POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

To bad you didn't enjoy it Sensuki. Have been following your comments somewhat since I believe you from times to times made sense to me. I myself haven't played through the game because of how the beta turned out, and I assume the full game is very close to the beta in terms of mechanics.

Can we dream about change companion appearance? 

Yes, it would be so great if we could change the companion NPCs' appearance. Everything else is moddable (talents, abilities, skills, attributes, portraits) but not the appearance. 

The awesome OpenCharacterCreation and ModelViewer commands unfortunately works only on the protagonist. If only it were possible to make it work on companions as well...

P.S. Such a pity that Bester's leaving the IEMod project. It's been incredibly useful.

Edited by Lord Vicious

Hear that Obsidian? It looks like people really like a lot of the features in this mod, and not many go against the design goals of the game. I wonder what they'll do...

>_>

Lul that was a pretty bare bones article though.  Thanks Sensuki for your comments in the articles comments?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 1

@Bester: Do you have anything like an ETA on an IEMod update for the current hotfix?

I don't want to be pushy, it's just ... I am starting to find the game unplayable when NPCs are surrounded by green circles. It grates at me in a way I can't explain.

(Yes, that's insane.)

It's not insane at all. I can't play without the IEMod anymore either. I've already decided to not play until 1.04 and the IEMod update for it has both come out. The IEMod just has features that never should've been left out of the main game. The fact that it fixes the ridiculous movement recovery speed penalty is just gravy.

I maintain that the decision to make Allies and Neutral characters have the same circle colours is the single dumbest decision in the game. A lot of things can be chalked up to constraints, other things can be explained by mechanics interacting in a way they simply didn't foresaw, and yet more issues can be considered questionable judgement or personal taste.

But this one thing is just the dumbest **** ever and is indefensible.

Seriously people ?

(and movement recovery penalty is very realistic and another good choice for me)

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Sen, are you really done with this game ?

Meaning , dont want to play it because it sux or whatever ?

Yeah I didn't really enjoy it. Combat/encounters are boring, exploration and itemization sucks and I was really disappointed with the story/writing too :(

....?

Like, really ?

Your experience with the backer beta did not give you any idea of the kind of game to expect ?

I play on hard, encounters are thrilling, companions are not awesome for NOT being perfect, the writing-atmosphere is mind-blowing, the story is great !

This game is a masterpiece, far better than the good old games (in which I have invested hundreds of hrs in a span of 10+ years) and people are complaining about blue circles and companion's stat.

Everyone's got their opinion, and you guys are the minority.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

No, not really - I could see plenty of systemic issues but I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and play the full game, especially if the BB content was supposed to be underwhelming (which it was, but it was also pretty representative of most of the game anyway).

The game has some good bits, but for the most part it's not as good as the IE games. I don't even like the writing that much really. Most of it is well written but it's so dry and full of lore dumps that I don't care about. The plot has issues in act 2 and I don't even remotely care about the story or the antagonist.

Probably the worst story in an Obsidian game since NWN2? Which is disappointing.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Sen, are you really done with this game ?

Meaning , dont want to play it because it sux or whatever ?

Yeah I didn't really enjoy it. Combat/encounters are boring, exploration and itemization sucks and I was really disappointed with the story/writing too :(

Given the amount of time and effort you'd invested in the game pre-release, wouldn't almost any game we could have gotten be a disappointment?

I mean, I just played through BG 1 before playing Pillars and in every respect this game blows it away -- and I'm including writing, encounter design, itemization, etc. Yes, BG 2 had some more sophisticated encounters, more layered writing, and more varied itemization, but the dev team for BG 2 also didn't have to develop an engine from scratch and could thus afford to put more man hours into those things.

I expect we'll see things like encounter design, itemization improvements, etc. in the expansions (just like the best part of New Vegas was in the expansions). Not because they're deliberately making us pay extra for the good stuff or anything but just because you have to cook the steak before you can make the gravy. This game is engine, framework, and setting exposition. It's designed to start a franchise. The things it doesn't have -- and whose absence you're citing as flaws -- are, for the most part, things that by design and necessity have to come later in the franchise.

Don't get me wrong the game has some significant flaws (wait, the only thing keeping me from Act III is literally the weather? How did some of these bugs make release?) but a lot of the criticism seems like it's holding this game to an impossibly high standard that neglects the realities of game development. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

I mean, I just played through BG 1 before playing Pillars and in every respect this game blows it away -- itemization, 

If you think PoE beats BG1 in regards itemization; well, you must be on crack.

Which boots in PoE are as cool and memorable as, "Paws of the Cheetah"?

Which Robes are as epic as, "Robe of the evil Magi"?

Which wand is as over the top epic as, "Wand of Monster Summoning"?

Which gloves in PoE compete with, "Gauntlets of Dexterity"?

The itemization in PoE is very bland compared to that.

• Like 5

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I mean, I just played through BG 1 before playing Pillars and in every respect this game blows it away -- itemization, 

If you think PoE beats BG1 in regards itemization; well, you must be on crack.

Which boots in PoE are as cool and memorable as, "Paws of the Cheetah"?

Which Robes are as epic as, "Robe of the evil Magi"?

Which wand is as over the top epic as, "Wand of Monster Summoning"?

Which gloves in PoE compete with, "Gauntlets of Dexterity"?

The itemization in PoE is very bland compared to that.

Hah, I *think* you're agreeing with me and actually being pretty damn funny but this being the interwebs I can never be 100% sure on sarcasm :p

What I like about PoE's itemization is that there are a number of items that have unique properties and due to the flexibilty of the enchanting system you can choose to build a whole character around something like Gaun's Share or Azureith's Stiletto. There's a *lot* of room to develop and expand it but with any luck at all there will be a lot of expansions!

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong the game has some significant flaws (wait, the only thing keeping me from Act III is literally the weather? How did some of these bugs make release?) but a lot of the criticism seems like it's holding this game to an impossibly high standard that neglects the realities of game development.

I don't think so. The reason I stopped playing it is I found the plot/story/writing to be a huge disappointment, I could not literally care less about the plot or the antagonist. The second is because combat is boring. I have stated why I think it's boring many times on the Codex.

However I will admit that a part of it is probably lack of ROI.

BG1 has very simple combat but at least the systems necessitate some reactions from the player. PE's combat is a trudge. Way, way worse than Icewind Dale and BG2 in particular and it's mostly because of the system design - not the encounter design.

Some of my more detailed thoughts:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/quickfire-systemic-criticism-that-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429/page-6#post-3857129

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/quickfire-systemic-criticism-that-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429/

There's a guy on Something Awful highlighting the same problems as me, though I forget his name. Think it start's with a V.

Edited by Sensuki