Why can't we have a "normal" beta?

I just want to explore the areas and quests through lvls 1-5. 

I feel nothing for this side quest area. Even though it is beautifully done!

instant lvl 8 is way to much info for me to process. On top of that, we have a full generic party, with no connection to or whatsoever. 

What makes this game is missing in the beta. Playing the game as it should be, from lvl 1, meeting new characters along the way.

I know some ppl don't want spoilers, but can't we have both options available?

Some people paid more in order to play the beta; pretty weird that it's only to test stuff and not enjoy oneself, so I can understand the bitter feeling. Not sure this was written on the tin! Or maybe there was some hidden small print somewhere?

It'll probably get better in time though, so you may get some value in the future. Meanwhile you can rationalize by thinking that you paid for the privilege to possibly bring some of your beta feedback/suggestions/ideas into the final game.

Edited by Rumsteak

Presumably level 8 and that area give you a representative sample of the things that they would like to have tested, so that doesn't seem odd to me. Higher levels generally have the same abilities as lower levels, after all, as well as others.

Some people paid more in order to play the beta; pretty weird that it's only to test stuff and not enjoy oneself, so I can understand the bitter feeling. Not sure this was written on the tin! Or maybe there was some hidden small print somewhere?

I don't believe that it was specifically stated as such, aside from the fact that it is a beta rather than a demo, which at least to me would imply that its purpose is indeed for testing things.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Yeah that s really good on their part.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

You can already do that by buying a level 1 character from the inn and level them up.

instant lvl 8 is way to much info for me to process. On top of that, we have a full generic party, with no connection to or whatsoever. 

I guess BG2 was too much for you. BG2 started at around level 8 and your starting party was a melee character, priest and thief/mage. Very similar to the PoE beta.

You can already do that by buying a level 1 character from the inn and level them up.

I guess BG2 was too much for you. BG2 started at around level 8 and your starting party was a melee character, priest and thief/mage. Very similar to the PoE beta.

Except I played and completed the first BG game. I knew all of the characters you started with in BG2.

Plus, if this is just to play and test the combat side of things. I mean, the combat feels more alive in the old IE games. My characters here seem more like machines than alive human beings.

Edited by Midol
  • Like 2

Plus, if this is just to play and test the combat side of things. I mean, the combat feels more alive in the old IE games. My characters here seem more like machines than alive human beings.

hence the need for testing, community feedback and improvement

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

hence the need for testing, community feedback and improvement

He's not talking about the mechanics and actual gameplay feel. He's talking about the "feel" induced by the fact that he doesn't know who his characters are.

For that reason, I think Obsidian should seriously consider releasing a demo of the game's first area (the one we saw in the game's big media blitz back in July) at some point.

• Like 1

Except I played and completed the first BG game. I knew all of the characters you started with in BG2.

That, and we know that PoE doesn't start at level 8.

I admit that I'm glad we won't be spoiled on the story and whatnot. BUT, at the same time, it's a bit difficult to test "the game" when you're just thrown into the middle. So, *shrug*. There's good and bad to both approaches.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

That, and we know that PoE doesn't start at level 8.

I admit that I'm glad we won't be spoiled on the story and whatnot. BUT, at the same time, it's a bit difficult to test "the game" when you're just thrown into the middle. So, *shrug*. There's good and bad to both approaches.

A lot of people played BG2 first and not BG1 and they were able to play the game. As I said, you can create level 1 party members from the inn and level them up. Not difficult at all.

That's great, but did a lot of people play BG1 and just start at level 8? Also, I'm not doubting the ability to play a game when starting at level 8, in either situation. I know people aren't just going to keel over and become incapable of playing, and the game isn't going to crash.

Just, referencing BG2 doesn't really address the idea that was brought up, which is starting with a level 8 character in a game that doesn't start with level 8 characters.

And yes, you can level up peeps from the inn. That is true. The process of leveling up inn-people isn't difficult. Noted.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

That's great, but did a lot of people play BG1 and just start at level 8? Also, I'm not doubting the ability to play a game when starting at level 8, in either situation. I know people aren't just going to keel over and become incapable of playing, and the game isn't going to crash.

Just, referencing BG2 doesn't really address the idea that was brought up, which is starting with a level 8 character in a game that doesn't start with level 8 characters.

And yes, you can level up peeps from the inn. That is true. The process of leveling up inn-people isn't difficult. Noted.

Oh, I thought a lot of people who backed PoE also played the IE games. We're talking experienced gamers here. Or has the years of consoles, quest markers, interactive movies and QTE's made gamers forget how to work this stuff out. I forgot, Obsidian should have started this at level 1 for all these people because it's all too hard to start at level 5 and work out all these abilities. Looks like some gamers these days need to have their hand held. Shame on Obsidian for not starting us at level 1. Tsk tsk Obsidian.

• Like 2

He has a bit of a point though. Any plot holes or dialogue/quest bugs/problems with character story progression won't be caught this way, it's all systems testing.

But then again by the time the game is released we'd all be sick of replaying the first part surely. I know I can't stand playing Irenicus' dungeon ever again (thank you modders for Dungeon Be Gone!). 

Oh, I thought a lot of people who backed PoE also played the IE games. We're talking experienced gamers here. Or has the years of consoles, quest markers, interactive movies and QTE's made gamers forget how to work this stuff out. I forgot, Obsidian should have started this at level 1 for all these people because it's all too hard to start at level 5 and work out all these abilities. Looks like some gamers these days need to have their hand held. Shame on Obsidian for not starting us at level 1. Tsk tsk Obsidian.

*Hiro Protagonist II tries to strike the point... but misses!*

Just... don't even worry about it. It's really not worth it. Just pretend no one ever said anything, and enjoy life.

• Like 1

*Hiro Protagonist II tries to strike the point... but misses!*

Just... don't even worry about it. It's really not worth it. Just pretend no one ever said anything, and enjoy life.

Lephys always misses the point. If only you could take your own advice.

He has a bit of a point though. Any plot holes or dialogue/quest bugs/problems with character story progression won't be caught this way, it's all systems testing.

But then again by the time the game is released we'd all be sick of replaying the first part surely. I know I can't stand playing Irenicus' dungeon ever again (thank you modders for Dungeon Be Gone!). 

Oh, so we need to test plot holes in the dialogue and story from level 1? LOL.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I blame the industry, AND people, for just not caring what something actually is as long as someone uses it differently enough times. Like DLC. "Ohhh, it's just some added-on thing as an afterthought to get more money now!" No, that's what it could be, and what we should be wary of. Yet, people now often shun the very idea of additional digital content. 8P

I generally prefer not to play Betas. They kinda tend to ruin my enjoyment of the game, not because of spoilers, but because of remembering how frustrating things were until fixes were put in place.

Still, I played Divinity Original sin's beta, and it's given me the impression that there's not quite such a thing as a 'normal' beta. Things changed a lot in Divinity Original sin between Beta builds, and gave very little clue as to the plot as a result.

• Like 1

Well, if you want a "normal" beta you probably couldn't boot it up right now... since even the "backer beta" is a long-term away from actual "beta" status.

But yes, Flow is severly correct in stating that "beta" seems to be demoted to "demo" to the generic gamerpublic. Even "Alpha" isn't save... I played Prison Architect briefly and altough confusing as **** (I didn't really get into it) it's pretty far away from technical Alpha-status.

Guess that's the modern time with Steam Early Access and just pasting random titles on something. Then again gamers have been abusing it a long time with many a forum holding topics like "How could they release this as full game. It's more like a beta. Look at that small clipping issue no-one gives a damn about. Yeah, I can't believe developers let that huge gamebreaking issue slip through their QA"... can't help but feel ashamed of my fellow gamers each time such a thread pops up...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, if you want a "normal" beta you probably couldn't boot it up right now... since even the "backer beta" is a long-term away from actual "beta" status.

But yes, Flow is severly correct in stating that "beta" seems to be demoted to "demo" to the generic gamerpublic. Even "Alpha" isn't save... I played Prison Architect briefly and altough confusing as **** (I didn't really get into it) it's pretty far away from technical Alpha-status.

Guess that's the modern time with Steam Early Access and just pasting random titles on something. Then again gamers have been abusing it a long time with many a forum holding topics like "How could they release this as full game. It's more like a beta. Look at that small clipping issue no-one gives a damn about. Yeah, I can't believe developers let that huge gamebreaking issue slip through their QA"... can't help but feel ashamed of my fellow gamers each time such a thread pops up...

feels more like an alpha, right? it's more like a mechanics playground, atm, and I've not seen the most exotic ones :p

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_