Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Yknow what's sad to me is how simplified you can make everything, yet it's blown up so dramatically.

For example GamerGhazi was saying Mattie's comments are "ironic sexism" or some crap where her goal is to give men the same exact treatment women receive from Xbox mic screamers to see how they enjoy it. That? That actually sounds fairly reasonable to me, yknow make us sympathize first hand with it.

The problem?

They're basically stereotyping an entire gender based on one **** with a mic who said terrible things. It's like this is the internet (or an online gaming community) in this case where he can enjoy being anonymous; he wouldn't say this stuff face to face or in real life. And in that same regard I wouldn't exactly call him proof society is sexist, because surely he knows better and hides that crap until he's in private with likely-sexist family or a setting where he's anonymous, so society never knows or recognizes him as a sexist individual and CAN'T complain.

But yeah, point is there's no reason to treat ALL men like this just because one guy once upon a time did something similar. It's rather unreasonable, imo, and yet sadly there seems to be this attitude it's justified. Sadly that same GamerGhazi thread for example had a bit of an attitude that men are hypocrites because we can't take Mattie's treatment. No you see, that's because none of us saying "wtf" have ever acted like that before, so OF COURSE we find it outrageous.

In a nutshell and at it's core, this is just overly dramatic and unfortunate stereotyping, where an entire gender is being attacked for something one person did.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

For example GamerGhazi was saying Mattie's comments are "ironic sexism" or some crap where her goal is to give men the same exact treatment women receive from Xbox mic screamers to see how they enjoy it. That? That actually sounds fairly reasonable to me, yknow make us sympathize first hand with it.

The only reason we care a tiny bit about those comments are that they're made by someone who goes on to have influence on judging stuff, and because she's clowning around like McIntosh which is always amusing. Making us sympathize with how women feel about people with microphones in online games spouting sexist crap also doesn't seem like it's working here, because the women and sjws who speak out against that stuff make it seem like it's the evil patriarchal oppression-machine rolling over them, whilst I personally, and from the looks of it, most other people here, just think "Oh look, someone is spouting stupid and slightly amusing stuff, that's a bit funny, that someone probably shouldn't be a judge in any contests though.", if anything this would make me less sympathetic to women playing online games, because this would make me feel they're overreacting dramatically.

Serious question: why do you guys care so much about people I've never heard of?

I'm sorry, I can see that they are saying very silly things, but they just seem very unimportant and not really worth any attention. Am I missing something?

Besides that some of it is just fun it puts on display the hypocrisy of people who generalize others and demand 'harassment stops' while not even acknowledging when it's done on their behalf.

Serious question: why do you guys care so much about people I've never heard of?

I imagine that's because those people sadly shape gaming media and thus the future of gaming industry.

That and they are getting desperate as gamergate peaked some two weeks ago and is losing steam fast.

Right now it's looking like this movement won't be doing any long-term good and people are upset.

IGF buckled, shame.

In amusing news, the Dorito Pope announced game awards - http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/videogame-industry-rallies-around-first-game-awards-exclusive-1201352339/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I'm sorry, I can see that they are saying very silly things, but they just seem very unimportant and not really worth any attention. Am I missing something?"

Entertainment.

They also claimed I was dead and threatened to murder me. Yet, they lie abotu that. I'm still alive and still playing games. They need to try harder if theya re gonna murder me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

http://youtu.be/V9fiz35EP2I

Very good video.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm still alive and still playing games.

I'm going to need evidence for either of those claims.

I came to a very sad realization today.

In the distant annuls of a few months ago, something truly despicable happened. And I hope we can all agree that's what happened. Several women were harrased and sent death threats. It was a big thing, I think we all remember it. The talk dominated much of the game discussion. There were very loud people who even sought to justify it.

A few people decided that things should not really be going down that path. That being a gamer doesn't have to be about that. That we all have a responsibility to put an end to it. That developers, the tech industry, and we the consumers should not tolerate a voice of hate being the loudest in the room and allowing them to tarnish the reputation we have as a whole.

And instead of trying to be better, which is what we should have all moved to do, some people double downed on that behavior. They were offended that anyone call into questions the culture or ask them to do anything. They tried to marginalize people who asked us to be better. There were accused of immorally conspiring to ask us to have better standards.

It's just so disappointing.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In the distant annuls of a few months ago, something truly despicable happened. And I hope we can all agree that's what happened. Several women were harrased and sent death threats.

This happened; so I agree with that.

A few people decided that things should not really be going down that path. That being a gamer doesn't have to be about that. 

I think almost everyone thinks that those things are bad. As for being a gamer being about that; no one with any sense ever suggested there was any association of any kind with being a gamer and sending death threats. There is no connection between being a troll who sends death threats and being a gamer; not now, not ever.

That we all have a responsibility to put an end to it.

I'm pretty sure that would be the responsibility of law enforcement; not all of our responsibility. I guess we could push for better law enforcement when it comes to cyber-crime.

That developers, the tech industry, and we the consumers should not tolerate a voice of hate being the loudest in the room and allowing them to tarnish the reputation we have as a whole.

No one does; at least, not among consumers. I can't say about anything about developers or tech industry, but I've never seen a voice of hate being the loudest in the room among consumers.

And instead of trying to be better, which is what we should have all moved to do, some people double downed on that behavior. 

Why do we all need to be better when we're already great? The only people who needed/need to be less threatening/harassing are trolls. The trolls just kept doing what they do because they're jerks. Better cyber-crime divisions would be the only thing you can do about the death threats; that or learn the number 1 rule about trolls.

They tried to marginalize people who asked us to be better. There were accused of immorally conspiring to ask us to have better standards.

Whom tried to marginalize people, and whom was asked to be better? As for conspiring: I guess you're talking about the corrupt pseudo journalists whom first denied that they were colluding to push a common narrative; then when caught resorted to calling people names.

They never asked us to be better; not that we needed to. They hurled insults at us; accused us of sins that we never committed; re-invented what "gamer" meant and expected us to take it seriously, then told us not to use the word anymore based on a definition of the word that never existed except in their own minds. All the while pretending that they weren't in collusion to push a BS narrative. 

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

In the distant annuls of a few months ago, something truly despicable happened. And I hope we can all agree that's what happened. Several women were harrased and sent death threats. It was a big thing, I think we all remember it. The talk dominated much of the game discussion. There were very loud people who even sought to justify it.

Absolutely, the harrasment was despicable as were the death threats.  It should be noted that the threats have never actually been linked to GamerGate and that GamerGaters even identified and tracked down the man responsible for the threats against Anita, she just decided to ignore that information since it would damage her narrative.

A few people decided that things should not really be going down that path. That being a gamer doesn't have to be about that. That we all have a responsibility to put an end to it. That developers, the tech industry, and we the consumers should not tolerate a voice of hate being the loudest in the room and allowing them to tarnish the reputation we have as a whole.

And those people came to be many and go under the banners of GamerGate and NotYourShield.

And instead of trying to be better, which is what we should have all moved to do, some people double downed on that behavior. They were offended that anyone call into questions the culture or ask them to do anything. They tried to marginalize people who asked us to be better. There were accused of immorally conspiring to ask us to have better standards.

It absolutely is disappointing that these Social Justice Warriors would engage in so much harassment, bullying, advocating bullying, hurling of racial slurs, etc.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Personally I refuse to be told how to "be better" by hatemongering fascists, who demonise millions and wish to emulate the Nazi's. Especially not for a crime I had no part in. I play games recreationally, there is no culture to that, I simply use it as entertainment the same as television or books, I should certainly not be marginalised and condemned for that.

What is disappointing is that instead of these supposedly educated adults blaming the guilty, they attempted to marginalise millions based upon an entertainment activity, thus revealing more about themselves and their vicious little nasty views of those whom they are supposed to serve and inform in an unbiased, ethical and objective manner.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Very good video.

He was fair, and mostly correct. I may need to watch more of his show.

I mean at the end of the day, it really isn't a big issue. If the journos win and they get to keep being corrupt and pushing an agenda, and the publishers bow to the journo's pressure and do a game with a gay trans person of colour main character, and it doesnt sell because 99% of the gaming public cant relate because the number of gay trans PoCs is such a tiny part of the market, we'll still end up getting male power fantasy games because they sell.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Very good video.

He was fair, and mostly correct. I may need to watch more of his show.

I mean at the end of the day, it really isn't a big issue. If the journos win and they get to keep being corrupt and pushing an agenda, and the publishers bow to the journo's pressure and do a game with a gay trans person of colour main character, and it doesnt sell because 99% of the gaming public cant relate because the number of gay trans PoCs is such a tiny part of the market, we'll still end up getting male power fantasy games because they sell.

You should, it is quite refreshing to watch a liberal opinion show that isn't slowly becoming as insane as FOX News.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"I'm going to need evidence for either of those claims."

Sadly, check Steam and xbox live.

Still alive in playin'.

"I came to a very sad realization today."

\Harassment and detah rates are wrong so why do you keep making excuses for those who threaten to murder me and harassed me by accusing me falsely of being sexist racist rapist corpse? I've seen no apologies to me for such an evil attack.

Yet, a lot of false accusations against me.

\

That's sexpected, though, by feminists and SJWs who harass, threaten, and attack everyone who doesn't suck their white  you know whats.

Me, though? I'll continue to play to play games and not be sexist and racist. I ALWAYS WIN.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, because the people telling others to be "better" really went about it in a way that had any realistic chances of success. Who could have known that snark, condescension and the usual Twitter echo chamber dogpiling would not actually be persuasive. Interesting that you see it that way, but oh well. It's all been rather entertaining, people wringing their hands and actually being upset that the industry is affected by this and that anything of value was lost (Brice ? Frank ? anyone?).

But it looks like it has ended. About the only thing that may change is that people may learn Twitter is useless for discussion. Well, and Quinn, Alexander and Wu's Patreon accounts, perhaps.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes, because the people telling others to be "better" really went about it in a way that had any realistic chances of success. Who could have known that snark, condescension and the usual Twitter echo chamber dogpiling would not actually be persuasive. Interesting that you see it that way, but oh well. It's all been rather entertaining, people wringing their hands and actually being upset that the industry is affected by this and that anything of value was lost (Brice ? Frank ? anyone?).

But it looks like it has ended. About the only thing that may change is that people may learn Twitter is useless for discussion. Well, and Quinn, Alexander and Wu's Patreon accounts, perhaps.

Not to mention the part where we were told not to use the word "gamer" since they decided it meant white male misogynist for some reason. Let me tell you guys a little story:

I live in a part of Michigan where nearly everyone is black. When I went to high school; I was one of about ten people who were white. I got to meet some cool people there, and guess what plenty of them called themselves? Gamers. Do you want to know why? Because they really liked video games. Who'd have guessed it.

Gamer never, ever, referred to white people. In fact, it was a term that was/is as racially diverse as a word could be. Those journalists are f**king morons obsessed with identity politics. Some clueless fool in academia decided (with no evidence, but rather blind racial ideology) that "gamer" had some sort of connection with whiteness. I don't get it but whatever; then some buffoon pseudo journalists tell us not to use the word anymore? Forget them. 

They weren't trying to make anyone better. They were trying to get rid of a word because some idiot decided it refers to white people or misogynists (a claim with no more validity than the whiteness claim).

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 6

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Namutree wins. original.gif

Gamer has NOTHING to do with the colour of skin. Gaming has never been about colour. Anyone who thinks that is racist. Plain and simple.

The fact this even needs to be said is a bit sad.

Namutree wins. :)

Gamer has NOTHING to do with the colour of skin. Gaming has never been about colour. Anyone who thinks that is racist. Plain and simple.

Except that Koreans are really good at MOBA.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Personally I refuse to be told how to "be better" by hatemongering fascists, who demonise millions and wish to emulate the Nazi's. Especially not for a crime I had no part in. I play games recreationally, there is no culture to that, I simply use it as entertainment the same as television or books, I should certainly not be marginalised and condemned for that.

What is disappointing is that instead of these supposedly educated adults blaming the guilty, they attempted to marginalise millions based upon an entertainment activity, thus revealing more about themselves and their vicious little nasty views of those whom they are supposed to serve and inform in an unbiased, ethical and objective manner.

Well said. I'm not interested in their "better".

furthermore, they are trying to "sanitize" the internet. I personally do not want that.

I believe the internet culture is worth preserving as it is. Why?

Because everything is a two-edged blade. You cannot change what is bad about it without demolishing what is good about it in the process.

I do not want the internet to mimic the real world in terms of everything (standard, conventions, lack of anyonyimity, etc.) I have the real world for that.

I'm quite happy with accepting the bad as a trade-off for the good.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

furthermore, they are trying to "sanitize" the internet. I personally do not want that.

Because everything is a two-edged blade. You cannot change what is bad about it without demolishing what is good about it in the process.

I do not want the internet to mimic the real world in terms of everything (standard, conventions, lack of anyonyimity, etc.) I have the real world for that.

I hear what you saying but you can't separate the Internet from RL

In other words its not unreasonable to expect people to behave on the Internet the same way we expect them to behave in RL in most cases

So there are codes of conduct that need to be enforced on certain websites and forums and certain statements and perspectives that won't be acceptable just because they said on the Internet

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hear what you saying but you can't separate the Internet from RL

In other words its not unreasonable to expect people to behave on the Internet the same way we expect them to behave in RL in most cases

So there are codes of conduct that need to be enforced on certain websites and forums and certain statements and perspectives that won't be acceptable just because they said on the Internet

But variety is good.

I want anarchy on my internet and I want democracy in real life. If I get sick of the anarchy, I can log off. If I want a little fun, I log on.

Furthermore, yknow a problem of today's day and age? Capitalism. It can be flawed. Very, VERY flawed. Whether it be the blatant disregard for Global Warming as an issue because it's not profitable or because oil lobbyists have enough money to silence all logical arguments, or a situation like people like myself being forced to leave the US because we cannot get healthcare under a privatized system, capitalism these days can often end up with the rich pushing the poor around and using their power to ensure they never lose that power.

But there's one thing corrupt capitalism has failed to touch: the internet. Despite the ease of lobbying for anything else, corporations have failed multiple times to privatize and censor the internet.

The anonymity and anarchy of the internet is powerful, and mark my words, we're gonna need it. Surrendering the internet to censorship and regulation would be a grave mistake. And hell, I just might off myself if I had to watch the internet finally lose to corporations all because a ****ing lying tool cried that a man was mean to her on CoD.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

My sad realisation is that you actually believe this is what is going on.

Here's an interesting fact: In 2012, Gamasutra declined to run this article: http://www.designersnotebook.com/Columns/115_A_Call_to_Arms/115_a_call_to_arms.htm

Also, I'd like to point out that you said this started with "women" being harassed. Jenn Frank, Anita Sarkeesian and Samantha Allen's harassment far predates GamerGate (and also wasn't reported on), and Brianna Wu's harassment came later. The only woman I will concede to being harassed at the spark of this is Zoe Quinn. Was that terrible? Yes it was. DUH. But she was far outnumbered by men being harassed over the same thing. Here's what was different: Nobody reported on them.

I wonder, where was this outrage when Phil Fish cancelled Fez 2 over harassment earlier this year? Oh wait, game journalists were making fun of him. He needed thicker skin, he needed to stop feeding the trolls and engaging them and I'm going to quote this one: He always seemed like a bit of a douche anyway. When David Vonderhaar got death threats over changes to a CoD weapon, only Polygon reported on it with any type of condemnation. You may not know this, but there are support groups for developers who get harassed. They've existed for over a year and a half. I know someone who attends one (it's a he).

Anyway, a hate movement of MRAs, who never ever managed to get any kind of following, grassroots or otherwise, have started a campaign to keep women out of the gaming industry by attacking low profile developers and journalists that were so unknown that for all intents and purposes they weren't really in the gaming industry in the first place? Does that really seem likely to you? If that's what happened, it's the most ineffective campaign I've ever heard of. I find it much more likely that journalists are using harassment seen through the lens of current gender politics to deflect people away from being able to call them out on their bull. Let's not even get in to the fact that the death threats against Anita Sarkeesian after she engaged GamerGate have been confirmed to have come from a Brazilian clickbait game journalist that has ties to other games news sites.

Asking us to be better my behind.

• Like 4

Let's not even get in to the fact that the death threats against Anita Sarkeesian after she engaged GamerGate have been confirmed to have come from a Brazilian clickbait game journalist that has ties to other games news sites.

And lets not forget no one seems to even care that he was found out. He wasn't a CoD playing white MRA dudebro and he wasn't exposed by one of these social justice snowflakes but by gamers and so no one cares about that story.

EDIT:

Here is a story about privilege, harassment, power, etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/relationships/11216787/22-years-on-Im-republishing-my-controversial-book-on-the-failings-of-feminism.html

Edited by Fighter