POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Enjoy it while you can guys, seems like Bester is done with the game as well.

Screen_Shot_2015_04_08_at_20_53_01.png

@Bester: Thanks a lot for all the work you've put into the mod. I (and a lot of others I'm sure) really appreciate it ! 

• Like 3

I'm going to be sad to see it go, but I can't say I'm surprised. The steam just sorta ran out once the game was released, for a lot of people, and I think it didn't live up to a lot of people's expectations, even if it's good, it's a far cry from "good enough".

Either way, I'll probably not play until the IEMod is updated by someone, or something better comes along. The fixes and features introduced by the IEMod are simply all too basic to pass up, whether it's removing the silly movement recovery penalty, fixing the neutral selection circles and make them a proper IE-like Cyan, or the entire modular - and beautiful - UI.

I could never even figure out how to change something as basic as the Attribute bonuses around. I wish it was easier to mod, but it really feels like you have to fight PoE tooth and nail to mod it.

Nevermind pirate download high-profile game development software just to take a look at things.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

^ Just untick the automatic updates on steam. 

That's what I'm going to do anyway. 

>Steam

oh_you.jpg

Seriously though, the patches will still be important to the game, and it's not worth passing on them. I'd rather just not play, if I have to choose between fixes to core gameplay and official improvements and fixes (...well... not that they always fix things.. *cough*memorial*cough*companionattributes*cough*) and the IEMod additions... I will really choose neither. It's just not worth the aggravation.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm with Luckmann on this one. If I have to choose between patches and IE mod, I'll give up on PoE altogether. It would be a shame, though, for O really like it.

But yeah--IE mod is too basic to pass. Can't enjoy the game without.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well, we know that at least some of the devs are aware of this thread. Maybe we'll get really, really lucky and they'll include an option to change NPC circle colors.

(No they won't.)

Hey, I can dream, right?

(No I can't.)

Edit: I guess, on a more serious note, it may be worth figuring out whether or not there's an easy way to do "maintenance" updates, that just make it compatible, with minimal programming knowledge.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

530 compatible version is live, and a certain Brandon Wallace made two optional movement-related mods that you can find in Options -> IE Mod. No idea if he's from the forum.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 3
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

530 compatible version is live, and a certain Brandon Wallace made two optional movement-related mods that you can find in Options -> IE Mod. No idea if he's from the forum.

I've implemented a "walking when not in combat" mod (because I assume you don't mind running once combat starts  aiee.gif).  Rather than building it stand-alone (and thus incompatible with IE Mod), I've incorporated it into the IE Mod.  It should be available once Bester accepts the submission.

I know some people on this forum who will be happy :)

Screen_Shot_2015_04_09_at_00_14_07.png

Also @bman654 , what is this Loadgamepatch thing? Is that supposed to make updating the patch for new versions easier?

Screen_Shot_2015_04_09_at_00_11_49.png

Edited by Quantics

Also, what is this Loadgamepatch thing? Is that supposed to make updating the patch for new versions easier?

Indeed.  I've not quite finished it enough to merge in, but essentially when a new patch comes out...

• Copy new game dll into build folder
  • Switch to original-game branch
  • Switch build configuration to LOADGAMEPATCH
  • Compile
  • Run
  • It grabs all of the unmodified game functions the mod is modifying from the new patch and updates the source code back to the "pristine" version (It uses ILSpy to extract the unmodified source code)
  • Use Hg Diff to examine the changes and revert the unimportant ones
  • Commit and tag
  • Switch to default branch
  • Merge original-branch into default branch
  • Mercurial will merge the mods with the new versions of the code.  Since the mods are built as changes from the previous version, auto-merge should do a fairly good job of updating the mod for the new version
  • Build and run to generate new modded library

I should finish it later tonight and get it checked in.

• Like 7

I'm going to be sad to see it go, but I can't say I'm surprised. The steam just sorta ran out once the game was released, for a lot of people, and I think it didn't live up to a lot of people's expectations, even if it's good, it's a far cry from "good enough".

Either way, I'll probably not play until the IEMod is updated by someone, or something better comes along. The fixes and features introduced by the IEMod are simply all too basic to pass up, whether it's removing the silly movement recovery penalty, fixing the neutral selection circles and make them a proper IE-like Cyan, or the entire modular - and beautiful - UI.

I could never even figure out how to change something as basic as the Attribute bonuses around. I wish it was easier to mod, but it really feels like you have to fight PoE tooth and nail to mod it.

Nevermind pirate download high-profile game development software just to take a look at things.

Yeah, it's unfortunate but POE was never going to be the second coming of BG2. Still, IE mod was great and I'm also hoping that someone else is motivated enough to continue.

• Like 1

Bester - my undying gratitue goes to you for making and maintaining a mod that has become an essential, sine qua non part of my playthroughs. Thanks!

Bman654 - For the updater alone you deserve a statue. I was almost ready to give up in the game when you saved the day :) thanks!

• Like 8

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Sen, are you really done with this game ?
Meaning , dont want to play it because it sux or whatever ?

Just to sad to see all your great work with the bugs and stuff, and then suddenly you dont  want to do this game..

Edited by lordkim

Bester, will you release / allow people to modify your mod? You can see it's important for a lot of people that your work will live on...

3fyi0.jpg

->  https://bitbucket.org/Bester/poe-modding-framework

Nice to see someone is interested in continuing with this.

Also, what is this Loadgamepatch thing? Is that supposed to make updating the patch for new versions easier?

Indeed.  I've not quite finished it enough to merge in, but essentially when a new patch comes out...

• [..]

I should finish it later tonight and get it checked in.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't really enjoy it. Combat/encounters are boring, exploration and itemization sucks and I was really disappointed with the story/writing too :(

• Like 6

^ Just untick the automatic updates on steam. 

That's what I'm going to do anyway. 

You can't anymore, afaik. 

Thanks for all the effort you put into the IE mod, Sensuki. Can't say I'm surprised about your choice, for what it's worth, as my enthusiasm has also decreased immensely as a direct result of the design choices and the sheer amount of bugs. 

Edited by ChipMHazard
  • Like 1

Yeah I didn't really enjoy it. Combat/encounters are boring, exploration and itemization sucks and I was really disappointed with the story/writing too :(

What I don't understand though is, with all the testing/hacking that you've done, you must have known all of this even before playing the full game, right?

You knew about combat, you'd seen the encounter design in the BB, the small maps... I mean, besides the story/writing, all the rest should not have come as a big surprise to you, am I wrong?

PS: this is not meant as a personal attack or anything, I'm just a bit surprised is all. 

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 1

Quantics, on 10 Apr 2015 - 4:40 PM, said:

Sensuki, on 10 Apr 2015 - 1:31 PM, said:

lordkim, on 09 Apr 2015 - 8:05 PM, said:

What I don't understand though is, with all the testing/hacking that you've done, you must have known all of this even before playing the full game, right?

You knew about combat, you'd seen the encounter design in the BB, the small maps... I mean, besides the story/writing, all the rest should not have come as a big surprise to you, am I wrong?

PS: this is not meant as a personal attack or anything, I'm just a bit surprised is all. 

I haven't even started the game yet, but itemization and magic were boring in the beta as well, and most encounters had a samey feeling. The gameplay in general isn't to my liking, but i put my hopes to the writing/story, which is the main reason i donated to PoE after all. 

But if I don't like the story/writing, the game will be a failure to me as well. So i can understand Sensuki's dislike if he found the writing lacking.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/quickfire-systemic-criticism-that-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429/page-2#post-3854378

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/quickfire-systemic-criticism-that-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429/

Honestly, putting POE on hold until Obsidian figures out what they want to do isn't a bad idea. A lot of good ideas, but the implementation hasn't been great based on what I've played.

The casuals liked it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

Yeah, I can't really disagree with any of that. I like it more than you do, but ... yeah. That's an excellent summary of all of the many problems with PoE (especially in light of the fact that I've been replaying Tutu simultaneously). It's discouraging.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.