Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Proposition for Improving Combat Interface Feedback

combat interface

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Right well anyway, I did a full playthrough of IWD recently and I didn't need actions over portraits :p

I won't play the Enhanced Editions because I don't find them to be "Enhanced" at all. 

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 06:57 AM.

• Heinrich Bhaal, forgottenlor and Gairnulf like this

Gairnulf

Gairnulf

Cynical Master Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I agree that if we didn't need halos over characters in the old games, we can get by without them now just as well. But I'm not completely convinced they aren't an improvement.

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Imo camera angle has to change.

Again?

YES it was perhaps a bad design decision to start with, but for reasons stated 100s of times in other threads, it's not one that can be reversed this far into development.  

You can get back to lobbying for lower camera angles when the expansion/sequel is announced. :p

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I agree that if we didn't need halos over characters in the old games, we can get by without them now just as well. But I'm not completely convinced they aren't an improvement.

I didn't say they weren't an improvement. I said that the lack of different animations was a bad design decision. Personally I find them superfluous but I can understand why other people like them.

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 07:18 AM.

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Here's an example

Cs1KJdp.jpg

+1

Also:

- Selection circles are too thin

- Some circles are masked by shadows

- Character silhouettes are not clearly outlined

- And what the heck is that brownish 'shadow on the ground below the female character? Is that blood? Urgh.

Edited by Quantics, 02 November 2014 - 07:29 AM.

• prodigydancer likes this

Gairnulf

Gairnulf

Cynical Master Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I thought they were going to add more animations for the final release, or am I wrong? I like when the animations hook into slashes, blocks and ripostes, like in DAO, NWN, but this has its own complications.

• Karkarov likes this

prodigydancer

prodigydancer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 435 posts

- Some circles are make by shadows

- Character silhouettes are not clearly outlined

- And what the heck is that brownish 'shadow on the ground below the female character? Is that blood? Urgh.

Selection circles are thin but they'd be visible if nothing (except character models) could interfere with them. In Sensuki's screenshot it's clearly visible that blood partially obsures selection circles. That's bad. IMO nothing, not even spell VFX, should do that.

Characters blending with environments too much is a known issue (I wonder if they'll be able to fix it completely). And yes, blood should be more red.

Edited by prodigydancer, 02 November 2014 - 07:38 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Also:

Selection circles are not too thin, they've made them thinner twice actually and they're now fine. That blood shouldn't be obscuring the circles I don't think, because it's supposed to be on the ground (under the character).

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 07:36 AM.

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Selection circles are not too thin, they've made them thinner twice actually and they're now fine. That blood shouldn't be obscuring the circles I don't think, because it's supposed to be on the ground (under the character).

Actually in your screenshot the light green and red ones are fine. The two dark green ones are too thin IMO (or too dark :) ).

Edited by Quantics, 02 November 2014 - 07:38 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Remember that JPEG screenshots also distort the image, they are clearer in the video. They could possibly be a bit dark I'd have to compare them against the IE games.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Remember that JPEG screenshots also distort the image, they are clearer in the video. They could possibly be a bit dark I'd have to compare them against the IE games.

In my experience the IE games had much darker backgrounds in general, and since there was no dithering grass to help obscure the circles even more...  That said I have found tons of places in the recent IWD:EE where the circles are near impossible to see due to the snow.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah I have mentioned that before as well. The floors in IE games were most of the time usually pretty dark, and grass was pretty much always dark green, because it contrasts better with characters/selection circles, particularly green ones. Obsidian have ignored this and done grass with has baked sunlight on top of it as well.

I have never had an issue seeing selection circles in IWD, but I play IWD on a CRT monitor which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better contrast and color depth than pretty much all LCD screens ever :p
  • Seari likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I have never had an issue seeing selection circles in IWD, but I play IWD on a CRT monitor which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better contrast and color depth than pretty much all LCD screens ever :p

:p Right back at you!

Seriously try looking at a light gray circle on bright white snow, or even a crazy bright green circle.  It isn't easy.  And the reason your CRT has better contrast is because it has less color depth and larger pixels.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Do you have a TN panel ? Since they are only 6-bit, they can only re-produce ~262,000 colors accurately, and dither the rest.
Most IPS/VA panels are either 8-bit or 10-bit so they can do 16.7 Million+ natural colors.

IPS and VA panels with better contrast ratios don't suffer as much from those problems. TN panels also can't do several bright colors properly (such as orange/red).

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 08:05 AM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do you have a TN panel ? Since they are only 6-bit, they can only re-produce ~262,000 colors accurately, and dither the rest.
Most IPS/VA panels are either 8-bit or 10-bit so they can do 16.7 Million+ natural colors.

IPS and VA panels with better contrast ratios don't suffer as much from those problems. TN panels also can't do several bright colors properly (such as orange/red).

Mine can do colors fine, it isn't a monitor problem.  I likely just have my saturation too high as I like that look.  SUE MEH  Outside of the white bright snow I have no issue with the circles, I can still see them even then, it is just hard.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ah right, I always try and tune my monitor to 2.2 Gamma / Natural colors.

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts

Right well anyway, I did a full playthrough of IWD recently and I didn't need actions over portraits :p

I won't play the Enhanced Editions because I don't find them to be "Enhanced" at all. 

You should for study sake. Too see how its UI was improved so you can see how that would work for PoE as well. 

Actions on portraits work extremely well once you get used to it. It makes reading combat much easier and faster.

• Karkarov likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't like those, and they have improved the stat displays in the inventory. However since pretty much everything else about the EE's are worse, I play the originals.

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't like those, and they have improved the stat displays in the inventory. However since pretty much everything else about the EE's are worse, I play the originals.

That's just not true dude, the EE's are fine and already incorporate most of the best mods.  They even add in tons of other improvements and enhancements.  I agree the UI upscaling sucks, but the UI itself is overall vastly better than the original UI's or most of the modders takes.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Reasons to not play BG1:EE - it was a bad EE overall, new UI is bad, it converts the game to the BG2 engine. BG1 had better avatars, and the game was balanced around the stock classes, weapon proficiencies and spells. Screws up the spawning system. Bunch of other minor reasons, but those are the main ones. Oh, new characters and mod are pointless/terrible.

Reasons to not play BG2:EE - I already have a perfectly good modded BG2. Do not want to spend $20 on something that I already have.

Reasons not to play IWD:EE - converts the game to BG2 engine, once again messes with balance/systems. Uses BG2 avatars, when 1PP mod for IWD1 ports back in the much better BG1/IWD1 avatars. UI is see through and not full screen.

Oh yeah, zooming in below source resolution on 2D art is retarded.

Edited by Sensuki, 02 November 2014 - 01:30 PM.

• Heinrich Bhaal likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combat, interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users