POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

We'll discuss with Obsidian at a later stage to get some changes made to the atlas

There's no need for that. Use of a different atlas with completely different dimensions for ui elements can be easily modded in.

Will we be able to define sizes for the buttons and use images with different dimensions instead of the originals?

For now, you can only use the original size. Using a custom atlas is easy to implement, I even did it at some point to experiment, but I just don't want to make a mod for it myself. The game is out soon, I just want to play it and relax. Somebody else will mod it in eventually.

Can I add my own image/text file for a UI frame, or do I have to replace one of the existing pairs of files?

There's a dozen templates that I included, just replace one of these, yeah.

Bester wanted to edit them and implement a toggle or something I think (yeah, we're pretty stubborn lol)

Nah, no toggle. If people want to use a different atlas, they can replace the png, that's how it works with most games and most mods. I'll include Karkarov's latest atlas in the files, but it won't be the default one most likely. The default one will be a middle ground between his earlier UI version and his latest version.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 2
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I feel like a dumbass for not being able to figure this out but...playing build 480 and trying to test different weapons/specs to see what I want to play in the final game.  I have tried to use 'AddItem', but its not working.

As an example

I hit ~ and get the console with the message saying Press Enter to input a command, then I hit enter type, 'AddItem blunderbuss_fine 1'  I get a message in the combat log telling me no command or script "AddItem" accepting 2 parameters exists.

I have tried different items with names sourced from the objectbundle directory...same results.

Right now 720, 1080, and 1440 are supported.  If you need a different resolution and want to use my UI stuff let me know and I will see what can be done,

16:10 support would be cool. Specifically, 1920x1200.

Yep, 1920x1200 definitely needs some love too!

Hey Karkarov I love your work on the solid UI and it would really be a blast to start PoE (thanks Obsidian!) with a KarkarovD matching the native res of my crappy Samsung at 1920x1200.

Pretty please?

Oh, and thanks Sensuki and Bester for the IE Mod, I really can't find the words to show my appreciation for all your efforts to improve (if possible!) PoE, Thanks guys!

Edited by Sif

Hey Karkarov I love your work on the solid UI and it would really be a blast to start PoE (thanks Obsidian!) with a KarkarovD matching the native res of my crappy Samsung at 1920x1200.

I am working on more resolutions right now while also trying to find a texture for the party border sensuki likes.  1440x900 for example is ready for full support as we speak.  1920x1200 is one of the resolutions I am going to try to get in as well.  If it works how I think 1920x1200 is just going to be a upscale of the 1920x1080 textures anyway.  If you want to throw me a bone on this one though just get yourself a screen shot of the UI at 1920x1200 and get it to me so I have something to work off of.  Please make sure you save it as a png, don't just use a generic steam screenshot as they have terrible quality loss on small details.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I am working on more resolutions right now while also trying to find a texture for the party border sensuki likes.  1440x900 for example is ready for full support as we speak.  1920x1200 is one of the resolutions I am going to try to get in as well.  If it works how I think 1920x1200 is just going to be a upscale of the 1920x1080 textures anyway.

that should be uber easy to do, just go to canvas size in ps and change the desired output size. Might wanna make sure it's at 96 dpi for retina displays on all of the versions.

that should be uber easy to do, just go to canvas size in ps and change the desired output size. Might wanna make sure it's at 96 dpi for retina displays on all of the versions.

Pretty sure the game source images themselves are 72ppi.  I get a bad feeling if I try to screw with that it may mess with the scaling and thus cause an issue in game.  I will talk to bester about it but don't get your hopes up.

Pretty sure the game source images themselves are 72ppi.  I get a bad feeling if I try to screw with that it may mess with the scaling and thus cause an issue in game.  I will talk to bester about it but don't get your hopes up.

if it's a fixed resolution it won't mess anything up. 72 is standard for monitor resolution, but that's from like 1995. Now a days screens are in 2k or 4k and cell phone screens are even 600dpi, but as long as ya keep em fixed at the specific sizes the higher dpi only makes them look sharper, especially if it scales up or down.

Type Iroll20s first (separately)

Thanks man, this was what I was missing.  I thought there might have been a command required to enable cheats and I googled for it but didn't find anything.  And I was able to do some stuff via the console, or at least the zoom setting changes, without IRoll20s.

Whoa, game assets at 72 DPI in 2015? Ugh...

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey guys,

I finally get off my lazy ass and start putting a bit of time into the 12 buttons. Keep in mind its a WORK IN PROGRESS. Right now, i have them in outline form because its easy to see what i'm missing when redrawning the buttons. The final version will look similar to the one in-game. Right now i'm debating whether to keep the original artwork or change them to my liking. These are vector elements and can be exported, to photoshop for fancier texture/shadow.

I will try to complete it soon, when I got time (and not slacking off).

Keep in mind the color in this screenshot is COMPLETE OFF. I use whatever color to help me drawn and they will be changed! changing color and whatever is easy. When its done, it will be colored correctly. The only one in this screenshot that remotely close to the final version is the "shield" icon", lol.

kRqmLOI.png

Edited by ryukenden
  • Like 2

Whoa, game assets at 72 DPI in 2015? Ugh...

Well it's also depends on the viewing distance your eyes are from the screen to be optimized. Here's a techy explanation that kinda breaks it down. Since some folks play on small screens and 2k or 4k screens, or bigger 60-72 inch screens that's primarily why i made my original post so it could scale in size comfortably.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/notes-by-dr-optoglass-the-resolution-of-the-human-eye/

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

Well it's also depends on the viewing distance your eyes are from the screen to be optimized

I know, but 72 DPI was the standard when Baldur's Gate was released. Nowadays the standard is 96 DPI (1920x1080 on a 24" screen, or 2560x1440 on  a 32" screen), with 109 DPI (2560x1440 on a 27" screen) becoming increasingly popular. It doesn't make a great deal of sense for this game's assets to be developed natively at 72 DPI ... it seems kinda backward.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I know, but 72 DPI was the standard when Baldur's Gate was released. Nowadays the standard is 96 DPI (1920x1080 on a 24" screen, or 2560x1440 on  a 32" screen), with 109 DPI (2560x1440 on a 27" screen) becoming increasingly popular. It doesn't make a great deal of sense for this game's assets to be developed natively at 72 DPI ... it seems kinda backward.

Those are the standards on high end expensive pc monitors.  Too bad most media and gaming by a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG shot is displayed on a 1920x1080 television screen or a non cutting edge pc monitor.

Those are the standards on high end expensive pc monitors.  Too bad most media and gaming by a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG shot is displayed on a 1920x1080 television screen or a non cutting edge pc monitor.

I linked this above, but for emphasis... (note ppi and dpi= pixels per inch vs dots per inch. dots is more of a printing term, but basically same thing.)

Computer Monitors

The average computer monitor viewing distance is about 2.5 feet (762 mm). p@0.4 is 89 microns or about 300 ppi/dpi. p@1 is 222 microns or about 115 ppi/dpi. Now you can understand why most consumer computer monitors are about 100 ppi, and most professional computer monitors are slightly higher, but not by much.

The new iPad (3) has a resolution of 264 ppi, which isn’t as good as 300 dpi print but is much better than the average computer monitor. The new Eizo 36.4″ professional air traffic control 4K monitor is at 128 ppi.

Most consumer large screen LCD and LED panels are about 50 ppi to 90 ppi, and average about 72 ppi. Now you know why. If your television gets smaller in size, then the higher ppi doesn’t really help. This is why 1920×1080 (at 100 ppi at 6 feet for a 50″ LCD/LED television panel) is good enough. The eye can’t really resolve a lot more at 6 feet.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

..... You understand your post simply reinforces what I just said.  Most gaming is done on a tv, not a pc monitor.  Thus gaming is still centered around the idea that you are playing at 1080 on your couch through your television.  Where your own link says why 72ppi is enough.

It doesn't matter to me, I can change it will just make the mod download that much larger.  But I seriously doubt it is going to effect any percentage of people playing or that many of you will even be able to tell the difference.

My original post asking for the 96 was to accommodate small screens and large screens alike. 72 is an average range based upon the distance you are from something 2.5 ft away. At 6 ft or more that # isn't so much about 720p or 1080p as it is the size of the actual screen itself. My cellphone screen looks way nicer than my monitor that shows 1920x1200 and is 10bit color (colors in the billions) it looks nicer because the screen is smaller and it's closer to my face. Even regular images like the one's shared by obsidian on the fb page look better on my phone than computer. If I look at my phone at 2 ft and my monitor at 2 ft it still looks better on my smaller screen because the more detailed dpi.

Am I out of luck with my ultra wide 2560x1080 monitor?

If you mean, will I get a custom ui for my insane resolution monitor?  Then yes you are out of luck.  I can change image files to 92 ppi in a matter of minutes.