Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Oh, and something something "ethics in game journalism".

While it's about ethics in game journalism; the unethical journalists in this case are SJWs. Not to mention that SJWs tend to slander gamergate; a lot. So it shouldn't be hard to understand why people pro-gamergate often talk of SJWs as "the enemy", but SJWs are not actually the target as much as these unethical journalists who just happen to be SJWs.

"Ethics" and "Game Journalism" was an oxymoron in 1984. Nothing has changed.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This was worth a snicker

y4yGk5m.png

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, Brianna Wu's gender or sexuality doesn't concern or interest me one bit, I don't really see how it's relevant.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm going to agree with this from that same thread, Lexx:

"What part ofr Literally Wu? Do you guys not understand

This is unacceptable. This needs to stop. Ignore this information. Do not spread it. Throw it away. Ignore it.

GamerGate does not need or want this. Who gives a **** about Wu's previous life. She's not GamerGate. You're gonna make it about her more/again."

• Like 7

I think I'm just going to start ignoring the Mojo Jojos completely. Don't see how they are relevant to gaming really.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Eh. I've never really cared about Brianna Wu. 

The fact of the matter you should. When the most targeted female victim of gamergate is a man, it just means that patriarchy wins no matter what happens.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The fact of the matter you should. When the most targeted female victim of gamergate is a man, it just means that patriarchy wins no matter what happens.

What do mean? Brianna Wu was never a victim of gamergate, nor is she a journalist; thus she doesn't matter to me.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well, going by that, then everyone shoud have ignored all this stuff already 2 months ago.

Only if you buy into this nonsense about GamerGate being about misogyny. I believe that back when this was only about Zoe Quinn that I made my position on her as "someone who doesn't matter" quite clear. She's not the problem. Wu's not the problem. Sarkeesian isn't the problem.

Either way, trans-shaming, no matter how much of an unlikeable, dumb attention starved freak they've been, is not cool man.

• Like 2

The important part of that thing is that she's allegedly behaved like an extremely insane person before taking on a new identity, it probably sucks having large amounts of personal stuff dragged out from the past and shown to the world. I do believe she deserved being outed, but I'm also a firm believer that an eye for an eye is just, with her going around making a big deal out of gender whilst the people she's fighting are generally saying what matters is the content of your character, not the content of your underwear. Nonetheless just because something is just doesn't mean it isn't cruel, and justice is a worthless hollow principle created to mask sadistic desires.

No, that's not an important thing. It cannot be important how she acted before this because she is not important in this. She may be irritating but she has nothing to do with GamerGate. GamerGate should be focusing on biased and corrupt journalism, not witch-hunting opponents. Nothing Brianna has done has impacted me or anyone else, it's just a lot of empty posturing.

• Like 3

For the record I don't condone it, was merely saying that there was more to it than just trans shaming, well honestly, I wasn't, for a brief moment before reflecting on it I was to focused on "Person I dislike who's on the other side of a heated debate and is sort of an ass got their credibility thrown into the mud." and the irony of the whole thing to see the obvious; what matters isn't whether you've been wearing a straight jacket, what matters isn't even whether you're insane, the opponents body and general character is irrelevant to a debate, his argument is the only thing that should be taken into account.

However, gamergate isn't just one goal, it's a million different people with different ideas trying to achieve stuff, some want ethics and forgive and forget, some want ethics and the heads of the guilty, some want patriarchal oppression and enslavement of women (a very small minority, but let's be honest, in a big enough crowd there will always be someone horrible), some want ethics and the people they feel are spreading lies about them punished or at least stopped. Everyone there will be doing different stuff, whilst your kinda gamergater has no sensible reason to waste time on this the last kind listed does, the same way the one who want patriarchal oppression has reason to waste time staging third world military coups and running shadow governments. Essentially this portion of the post is me saying TrueNeutral, your goals aren't the only goals of people who call themselves gamergaters, they're probably some of the most sensible and shared ones though.

Well, going by that, then everyone shoud have ignored all this stuff already 2 months ago.

Only if you buy into this nonsense about GamerGate being about misogyny. I believe that back when this was only about Zoe Quinn that I made my position on her as "someone who doesn't matter" quite clear. She's not the problem. Wu's not the problem. Sarkeesian isn't the problem.

Well, I don't buy into this "GG is about misogyny" stuff, but I also find the other side hilarious. Both sides make it easy to lol about them, especially because both sides can very easily be manipulated by generic internet trolls. People are trying so hard to argue in a serious manner with trolls, it's almost as if everyone is new to the internet.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

For the record I don't condone it, was merely saying that there was more to it than just trans shaming, well honestly, I wasn't, for a brief moment before reflecting on it I was to focused on "Person I dislike who's on the other side of a heated debate and is sort of an ass got their credibility thrown into the mud." and the irony of the whole thing to see the obvious; what matters isn't whether you've been wearing a straight jacket, what matters isn't even whether you're insane, the opponents body and general character is irrelevant to a debate, his argument is the only thing that should be taken into account.

However, gamergate isn't just one goal, it's a million different people with different ideas trying to achieve stuff, some want ethics and forgive and forget, some want ethics and the heads of the guilty, some want patriarchal oppression and enslavement of women (a very small minority, but let's be honest, in a big enough crowd there will always be someone horrible), some want ethics and the people they feel are spreading lies about them punished or at least stopped. Everyone there will be doing different stuff, whilst your kinda gamergater has no sensible reason to waste time on this the last kind listed does, the same way the one who want patriarchal oppression has reason to waste time staging third world military coups and running shadow governments. Essentially this portion of the post is me saying TrueNeutral, your goals aren't the only goals of people who call themselves gamergaters, they're probably some of the most sensible and shared ones though.

The sites that have been boycotted are all game journalism sites; so if there are any misogynist in gamergate they are wasting their time. Especially when we raised awareness and money for a feminist group trying to help women get into the industry. Gamergate is about gaming journalism; not anything else. The proof is in the boycotted sites, and the causes we raise money for.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

And this is why hegemonic agenda pushing across major gaming sites would be bad.

Vr53BoE.png

http://gamergate.community/showthread.php?tid=692

This is why I'm in it. Also, this: http://anonymousdeveloper.tumblr.com/

I posted that one before, but I referenced it a few times after that and couldn't find the link so I could source it, so I should add it again.

• Like 1

What do mean? Brianna Wu was never a victim of gamergate, nor is she a journalist; thus she doesn't matter to me.

I thougth that my joke was obvious :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I thougth that my joke was obvious :(

Won't let any untrue claim that gamergate has harassed some one stand; joke or not.

@TN - I missed that article the first time around, and it pisses me off. That game could have been a Shindler's List for video games. More devs need to go outside the comfort zone, but with the media being so schizophrenic about subject matter it is impossible. It is truly sad for the industry when the media claiming it wants more diversity can be so ambivalent to developers trying to bring it to the forefront.

@TN - I missed that article the first time around, and it pisses me off. That game could have been a Shindler's List for video games. More devs need to go outside the comfort zone, but with the media being so schizophrenic about subject matter it is impossible. It is truly sad for the industry when the media claiming it wants more diversity can be so ambivalent to developers trying to bring it to the forefront.

If the claims are true, so far they remain unconfirmed.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And this is why hegemonic agenda pushing across major gaming sites would be bad.

Vr53BoE.png

Wow, that's some pretty overdeveloped victim complex there.

"No, no, no, you don't understand! Feminist analysis on games shouldn't be a thing, they might call me bad names!"

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."