POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Light spoiler alert.

Since I'm not allowed to show screenshots or vids of game content that isn't available in the beta without cheats, but it's ok for people to view it themselves, here's a little update to the mod that has two console commands.

GorgeRestore - use it only when in Stormwall Gorge. It will remove the flood in the Stormwall Gorge and you'll be able to go down there and explore, there's some stuff there and some monsters (kind of like black lions... not sure what difficulty you have to be on for them to spawn, I play on Hard). And to the west there's a cave that you can go in.
TrollRestore - once you're in the cave, clear out all the trash, get all the loot (there's a sarcophagus and a few other containers), rest and type TrollRestore in the console - it will spawn the Troll boss encounter. The troll looks... original... It's not green, it's pink.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/IEmodTemp.zip

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Also while still not quite finished, here's an alpha version of those custom bottom bars. Bester coded a system that can make collider boxes for any 2D background element automatically (as long as it's rectangular/square), so many kinds of UI are possible - although it requires adjusting of how tooltips work so that they automatically position correctly, rather than clipping off screen or being shown from the wrong corner.

Cmee8Qn.jpg

BJm6c31.jpg

This one needs revisions based on its implementation (sent them to the artist this morning), and currently a collider can't be made for the triangular "adra" decoration, at least not automatically.

So if you want to make your own UI bar, you can replace one of the files in the IE mod UI folder, and the mod should make a collider for you, to eat clicks.

Hopefully they change the combat log texture though. No idea why transparency is implemented on the texture side, rather than it being coded transparent by the game.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 6

BJm6c31.jpg

Man, I was going to use the vanilla solid UI (perhaps moving the log to the center) ... but this is just friggin' amazing. If you're going to include this layout/texture in the IE mod, I'll be using it for my playthroughs.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's excellent, looks pretty much like I wanted it. Any file size, dimensions, file format requirements on the background textures? I'd love to start working on one.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

That's excellent, looks pretty much like I wanted it. Any file size, dimensions, file format requirements on the background textures? I'd love to start working on one.

In short:

- Since Unity (or Ngui?) doesn't scale down images very well, you have to make an image for every resolution (or you don't have to, but then people with those resolutions wouldn't be able to use it)

- You have to call your images: yourUiName-1920x1080.png, yourUiName-1280x768.png, etc... Example: http://i.gyazo.com/3adcf232734fde7acede45dc8c2ea4c5.png

- For every .png file, you must have a .txt file of the same name. The text file has three lines. First line is the left bar's width in pixels, second line is bottom bar's height in pixels, third line is rightbar's width in pixels.

But the image itself is in one block in a simple png-24 bicubic, it can be an L frame, a reverse L frame, a U frame, a _ frame. If there is no left bar in your UI, just use 0 on the first line in the text file.

Will release the mod tomorrow so you can test these things in game. I wanted to finish the buttons, but seems like I can't draw anything decent, so we'll have to wait for someone more capable.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 3

I have been reporting bugs that I find to Bester. The mod has been in development for months now, and so far I've only found a few minor bugs. Every bug I've reported Bester has been able to fix very easily.

There is one bug with the Custom UI menu where sometimes when you enable it you can't click any of the buttons, you have to quit to the main menu and reload your game to fix it. That's the only issue we are aware of at the moment. There was a bug where enable looting in combat would be enabled regardless of whether you had the checkbox checked or not, that's been fixed as well. Other than that, I've been using it every day and I have not had a single problem.

Personally I think it's far more likely that any serious bugs you find will be caused by the main game itself. First, the IE mod has to be adapted when the game is updated to release version, so the mod will not be available until that happens. You can't use a previous version of the mod with a newer version of the game.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

If you're going to include this layout/texture in the IE mod, I'll be using it for my playthroughs.

Yeah it'll be included, courtesy of Karkarov.

That's fantastic!

In that case, thanks to Karkarov as well :)

Since, as per your post above, every resolution needs be accounted for separately, any chance 2560x1440 is included for this thing of beauty?

That would be another advantage over the vanilla UI, which scales beyond 1920x1080 and becomes blurry.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

BJm6c31.jpg

This one needs revisions based on its implementation (sent them to the artist this morning), and currently a collider can't be made for the triangular "adra" decoration, at least not automatically.

So if you want to make your own UI bar, you can replace one of the files in the IE mod UI folder, and the mod should make a collider for you, to eat clicks.

Hopefully they change the combat log texture though. No idea why transparency is implemented on the texture side, rather than it being coded transparent by the game.

Nice! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. 

I know lots of people a drooling over Grotesque's UI, but I just find it too cluttered and bulky (and if I'm being honest, a bit tacky). 

This on the other hand, is simple, elegant and functional. 

Want ! 

Edited by Quantics

- Fixed the last known bug, so here's the v4.0 for all platforms: http://rien-ici.com/iemod/

- Custom frames included in the mod are only available for 1920*1080 resolution at this point. Karkarov said he's going to adapt his frames for other resolutions. As for my own U-frames, you can adapt them yourself if you want from this psd.

- Still looking for an artist to draw the buttons, here are the specifications.

Recorded a short vid to showcase all latest functionality, but there's almost nothing new if you watched Sensuki's last video about the mod.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 5

I don't own adobe cloud, but if anyone does the newest version of illustrator can turn dang near any image into a vector image which can scale any size and you don't lose quality. Which reminds me about custom portrait sizes, should be easy to do as well. So if you want to turn the lil icons into bigger one's it should be pretty dang easy to resize them. I only have Sundays off, but I do love creating this kinda stuff, so maybe I can make a go at it over the next few weeks.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade
  • Like 1

can turn dang near any image into a vector image

I don't have much experience with vector images, but sounds like a cool story. I've seen this functionality a few years ago in some other software and it didn't work very well at all.

• Like 1

Karkarov sent me an edit of one of the UI layouts - just replace the one in the mod folder with this one.

That's a VERY nice compromise between minimalism and a beautiful solid UI, and the composition is a very nice improvement on the original. 

• Like 2

Yeah I'll get him to update the stock layout one too. We also have a few artists working on prototype custom buttons for the U-shaped HUD. 

That one won't be the final version as we need to see whether Obsidian listens on the combat HUD being transparent. Otherwise we might need to get custom log art so that it doesn't look dumb.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1