Sensuki's Suggestions #028: Backer Beta Version Review v333 bb

Sensuki

Here is my Backer Beta Version Review for v333bb. For this version review I changed the format and the order of elements in the video. I start out with positive features of v333bb and showcase most of them in the video. Then I move onto controversial and detrimental changes. I had to make two videos due to a menu bug.

In the video I say I was going to do a section on Main Issues and Suggestions, but after some consideration I think I will change the way I do my version reviews and no longer provide a summary or detailed lists of issues with the game, and instead just focus on the version review. I will release periodic videos that showcase all the current major and minor issues with each area of the game separately from now on, and hopefully create those videos from short clips of each issue and then do a voice over narration or something. That way they will be shorter and more concise.

I wanted to get this version review out early because the next patch is only a week away.

Previous Suggestions:

Combat Idle Animations into Recovery Time Animations

XP Rewards

Version Review v301 bb

Recovery time should not pause while moving

Revamped Character Creation

Show Derived Stats during CC

Talents and Feats

Inventory Mockup v2

Desynchronized Character Movement

Version Review v278 bb

Cultural Gear Selection

Navmesh for AoE Targeting

Animations & Model Collision

Inventory Mockup

Dyrford Crossing Area Design

Main HUD Mockup

Beta Version Review v257 bb

Fog of War

Inventory & Item Tooltips

Combat Feedback Comparison 

Re-wrote CC Class Ability Descriptions

Item Descriptions and Contextual UI Rant

Area Map Functions 

Main UI Tooltip Stuff 

Selection Circles and Targeting

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 10

I wanted to get this version review out early because the next patch is only a week away.

I am looking forward to seeing what feedback they took too, possibly anticipating it more than any previous update.

• Like 1

I don't think we'll actually be seeing much in the next patch. Obsidian said they're taking the time off to play the game this week (good idea) and then focusing on bug fixing - so I'm guessing the next patch will focus on bug fixes.

I think they should make the devs play an Infinity Engine game for a few days too tbh ;) BG2 or something.

• Like 6

Part 1 - around 17:30. You can see a guy walking in the lower right corner of the screen and his shadow doesn't start at his feet as if he were levitating very slightly above the ground.

Part 1 - 18:10. Messages in combat log start overlapping each other. From this point onward the log is barely legible.

---

This is still Backer Late Alpha. I hope we'll see Backer Beta this year because the clock is ticking and I'm sure no-one is looking forward towards another bug-ridden KS release like D:OS or WL2.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 2

I don't think we'll actually be seeing much in the next patch. Obsidian said they're taking the time off to play the game this week (good idea) and then focusing on bug fixing - so I'm guessing the next patch will focus on bug fixes.

I think they should make the devs play an Infinity Engine game for a few days too tbh ;) BG2 or something.

:p :P :p :P :p

I would rather they play their competition like Divinity Original Sin or Dragon Age Inquisition in a couple weeks.  Or maybe something totally unrelated to free up their minds, give a fresh perspective. 

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

What's with the pixelated redhead and the bro?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

RPGCodex avatar, and the 'bro' is me dressed up as a wigger from a couple years ago, because stuff using a serious photo.

Some people on the Codex made me some youtube thumbnail - this one was funny, but a bit over the top

yv8ou0z.jpg

tqUYb5Y.jpg

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Good video. Thanks for uploading.

Your video allows me to see how wildly varied your gaming experience and mine are: none of the glossary things that you mentioned worked correctly for me.

1- The first thing I noticed was that the green selection circle is completely camoflaged by the grass: can we go a little more neon in the green tint for the enemies?

2- The mouse-over reticle disappearing is not a bug. If you mouse-over the enemy, it will show you who the enemy is targeting. Since the enemy is idle and not targeting anyone (including himself) then it becomes solid. If you mouse-over anyone or select them, it shows who they've targeted. It's not a bug and is working correctly.

More comments to come shortly.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Obsidian decided to use really light grass colors tinted with baked lighting - you will notice that BG1 in particular ALWAYS uses dark green for grass because it contrasts better with the selection circles.

I think Obsidian planned to only use blue selection circles, but some of us complained non-stop until they added green ones in too emo-emot-smug.gif

Wrong

What I mean is that it's working as it's intended here in Pillars of Eternity. It's not exactly like the IE version, you're right.

In this version it seems that mouse-over overrides selection status. That is so to say that if you mouse-over an enemy, that takes precedence for showing who's attacking who over your having selected your ally. It's more of a preference than it being a bug. IE took selection as its preference for showing who's attacking who.

Of course, this is up for debate and you can get into confusing cases (multiple people selected, how do you show who's attacking who? are all the targeting reticles active now?)

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

You should switch up to the Pallegina version Sensuki, much easier on the eyes :p

Or if you want I can make you something that actually looks serious/semi pro, but I am like super boring with my cover pics.

Edited by Karkarov

Part 1 - around 17:30. You can see a guy walking in the lower right corner of the screen and his shadow doesn't start at his feet as if he were levitating very slightly above the ground.

Part 1 - 18:10. Messages in combat log start overlapping each other. From this point onward the log is barely legible.

---

This is still Backer Late Alpha. I hope we'll see Backer Beta this year because the clock is ticking and I'm sure no-one is looking forward towards another bug-ridden KS release like D:OS or WL2.

:p

I guess I don t need to remind anyone that the BB is just a slice of the actual game- imagine the ****load of bugs that exists in the full version, and will not get addressed until AFTER release.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

---

:p

I guess I don t need to remind anyone that the BB is just a slice of the actual game- imagine the ****load of bugs that exists in the full version, and will not get addressed until AFTER release.

You're making me anxious.

I think there are some ways for them to extrapolate from the B.B reports to patch the full game. 

In all fairness, look at how many bugs are mechanic related. Like problems with saving, or problems with thing A happening after thing B has happened, etc. If you fix a save problem, for instance, you don't have to scour the game for all other instances of save-able places that could have problems, because the problem was with the function itself, and not the situation.

That being said, yeah, there are probably a lot of bug-prone things throughout the whole game. But, we can't really say just yet whether or not they'll internally squash a lot of those. It's pretty much pure speculation at this point.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u