Update on the Update

BAdler

What about individual quick and auto slaves per character slot ?

auto-slaves lol ... auto saves.

How would that even work?

PoE has a system for saves where they are sorted based on what character you saved with, so if I have a character named Eldoth, all his saves get sorted under "Eldoth", while a character named "Safana" will be sorted under "Safana".

Currently, this works for everything except Quicksaves and Autosaves. This means that if you play one character, auto-save and quicksave, switch over to another, when that other character quicksaves and autosaves, the first character's saves will effectively be lost.

The solution is for every listed character to have their own dedicated Quicksave and Autosave slot. In fact, it's a bloody necessity, imo.

• Like 10

t50aJUd.jpg

What Luckmann is describing is excellent, and it's also how Dragon Age Inquisition does it.  That way if you roll up a new character that new character's quick-save doesn't accidentally over write the quick-save you had been using with your main game, for instance.  It's awesome and every RPG should use it going forward, including PoE.

Yeah, auto save already is shared with every character, so might as well make quick save independent. Would be making gaming history , showing others what to do and how to do it.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I watched some of the PoE stream on Twitch.tv.  It was interesting but I was very disappointed with the voice overs.  I hope this is not the final set of voices for the game.  The use of the standard USA accent is at best boring and the "acting" for the female voices was shall I say , lackluster.  No individuality, little real acting.  Finding decent VAers should not be hard.  I have friends who do it for fun and for free for modders.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I watched some of the PoE stream on Twitch.tv.  It was interesting but I was very disappointed with the voice overs.  I hope this is not the final set of voices for the game.  The use of the standard USA accent is at best boring and the "acting" for the female voices was shall I say , lackluster.  No individuality, little real acting.  Finding decent VAers should not be hard.  I have friends who do it for fun and for free for modders.  

I really liked the VA. In fact I'd say it, along with the background art, are perfect. In particular I really dug Sagani's voice which, iirc, was pretty much the only female voice in the stream! Mind you I do generally like lower key voice acting and I thought they did a great job of adding nuance without being hammy like the BG voices.

• Like 3

Off hand I don't have a female VA but here is one male USA voice I really like and I don't think he is at all hammy.  I like the singer also.

nakia_banner.jpg

Voice acting is not easy.    If you check out some of the profesional voice coaches you will see what I mean.  A good voice, even a great voice is not enough.   The character is having a conversation with the player and the trick is to get this across.   It needs to be clear, the enunciation clear but it needs to sound natural.  What the character is feeling, who the character is needs to come across and not every one can do that.  Acting ability is needed.  Most Voice talents have some acting training and experience.   

the standard USA English accent was developed by professional voice coaches for radio announcers and is not what ordinary people speak.  We all have an accent    

Do you speak American?

nakia_banner.jpg

Finding good voice-actors is actually pretty hard, but mostly it's expensive. I've yet to see a single "mod-level" voice-over that wasn't objectively terrible compared to commercial voice-actors.

That being said, I think that so far the voices in PoE (that I've seen) have been very meh. It doesn't even come close to the voice acting in Baldur's Gate/2. But it's almost impossible to beat people like Jeff Bennet (Xan) and David Warner (Irenicus).

I really hope we've just not seen the good stuff, but at this point, I find it doubtful that we'll see any spectacular voice-acting in PoE. Important names would probably already have been dropped here and there, but I haven't heard anything.

t50aJUd.jpg

I liked the party banter. Especially the pacing, with the pauses in between. I wonder if whoever wrote it is a fan of Kaurismäki films? That bit of dialog was very Kaurismäki. Laconic.

– Does your fox bite?

– Yes.

– Can I pet him?

– It's your hand.

– I'm gonna pet him.

– How's your hand?

– Turning purple. Might have to cut it off.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I liked the party banter. Especially the pacing, with the pauses in between. I wonder if whoever wrote it is a fan of Kaurismäki films? That bit of dialog was very Kaurismäki. Laconic.

– Does your fox bite?

– Yes.

– Can I pet him?

– It's your hand.

– I'm gonna pet him.

– How's your hand?

– Turning purple. Might have to cut it off.

I loved this little interaction, however the pauses were a bit too long in my opinion. I almost wandered if they had forgot to reply.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there is or will be a way to disable the voice acting during conversations? I know that a lot of the conversations will not be voiced, but there are the ones that have the initial lines spoken and I think it would be a good option to disable them for those of us who simply do not want them voiced.

Although I would still prefer the ambient dialogs (party banter) to remained voiced just because it makes it easier to keep playing the game without having to stop for a few seconds to read the banter.

A good voice talent can make a character come to life, make it stick in your mind long after the game has been played and even make you return to savor the play once again.

Enzio in the Assassins Creed is a fun character in his own right.   He is so beyound reality, a supernatural being yet still believable in the game setting.  Yet it is his voice I like to return to, the dialogue was well written but it was Roger Craig Smith that made the character come to life.

I know OE can't afford Roger C Smith but I still hope for some hidden gems, a voice talent waiting to be discovered. :)  If I don't like the Vaing or get bored with it and there is no option to disable it I will see if I can remove the vocal files, if I can't well hopefully there are those who can and will.

Voice overs are important to me, very important.

nakia_banner.jpg

A good voice talent can make a character come to life, make it stick in your mind long after the game has been played and even make you return to savor the play once again.

Enzio in the Assassins Creed is a fun character in his own right.   He is so beyound reality, a supernatural being yet still believable in the game setting.  Yet it is his voice I like to return to, the dialogue was well written but it was Roger Craig Smith that made the character come to life.

I know OE can't afford Roger C Smith but I still hope for some hidden gems, a voice talent waiting to be discovered. :)  If I don't like the Vaing or get bored with it and there is no option to disable it I will see if I can remove the vocal files, if I can't well hopefully there are those who can and will.

Voice overs are important to me, very important.

Roger C Smith ain't got nothin' on David Warner and Jeff Bennet. :p

t50aJUd.jpg