate script file.

Edited by Sensuki

Many Rogue talents still exist Sensuki they are just level gated.  For example Backstab.... and the one that lets you turn invisible twice per encounter I think, or is it per rest, either way I assure you it works.

Shielding Flames: +10 Deflection to nearby allies for base 10 seconds when using Flames of Devotion

Aggrandizing Radiance: Holy Radiance becomes 3 second duration, 15 stamina heal per tick? (not sure) and and grants the Priest +2 to all attributes for 10 seconds when used

Lesser Wounds: Lower's the Monk Wound Threshold by 2, not 100% sure how Wounds work though, but here's some information about them

You can have up to 10 wounds, there's a value called WoundDamageReductionPct and the value is 20 (so 20%), Wounds say they have a duration of 20 in the files and apply Raw damage over time, although amount unknown ?

Edited by Sensuki

Update on The Pallid Hand - I read the description wrong, it adds a +10 Accuracy bonus with Maces and Greatswords (description says Accuracy bonus but not how much), not Weapon Specialization. Those bonuses are working too. The Corrosive Siphon Ability is there as well, as a Level 2 Priest Spell.

Prey on the Weak (Priest of Skaen) - Adds +10 Accuracy with Stiletto and Club, grants Lesser Sneak Attack for x.1.5 damage (p. good rite?) - both working

Incomprehensible Revelation (Priest of Wael) - Adds +10 Accuracy with Quarterstaff and Rod (confirmed working) and adds a Lesser Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights as a 1st Level Priest spell (working)

Remember Rakhan Field (Bleak Walker Paladin) - Adds +50% Corrode proc damage to Flames of Devotion ability (working)

Fires of Darcozzi Palace (Darcozzi Paladini Paladin) - Is supposed to grant a "weak version of Flame Shield" when the Paladin uses the Flames of Devotion ability. The VFX for the Flame Shield definitely plays temporarily but according to the game files it's supposed to make attacks against Reflex for 5-10 burn damage to .... "all" targets but not sure if it's supposed to be an AoE or ??? Either way, I have yet to see it make an attack against anyone yet while I've been testing it. The VFX plays and it turns off. Could possibly be related to the bug with Paladin Auras atm, not sure ... but either way, nothing happens.

Strange Mercy (Kind Wayfarer Paladin) - When Paladin downs a foe, allies within 6m? (not sure on that) gain 20? Endurance. (haven't tested)

The Sword and the Shepherd (Kind Wayfarer Paladin) - Acts the same as Strange Mercy, except it happens when the Paladin uses Flames of Devotion. (have not tested tho)

Intense Flames: changes Paladin Flames of Devotion to +150% ? damage from +100% (needs testing)

Deep Faith:  adds +2 Deflection, +5 to Fort/Ref/Will to Paladin Faith and Conviction passive. (haven't tested)

Try save the game after u choose intense flames or other talents enhancing flame of devotion, and load the game, they do NOT work now.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

My bad about thinking Wizard and Rogue talents are missing. They're not missing they are all just level-gated.

However the talent descriptions don't say they are level gated and there seems to be a bug where if I cheat myself up to level 12 and then go to pick a talent, I can pick any talent I want at level 2, regardless of what level it is.

I suppose so. I suppose by then it doesn't matter.

Anyway I'll do another stint later tonight and get the real values of some more Talents. Then I will add those values to the wiki.

Has anyone tested Shadowing Beyond which makes the Rogue "invisible" ? What it basically does is it gives the Rogue the Arcane Veil FX, but I don't think it's working properly because I used it in combat and was killed while it was active by a direct attack, so the Rogue doesn't appear to be 'invisible' to anyone while using it.

Edited by Sensuki

I must just say that I bow to your determination Sensuki

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Powerful Sprint (Barbarian) - Increases the Movement Rate of Wild Sprint by 2, from 5 to 7 (untested).

Stalwart Defiance (Barbarian) - Gives +10 to all defenses of nearby allies, in the Unity Inspector it says "size: 4". (Actual in game size needs confirmation in game).

Beloved Spirits (Chanter) - Adds the value of +2 to however it heals Stamina. Which is strange because the default Ancient Memory says it heals 0.2 Stamina (decimal or percentage ? unknown) per tick ? either way, this ability and talent are really confusing.

Biting Whip (Cipher) - seems like it stacks the Cipher's Soul Whip damage by a further x1.2, so like Attack * 1.2 * 1.2

Edited by Sensuki

I just figured out that the Active Effects section of the Character Record is pretty verbose and actually contains values for everything. So if you have a passive on or whatever, it shows the value there.

• 4 weeks later...

Level gating sucks balls, it prevents you from building a character like you want to, and it prevents you from planning ahead. that is just terribad game design. Now you're going to have either a sub-par character, or ruin the game by having the wiki open in the background so you can plan your character build more properly.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I suppose so. I suppose by then it doesn't matter.

Anyway I'll do another stint later tonight and get the real values of some more Talents. Then I will add those values to the wiki.

Can't believe it took so long to see this post and point.  Actually it does matter.  You can no longer "level past" choices.  What I mean is the way the level up interface works is once you start your level up you are forced to make a choice, you can't choose to not assign a skill or talent.  Also since the level gated skills don't work that way apparently unless you cheat your way to higher level it is clearly not intended for you to be able to level up then just buy higher level gated talents with low level skill earnings.

What I am saying is that when you are leveling normally without jacking your character in the BB you can't choose level 5 skills (just example) until you actually initiate the "level 5" level up.

Edited by Karkarov