POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Lol I read this thread too sensuki I am just not all about shameless self promotion.  When I get the above UI to a point where I am satisfied with it 100% I will move to the UI designed around the original layout.  Once I get it all where I want it to be on this one the "Sensuki Preferred" layout it should be fairly easy to make the needed mods to the other.  I may also do a swap around for those who prefer the bar on the left and the log on the right.

The fun part is when I start working on other resolutions so it works on more than just 1080.  Please pray to whatever divinities you believe it for me.

• Like 3

The fun part is when I start working on other resolutions so it works on more than just 1080.  Please pray to whatever divinities you believe it for me.

The God of 2560x1440 already sends you His blessing :D

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The God of 2560x1440 already sends you His blessing :D

Well if you want to do me a real solid this is what I need...  Turn on the above UI Bar sensuki posted earlier.  Play the game at your chosen resolution, the ui should work but it will look like crap.  Align the ui elements as suggested or at least as best as you can. Go to Stormwall Gorge (or wherever really I just like gorge for it) and push your camera into an area that is solid black.  Take a screenshot.  PM me the screenshot.

Bear in mind the higher resolutions are where things will get rough cause the UI is designed primarily at 1080 (since that is what most people will play at, such as myself) but I can make it work regardless.

• Like 2

Meanwhile in the land of the double post.  I went ahead and made a 720p version of what is currently being called the "B" version of the bottom bar just to see how hard it might be.  Here is a pic of what it looks like once properly aligned.  There are some tiny changes you probably wont even notice in this version.  I still have to clean up the bottom bar a bit.  This is more just a proof of concept to show the scaling/resizing for different resolutions can work without too much hassle per se.

itwAFJWTgLQlJ.jpg

If anyone actually wants the original clean UI bar for use at 1280x720 feel free to download it from here:

http://i2.minus.com/ibzxbNLDALQyvv.png

Just make sure to rename it to karkarovB-1280x720 and to create a text file with the same name before you use it.  The text file just needs to be 3 lines. The three lines specifically should be -

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Well if you want to do me a real solid this is what I need...  Turn on the above UI Bar sensuki posted earlier.  Play the game at your chosen resolution, the ui should work but it will look like crap.  Align the ui elements as suggested or at least as best as you can. Go to Stormwall Gorge (or wherever really I just like gorge for it) and push your camera into an area that is solid black.  Take a screenshot.  PM me the screenshot.

Unfortunately I can't do that as I gave away my beta key early last September. However, I asked kujeger if he could do it since he also plays at 2560x1440—so hopefully he will contact you :)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thanks, kujeger!

On a lark I tried creating a blank 2560x1440 image and drawing up a simple test area.

2560x1440 does not work. The UI simply grabs the first 1920x1080 starting the bottom left, and scales it up to 2560x1440, cutting off everything else.

Might be something in the mod, but I'd hazard a guess that it is a symptom of PoE's UI not handling >1920x1080 (in the current BB at least).

Ingame result

Base image

(areas are 1280x720, 1920x1080, 2560x1440)

Edited by kujeger

This roughly what was needed?

Yeap that's it!  Thanks much!

Also for those who care here is a new 720p link.  I did some more passes on the UI so I decided to cack the old one and repost a new one.  Same naming/text file rules apply.

http://i3.minus.com/ibel9Fr7odrtHF.png

Hey, looks awesome. I was thinking of making the brown background behind the 2 sets of 6 buttons togglable. Don't know, maybe it could allow you to improve the UI even further by placing some art behind the 6 buttons?

To illustrate what I'm talking about:

PillarsOfEternity%202015-03-12%2022-02-3

On a lark I tried creating a blank 2560x1440 image and drawing up a simple test area.

2560x1440 does not work. The UI simply grabs the first 1920x1080 starting the bottom left, and scales it up to 2560x1440, cutting off everything else.

Might be something in the mod, but I'd hazard a guess that it is a symptom of PoE's UI not handling >1920x1080 (in the current BB at least).

Ingame result

Base image

(areas are 1280x720, 1920x1080, 2560x1440)

I'll look into it tomorrow, thanks for the png.

• Like 2
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Hey, looks awesome. I was thinking of making the brown background behind the 2 sets of 6 buttons togglable. Don't know, maybe it could allow you to improve the UI even further by placing some art behind the 6 buttons?

To illustrate what I'm talking about:

Thanks Bester.  If you could find a way to do it go for it, it would free me up to do something a little more out there with those sections.  If you can create a miracle and completely eradicate the background transparent texture of the log I love you long time.

As for the 2560 debacle here is a screenshot of what the UI "should" look like when properly aligned in game.

http://i.imgur.com/wRtaqcb.jpg

Here is the edited clean version of the bar after scaling and fixes were done.  It is slightly darker than original but small price to pay for popping the details a bit and getting a cleaner look at a much higher resolution:

http://i1.minus.com/iL5H2zP6IzBEp.png

Name needs to be karkarovB-2560x1440 and in this case the text for the file should read...

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

If you can create a miracle and completely eradicate the background transparent texture of the log I love you long time.

The log frame and its background are just one image unfortunately. That being said, it is possible to extract that image (Sensuki extracts things with UnityStudio?), cut out the background in photoshop (or change it) and re-import it as part of the mod. If you provide an image like that, I can try to hook it up.

Somehow I complete missed that the ui layout can be "modded" with a photoshop. This sure opens up opportunities. I need to dig deeper into this thread. 

I have some design experience (like Illustrator), so if he need me to create something let me know as well. 

Somehow I complete missed that the ui layout can be "modded" with a photoshop. This sure opens up opportunities. I need to dig deeper into this thread. 

I have some design experience (like Illustrator), so if he need me to create something let me know as well. 

If you want to discuss brutal details feel free to pm me.  Fair warning, design elements that extrude beyond the border (more than a handful of pixels anyway), or transparent elements just plain don't work.  So you either design a U frame, a bottom bar, or an L frame.  No other style will work due to design limitations.

EDIT:  You could design a double bar border as well and leave the log in the center bottom screen.  It would be freaking weird but it could be done. 

Here is a demo look at the updated default layout.  Once bester has time to update the mod to the new version I will put out clean files for it assuming Bester doesn't just include it since I already sent it to him.

inDgjbz64IN9X.png

Edited by Karkarov

That explains a lot.

I already start drawing out shapes for the new 12 buttons. It would be helpful if I know how the mod uses these elements so I can format them. I'm currently doing them in Illustrator, as the file are vector based, meaning I can resize and scale however I want. 

I'll try to update the mod today.

It would be helpful if I know how the mod uses these elements so I can format them.

Have you seen the codex thread with the specifications? That's all I have at the moment. Also the mod isn't using them at all right now, it'll be implemented when there are buttons to work with.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1

I'll try to update the mod today.

It would be helpful if I know how the mod uses these elements so I can format them.

Have you seen the codex thread with the specifications? That's all I have at the moment. Also the mod isn't using them at all right now, it'll be implemented when there are buttons to work with.

Well knowing I can just replace the buttons I may do that myself to get it consistent with the bar designs I have done.  My interpretation of what you said about the Log is that the Log is one image right?  So correct me if I am wrong....  if I just rip the current log, and cut out it's background but leave the frame (which is fine as is) in tact.... would it work?

Also if we are going to add in things like changing stat bonuses, or removing auto loot or clipping, lets just make sure they are toggle able like how "no more engagement" is now.

Edited by Karkarov

Well knowing I can just replace the buttons I may do that myself to get it consistent with the bar designs I have done.  My interpretation of what you said about the Log is that the Log is one image right?  So correct me if I am wrong....  if I just rip the current log, and cut out it's background but leave the frame (which is fine as is) in tact.... would it work?

Also if we are going to add in things like changing stat bonuses, or removing auto loot or clipping, lets just make sure they are toggle able like how "no more engagement" is now.

You can try to rip the log out with photoshop, I guess. If you do that, make sure it's without tabs.

You can send me your version of buttons, I'll have to develop a system similar to the custom frame's system for the buttons then.

Yes, major changes will always be optional.

• Like 2

You can try to rip the log out with photoshop, I guess. If you do that, make sure it's without tabs.

You can send me your version of buttons, I'll have to develop a system similar to the custom frame's system for the buttons then.

Yes, major changes will always be optional.

Excellent.  So if we can replace the buttons themselves, and remove the button grid.... I got some UI work to do :p  I would be really cool to hit this game on launch day with a fully built custom UI.

no IE mod update yet?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance