Update on the Update

BAdler

Look at him man, he just needs another fix man, don't leave him hanging like that man he's gonna die!

You know we're good for it, we've got something lined up man I swear, c'mon.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Adam Brennecke on twitter

no news right now. We have a lot of stuff on our plates at the moment, and will try to get another one out once things calm down.

umm thing's never calm down before a game ships, it only get's more bonkers hahaha. I bet they're kicking themselves now for all the long lunch breaks and slacker day's they took. Just kidding, I'm sure everyone worked real hard on this. Well almost everyone. There's still a few thing's that concern me after 2 and a half years at this point, but I've seen bigger miracles come together. :)

Nah, I'm sure they're gonna put one more out, but just how much it helps for day one update will be interesting to see. I do suspect the guy's reviewing the game's are either going to test on near final build, or will only have a few day's to play it and that will cause the review's to be delayed at launch I bet. It sounds like the main campaign is pushing over 40 hrs and that's with someone who knew what he was doing.

Every day is a new adventure in Obsidian's office. :lol:

shipping a game is an insane adventure.

Better you than me ;)

As a small-time web developer I know enough to know that a good game is one of the most complex projects imagineable. Especially if that good game has to be an RPG. I used to wish for being a game designer as a student, but now I'd settle for just playing :)

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

is shipping a new BB build also an adventure? You never know how many new bugs they'll find.

• Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

you have no idea original.gif

Maybe you'll roll a few twenties between now and release. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

f5... f5... f5... f5... f5...

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I kinda figured there wouldn't be another update ever since they 1) missed the initial projection like two weeks ago and 2) Josh Sawyer referred to the Backer Beta in past tense during the PAX stream =(

It's cool, hard to complain since it almost seems like another update would be a waste of limited pre-release time at this point. I'd like another backer beta round just because I'm selfish but I'm not sure it's something that's really needed. 

• Like 3

I'd like another backer beta so people can playtest things and give feedback on the (near) final systems and mechanics.

I know there'll be quest blockers, infinite conversations loops, broken feats/combat features, etc. like there are in every RPG ever (especially in the non-backer beta portions of the game). But everyone benefits when there's hundreds of playtesters trying to find bugs and annoyances with fresh eyes, instead of only 10 or so (or however many Obsidian has) that have played it so much that they forgot how it is to approach it from a fresh start.

This is how you catch things like the racial stat bonus meaning diddly squat in the current build. Why should I care that my dwarf has +2 might? I can remove 2 might and spend the points elsewhere. There's mechanically nothing different about a dwarf with +2 might, and any character with an additional 2 points to spend on stats. This is also how you catch the annoying of selecting culture after having assigned stats, because the stats assume the default culture, which has its own bonuses. And since you can always redistribute points, the culture bonus on stats is also meaningless.

So that's some things I hope the final game addresses. Because right now these are mostly empty and non-meaningful mechanics, with an annoying order in the character creation.