Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

I've got to admit these attempts at logical analysis are extremely amusing, though in a rather tragic manner. I wonder why the writers cannot percieve how they are portraying themselves, is it simple stupidity or their fanaticism?

Gender studies majors need a hobby.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've got to admit these attempts at logical analysis are extremely amusing, though in a rather tragic manner.

Do elaborate, please.

Lies, logical fallacies, blanket condemnations, unsubstantiated accusations, poor grasp of basic ethics, extremely shaky grasp on logical framebuilding, and a quite obvious bias towards the professional victims and the fascists...a rich tapestry of subject matter to laugh at.

Edit: And now a melted face Nazi trying to paint somebody else in his own colours, i'm sorry but this is hilarious.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why is DHS involved ?

Some threats are their jurisdiction. Could be threats came from outside the US.

That and I believe that domestic bomb threats are treated as terrorism which falls under their jurisdiction; I'm thinking this has to do more with Anita than with the whole Gawker thing. But is all speculation right now.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

B1sh_xIIgAAwjsD.png

Holocaust denier about denying Holocaust.

Hey, he said he was sorry about that.

To be honest his next tweet about the body count and victims is begging for trolling :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've got to admit these attempts at logical analysis are extremely amusing, though in a rather tragic manner.

Do elaborate, please.

Lies, logical fallacies, blanket condemnations, unsubstantiated accusations, poor grasp of basic ethics, extremely shaky grasp on logical framebuilding, and a quite obvious bias towards the professional victims and the fascists...a rich tapestry of subject matter to laugh at.

I need you to be a bit more specific than that.

Quoting content you find objectionable, actually sourcing why you think it's a lie/fallacious/unsubstantiated/generally built on shaky logic would be a good start.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Oh I can't be bothered to trawl through all that, i'm not that invested or pathetic. Besides anybody can see through all the blatant bias and agenda pushing in a quick glance over it.

Edit: That and these issues have been debated/debunked before and i've got a Guy to burn and fireworks to set up. The SJF's have provided me with a good chuckle for the night however, at least they have one use.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

B1sh_xIIgAAwjsD.png

Holocaust denier about denying Holocaust.

I actually laughed out loud and have earned strange glances.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

B1sh_xIIgAAwjsD.pngHolocaust denier about denying Holocaust.

Hey, he said he was sorry about that.To be honest his next tweet about the body count and victims is begging for trolling :lol:

Body count? But no body has died, let alone been murdered.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In the Holocaust, not GG.

In the Holocaust, not GG.

Oh, with the way some of these folks talk you figure some killing was going on.

Oh I can't be bothered to trawl through all that, i'm not that invested or pathetic. Besides anybody can see through all the blatant bias and agenda pushing in a quick glance over it.

Well, that doesn't sound very... I dunno, inquisitive?

Anybody else mind telling me if there's anything factually wrong with the stuff voiced in the article?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Anybody else mind telling me if there's anything factually wrong with the stuff voiced in the article?

By Biscuit Senpai himself:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/a-response-to-yts-senior-curator-re-gamergate

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I forget what the reason for stopping GamerGate is now though, should ask around for that.

That article is really painful for read for some reason, really hate that style, but is good enough wank material for some.

Some of her 'corrections' are just opinion, e.g. the bit about TB thinking ethics should be this and her retort of "no one else thinks so!", one can think what they like about something like ethical policies in "journalism". Likewise her part where she has somehow determined the intents of GamerGate and how it seeks to destroy progressive women (really it seems now to just engaging in arugments with SJWs :lol:).

The whole sarcastic ranting tone just makes me think of angry arts major, so it's work. Well written though.

"In response to a one-sided narrative by the media, proclaiming all those involved to be misogynist, disgusting white male sexists,

(This is a widely touted characterisation of the response but in reality is severely overblown. It is never supported by contextually applicable quotes. At best this is the way the media has characterised the probable harassers, who nobody needs to be offended on behalf of"

This one she is pretty wrong about, she needs to spend some more time in the anti-camps, heh.

"Here TB callously ignores that this campaign has already driven at least two very prominent feminist voices out of Games writing: Jenn Frank and Mattie Brice. Not to mention people like Samantha Allen who were targets of these same people before they had a new face and a new shiny name and a new batch of misguided people to shield them, or the countless people who have been dissuaded from ever joining the industry after watching this disgraceful display [Those contained within the Those Who Left folders on Zoe and Brianna’s desktops]. TB either doesn’t understand or doesn’t care just how bad the past three months have been to watch or experience for most women, other marginalised groups, or hell anyone with a shred of goddamn empathy in their souls. How “Successful” do you need a campaign to remove prominent female voices to be before you consider it evidence of its true purpose? This section belies a deeper insight into TB’s priorities in this situation. His primary care is not for the tangible, real, horrifying human impact of the past few months. His primary care seems to be how this malformed little crusade is perceived. “GamerGate Moderates are being Marginalised!” is 90% of his takeaway from this entire situation)"

I really am not seeing his callous ignoring of the victims. Were Frank and Brice significant in the industry ? And Wu or Quinn with a list (I like the title 'Those Who Left', pulls at the heartstrings) is really credible, heh.

Samantha Allen is an admitted Misandrist, so the loss of her voice is not a sad thing.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

By Biscuit Senpai himself:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/a-response-to-yts-senior-curator-re-gamergate

And here's the transcript for dirty foreigners like myself who have trouble understanding spoken text.

I forget what the reason for stopping GamerGate is now though, should ask around for that.

If Ganergate doesn't end by 2014, that stopgamergate2014 will look really stupid?

Speaking of Cheong, https://archive.today/xQflj

So Total Biscuit tried to take credit for Grayson's "expose" on Shadow of Mordor...when Grayson's article uses TB as a source, who had revealed that 10 days before. I knew TB was based, but I didn't know he could time travel.

• Like 1

Samantha Allen is an admitted Misandrist, so the loss of her voice is not a sad thing.

Interesting that he mentions her in a sympathetic manner. Some quotes:

i’m a misandrist. that means i hate men. i’m not a cute misandrist. i don’t have a fridge magnet that says, “boys are stupid, throw rocks at them.” my loathing cannot be contained by a fridge magnet.

i am not an equality feminist. i don’t believe that an asymmetrical world will be cured by polite obsequence to male-dominated systems. i am not a liberal humanist. i don’t believe that i need to stand up for men when they’ve been standing on top of everyone else.

misandry is not a political program; it’s a stance. i don’t care whether hating men is a good or bad feminist strategy (and i care even less what men think about misandry). i don’t think i have a responsibility to change the world. i think i have a responsibility to survive.

i am friends with some men, yes. usually these are men who have some experience of marginalization (whether via their race, class, gender identity, sexual identity, what have you) or who have gone through the self-interrogation and relational deprogramming necessary to build meaningful community with women. you don’t just get to read a book and you’re golden. you have to get ****ing baptized in menstrual blood as far as i’m concerned.

The second quote says it all. Apparently she had a twitter account, but it has been deleted. I wonder what kinds of threats someone attracts with that kind of language.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not making a literally who statement here, but I'm actually asking literally, who? Who is Samantha Allen? I have absolutely no idea who she is or why she keeps being brought up in regards to #GamerGate. Brianna Wu said #GamerGate chased her off, but as far as I can tell she left way back in June.

I had no idea who she either before Wu mentioning her as friend driven from the industry by gamergate. The quotes are from a pulled article at Polygon, which means she was a columnist i guess. She hasn't made any games that i know of.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

She was a columnist indeed, and as far as I can tell she criticized Giant Bomb when they hired two men saying that they should have hired women, and was subsequently ridiculed en masse by Giant Bomb readers and couldn't take it, so she left. Correct me if I'm wrong.

^I have no info about that, sorry.

Thunderf00t compares how he treated Michelle Malkin and Sarah Palin compared to Anita Sarkeesian

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

• Like 2