POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Noooooooooooo not after its released !!

Like the drop item button !!  Strange they didnt have done that....

again good vid Sen ;)

Please make a link to the  page where you gonna put all these mods :)

Edited by lordkim

I wouldn't say two weeks. After the game is released, I'd say 1-3 days..?

Sensuki probably refers to two weeks because he wants to mod some abilities? The problem with that is that as we found out yesterday, modding abilities/afflictions/etc is currently broken. The "no engagement" mod will suffer from it slightly because you'll still have a few (2-3?) engagement related abilities in game and Sensuki won't be able to change them. Still, the "no engagement" mod is optional and if you play with it, just don't pick engagement related abilities I guess, cause they'd be useless or less useful.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I wouldn't say two weeks. After the game is released, I'd say 1-3 days..?

Sensuki probably refers to two weeks because he wants to mod some abilities? The problem with that is that as we found out yesterday, modding abilities/afflictions/etc is currently broken. The "no engagement" mod will suffer from it slightly because you'll still have a few (2-3?) engagement related abilities in game and Sensuki won't be able to change them. Still, the "no engagement" mod is optional and if you play with it, just don't pick engagement related abilities I guess, cause they'd be useless or less useful.

I understood it as the game being released in two weeks, but the mod won't be available straight away, but I didn't really pay attention.

That being said, I'm echoing Shevek's question, because depending on what Obsidian does or doesn't do, editing Attribute bonuses and some Talents are the first things I'm going to do before I even start playing the game, most likely.

t50aJUd.jpg

****, how is modding abilities, talents, etc broken? I was just about to start getting my feet wet with some basic mods.

You've been in the "just about to" state for a good half a year. icon_lol.gif Not criticizing or anything, but it's getting funnier and funnier to read those readiness reports. :) But yeah, I know what you mean. I find it hard to find time and energy for this thing even though I don't have kids and all that stuff that you do.

It's broken like this: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71091-480-bug-with-modified-asset-bundle-behaviour/

Edited by Bester

Hey 1440 resolution players out there who like this mod and want to use a custom UI, I need your help!

If all else fails, I will do this when the game's released (and the IE mod is updated for the release build, of course).

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm releasing what I hope to be the final version of the mod. The only work I'm planning on doing is adapting the mod for the day-1 patch and then maybe for some later patches. Hopefully Obsidian will release them as rarely as possible, because each update requires a ton of effort.

New compared to the previous public version:
- Fixed all known mod related bugs.
- Added a "Drop items" button in the inventory.
- Sensuki asked for the selected portrait highlight to be togglable (it's a background glow). It was added somewhere in late 300s and after codding in a toggle button, I agree that it looks much better without. At least for Kark's frame, which I intend to use.
- New Karkarov's frames along with new sizes. Supported resolution for his frames are: 1280x720, 1920x1080, 2560x1440 (this last one needs to be tested).
- Karkarov's awesome buttons are in. (the button for that is called Toggle Custom Textures)
- The "No Engagement" mod also disables red 'disengagement' cursor.

What soon (in the next few days) will follow is custom portrait frames and custom log from Karkarov. It won't require me to release a new version, you'll simply be able to replace a png.
In the meantime, I experimented with the log myself and made it more transparent, just to see if it works fine, but this will be overriden by Karkarov's changes in the next few days.

I've exposed this texture atlas for modders to work with directly:

ActionBarVanilla.png

New version of the mod is available on the mod's site.

If you were using an older version, the "Drag Hud" is now "Drag Hud Background", so it only drags that rectangle texture now. Also, due to some changes in the code, the hud buttons and the clock will fall down from where you've put them previously, quite possibly beyond the borders of your screen, so just drag them back up. If you weren't using the mod, this will not occur of course.

So tl;dr, this is how it currently looks:
IEMod-v4.2.jpg

Edited by Bester
  • Like 11

Nice job with the solid HUD art Karkarov, it looks great. I'm gonna have to up my game here! :p

Hah thanks!  Much of the credit goes to the artists at Obsidian though for providing some of the elements I used (SKELLYS!!!) and also making the game itself which is the inspiration for most of the UI work to begin with.  You guys are the bomb and I can't wait for the 26th!  I literally took vacation time :p

Now back to texturing.......

• Like 2

Danke Bester, danke Karkarov. This is really pretty fantastic.

Question: Within the limitations of what modding can do right now, does it seem possible to implement new auto-pause options? Specifically, does an "action complete"/"spell cast" type of auto-pause seem reasonably doable?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

They will probably do that one on their own.

I hope so, but I'd still appreciate if anyone could tell me about the feasibility of doing it through modding. Just in case, so I don't panic quite so much.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Nice job with the solid HUD art Karkarov, it looks great. I'm gonna have to up my game here! :p

You're also going to have to centre the damn combat log! :p

Yeah.. that's a call I can't make on my own, and certainly won't be changing for day 1 patch. That is not to say it won't change in the future.

I've seen a lot of different mock ups posted around here, which is a great thing, but ultimately they need to be tested in the game using that layout before we can make any meaningful judgments on what works / doesn't. This mod allows us to do that sort of rapid testing, which is super cool. I haven't gotten the time to play with this yet, but will take a look once I'm done implementing core content (unique item icon art etc.) and things wind down a bit. Keep up the great work guys. :)

• Like 5

If you're still there Kaz - the way the combat log is stored in the atlas makes it a bit hard to edit to make it match with (any) solid hud as it just stretches one column of vertical pixels / one row of horizontal pixels, although I think Bester and Karkarov are looking into something temporarily for our custom bottom bars.

We can probably bring up specific issues with that stuff post-release after we've started mucking around with it more.

Edited by Sensuki

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but one thing we will be doing is separating the "frame" and background gradient into two separate assets so they are not bound together like it is now. That will give modders far more flexibility.

• Like 2

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but one thing we will be doing is separating the "frame" and background gradient into two separate assets so they are not bound together like it is now. That will give modders far more flexibility.

My concern isn't the background so much.  Once you really understand how a lot of the Eternity UI is sourced and displayed I admit it is really cool and very well designed, serious props on some of the stuff in there it is very sly and lightweight.  My main nitpick would just be the size of some elements (such as the log) because the actual resources are so small and the way they are blocked out leaves little room for a ton of tweaking.  On one hand I actually love that as it forces me to be a bit better at designing the elements, nothing forces creativity as well as "do whatever you want but it has to fit within XYZ" limits.  It would be nice to have a teensy bit more play though.

Also for those who care I am hammering away at a final party and combat log texture.  I have been working with super sensitive Bester and Sensuki on it cause their tastes are fairly different so if I can make something they both like I know it will be good :p.  I will forever loathe their love of shiny highlighted portrait frames though.

• Like 3

We were actually thinking of going BG style for that Karkarov, you can build the outside of the portrait into the UI, and just have the inner bit with a highlight line in the space around the portrait.

That would probably be the best way to do it I suppose.

The problem I see with textures like the log is yeah, there's not much room for editing as it has to conform to the same dimensions and the way that the log is stretched (by repeating the same pixels). At present we won't be able to take the texture and solid border that Karkarov's UI has and stretch that, because it requires more space for repeating patterns/etc

Edited by Sensuki