POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Yeah.. that's a call I can't make on my own [...]

Make it anyway. Make a call. Flip the table and tell whomever said that putting the combat log in the worst possible place was dumb.

Lul I like it on the right, don't mind the left either.  The whole UI goes to pot if you put it in the middle because it makes everything lopsided and uneven and it is impossible to get things spaced in a reasonable way.  Also the party bar is technically longer than the log at it's shortest so you could potentially be pushing the party window into a very very bad spot.

I know you don't want to hear it, but from a design perspective putting it in the middle is not a good idea.

Edited by Karkarov

Sorry for double post again but it is time to put out one last image.  This has taken a REALLY long time, I have huge respect for everyone on the Obsidian team for the work they have done, and Kaz especially for the great UI work he did and the UI system they made.  It has lots of limitations, but in many ways I think those limitations help to bring out the best effort on a modders part and they inspire you to really try to do something to make the game your own.  So major kudo's for leaving the door open to modding in the first place, but also for making those files and resources available in the game so we could take a crack at the UI ourselves.

Also of course I want to give a big thanks to Bester for making this mod and putting in so much work and listening to everyones feedback.  It is guys like him that make modding communities great and he has done more than anyone (outside of Obsidian themselves) for the dedicated fans of this game so far.  Last but not least I obviously have to thank Sensuki as well for always giving UI suggestions and feedback and being one of the forum users from way back who always drove me to try new mock ups and UI ideas.

So all the sappy stuff aside.  I have re-textured everything that is not used in a main menu screen like the character page, or the action bar for reasons I won't go into.  All HUD elements have been updated, reskinned, repositioned, and worked on to make what I feel is as good a UI as the game can get.  Here is an in game pic of what will be the final version of my UI work, baring some minor touch ups here and there.  Bester should have the new source file for his next release of the mod on release day. 

Right now 720, 1080, and 1440 are supported.  If you need a different resolution and want to use my UI stuff let me know and I will see what can be done, going up in resolution isn't too rough it is mostly going down that gets dicey.  There are 4 versions of the UI at this point.  KarkarovA which is a default layout with everything in the default locations (pictured below).  KarkarovB which is the same basic UI but the log on left and party bar on right.  Karkarov C with the party bar on left and log on right but HUD buttons pushed to the far left and right side of the screen.  Then lastly... KarkarovD which is the one Bester and Sensuki normally post with the log on the left, party on right, and HUD in the corners.

I hope my UI work is to your liking and you enjoy it if you use it in game!

itY1pbbSWnjCF.png

• Like 4

Kaz said that they intend to use it (for testing at least), and it is open-source - so yep, wouldn't be surprised.

The Object Browser Bester made is bloody awesome as well, and would be really handy for them too - but they'd want to improve it/fix the functionality. Would be nice if they did that that they complied with the CC-BY-SA for that particular code though.

Edited by Sensuki

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian just grabbed the UI side of the mod at some point and made it official. A freely moveable multi-skin UI would certainly be appealing to the majority of players.

My code is very different from how they would've implemented it. I suppose they could use the Gameobject Browser code, but it's most likely easier for them to write their own, than to fix/improve mine.

So basically it's almost of no use to them.

Would be nice if they did that that they complied with the CC-BY-SA for that particular code though.

I gave it to them under CC0, and although I doubt they'd ever use it, if they ever did, we'd have access to their improved version anyway, cause we're talking about c# here.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Yeah.. that's a call I can't make on my own [...]

Make it anyway. Make a call. Flip the table and tell whomever said that putting the combat log in the worst possible place was dumb.

Lul I like it on the right, don't mind the left either.  The whole UI goes to pot if you put it in the middle because it makes everything lopsided and uneven and it is impossible to get things spaced in a reasonable way.  Also the party bar is technically longer than the log at it's shortest so you could potentially be pushing the party window into a very very bad spot.

I know you don't want to hear it, but from a design perspective putting it in the middle is not a good idea.

But the log needs to be longer anyway, so /shrug. I don't think the party window needs to be moved at all.

The "design perspective" should be a usability perspective, not necessarily what looks the nicest, anyway, but that's not to say that it would look bad at all with the combat log centred.

It really needs to be centred. At least for people that care about the log at all, the rest can just turn it off.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian just grabbed the UI side of the mod at some point and made it official. A freely moveable multi-skin UI would certainly be appealing to the majority of players.

They might, and I think having the functionality to simply move the UI elements, or hide part of them, is a big deal.  Doing a total UI overhaul (take it from me) is a crap load of work though if you want it to look good, also be functional, and work perfectly in game especially at more than one resolution or layout.  Assuming all you want to do is simply move UI elements though there is one weakness to bester's mod and that is once you turn on that part of the functionality you lose the ability to hide the buttons/log.

• Like 1

Just for those who also want test images of the other UI layouts here are some links.  I won't direct post them all just to save on huge post size.  All pics were taken at 1080 and are just generic steam screen caps.  KarkarovA Layout is the pic I posted earlier. 

KarkarovB:  http://i2.minus.com/iFF8GfMI6E7u.jpg

KarkarovC:  http://i4.minus.com/ibmknzCk7nr9sq.jpg

KarkarovD:  http://i4.minus.com/ikoq1a3qhIdn4.jpg

• Like 2

Karkarov, any chance of a version with the superfluous UI buttons (Stronghold, Inventory, Journal, etc) cut out, with the portraits all the way to the left, the "necessary" UI buttons (Select All, Formation, etc) all the way to the right, and the combat log "centred"?

I realize it's a lot of work but I have to ask. :biggrin:

t50aJUd.jpg

Right now 720, 1080, and 1440 are supported.  If you need a different resolution and want to use my UI stuff let me know and I will see what can be done,

16:10 support would be cool. Specifically, 1920x1200.

• Like 1

Kark has done a great job.

I do agree with those that think the combat/dialogue log should be in the middle and works best for that.

As it stands now KarkD is the best one IMO...good job though man.

This is included in the IE mod as of now?

I don't believe the most current version of his atlas is included in the file on the website as of yet, Bester and I aren't a huge fan of the new portrait border so Bester wanted to edit them and implement a toggle or something I think (yeah, we're pretty stubborn lol)

All of the HUDs are in, just not those specific portrait borders or log outline. The current version uses slightly modified versions of Obsidian's portrait border and log textures. I assume the options will be updated soonish.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

I don't believe the most current version of his atlas is included in the file on the website as of yet, Bester and I aren't a huge fan of the new portrait border so Bester wanted to edit them and implement a toggle or something I think (yeah, we're pretty stubborn lol)

All of the HUDs are in, just not those specific portrait borders or log outline. The current version uses slightly modified versions of Obsidian's portrait border and log textures. I assume the options will be updated soonish.

Yea I didn't zoom in but I see now and I agree with you guys on that....I wouldn't want that border either.

Still I like how there are a few of you guys picking up the slack for us lazy people and putting in some extra work!  When I come home I don't feel like looking at code or suites anymore.

• Like 1

Yeah, well Karkarov is making the art - he gets to use those if he wants to, and maybe some people will prefer his borders, so I think they'll both be going in I think.

We'll discuss with Obsidian at a later stage to get some changes made to the atlas, because the log texture in particular is VERY restrictive, unfortunately (as well designed as it is).

The main problem with their UI is that the log stretched over the Solid UI border looks really bad.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Yeah, well Karkarov is making the art - he gets to use those if he wants to, and maybe some people will prefer his borders, so I think they'll both be going in I think.

I already sent you your 2 pixel pic earlier.  Anyone can crop a 2 pixel line together then make another version of it where the line is just brighter.  I wanted to do something with the portrait that actually you know had some kind of design involved.  Not to mention fixed the HP bar gap and overlap, something some people I know complain about non stop and still haven't thanked me for fixing,  So sorry for covering the empty top corner of BB fighters portrait and taking 1 pixel out of bb priests hair. 

Will we be able to define sizes for the buttons and use images with different dimensions instead of the originals?

No.  That isn't how it works.  Everything is held to a very specific size in a source image.  You can't go any larger than the source image allows for that resource.  You can go smaller but you still have to be careful when doing that and you can really screw the pooch if you do.  The buttons (like inventory) for example are 42x42.  You could go smaller (not sure why you would) but you can't go any bigger.