POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

Game of Thrones dragons look more like wyverns for example but are referred to as dragons so duh.

Feel free to look up the reason why ASoIAF Dragons only have two legs, and that's pretty much the basis of my statement.

Why would one use the way things are done in one fantasy to judge another?

correct. it's a pointless discussion overall, to judge whether in a fantasy world 4-legged dragons or 2-legged animals can fly or not. DA dragons have 4 legs and wings, and they fly. Skyrim dragons have 2+wings, and they fly.

I've always imagined dragons flying, that's it. it would also be very interesting from a PoV of gameplay, but I most definitely did not want to make the thread derail about something as meaningless.

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Speaking of meaningless derailment:

I think the most likely of animals to engineer to fly would be a rat. Assuming after a few generations of gene splicing the musculature could be shifted enough to support wings which could then be grafted on (or be engineered to grow its own wings) my main concern is if would be mentally and emotionally capable of flying. Poor land-bound rats have no instinct on how to fly, so training would be necessary. They would likely experience considerable fear and/or anxiety about flying as well. So many obstacles...

I got the opportunity to play with the Backer Beta (v392) a bit today, and I decided to muck about a bit with the commands (since I didn't have the time to really play at this time, or at least not "get into it").

Funnily enough, I couldn't get the AddTalent command to work. It adds the Talents as Abilities, and if you use both AddTalent and AddAbility, you can even have two abilities of the same kind. It still allows you to take the Talent on Levelup, too.

Also, the format for AddTalent and AddAbility is not the same. AddTalent seems to always affect the Player, and doesn't need to point to the player, simply AddTalent <Talent> is enough, whereas AddAbility wants AddAbility <Target> <Ability>.

t50aJUd.jpg

Actually, scratch that. It seems that AddTalent and AddAbility have extremely similar functionality, but you need to make sure to call upon the correct Ability or Talent as per the resources available in /objectbundle/.

Talents are prefaced with tln_.

So for example, for the Adventurer Weapon Focus, you use tln_weapon_focus_adventurer, not weaponfocusadventurer.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Worth it if just for the Cyan selection circles for Neutral NPC:s. I seriously have no idea what they were thinking when they thought it'd be a good idea to make everyone that isn't overtly hostile show up as an ally.

• Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

One of the bad things is that the way they have coded the inventory/controls makes it impossible to make TAB removing the tooltip delay possible in the inventory screen :/. You can make it so that if you're holding the TAB key and mouse over an item, it shows the tooltip, but not actually pressing TAB over the item.

Hopefully they change the code for that because it's real silly. I also think Bester said it had something to do with a C# limitation or something as well, but that situation arises because of they way they've done it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

One of the bad things is that the way they have coded the inventory/controls makes it impossible to make TAB removing the tooltip delay possible in the inventory screen :/. You can make it so that if you're holding the TAB key and mouse over an item, it shows the tooltip, but not actually pressing TAB over the item.

Hopefully they change the code for that because it's real silly. I also think Bester said it had something to do with a C# limitation or something as well, but that situation arises because of they way they've done it.

Hence why you two are the best modding hope :p

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

I am soooo going to use this mod for my every playthrough. Thanks, Bester and Sensuki!

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Sensuki, on 04 Jan 2015 - 3:23 PM, said:Sensuki, on 04 Jan 2015 - 3:23 PM, said:

Is it possible to alter spell effects and more general system rules?  Altering how armor class works, use of integers instead of percentages, altering spell effects to be more hard counterish all or nothing move vs countermove etc.

Mind you, i'm not asking you two to do this although it would be much appreciated, i'm just asking if it's possible to be done if someone has the commitment, or it is coded in such a way as to make this impossible?

Edited by Malekith

is that the way they have coded the inventory/controls makes it impossible to make TAB removing the tooltip delay

Not impossible, just more complicated than the usual stuff. I'll try to fix it anyway if they don't do it themselves later towards the release.

• Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I like Bester's blue better than IE's. original.gif

Apparently that is the new colorblind blue from the new patch, not a color Bester chose. Since I never play with colorblind mode on I wasn't aware that Obsidian changed it.

I like the way you did it. So we actually can decide what mods we like to use.. And will this work with future mods thats coming. ?

great work guys ;)

I can see its IE mods, but when other mods are coming..

Edited by lordkim

I usually don't use any mods when I play games. It's kinda like going to a fine restaurant, ordering a 70$ entree and then asking for ketchup. But these look really good. I'll use some ketchup on my second run for sure. Good job guys, appreciate the hard work!

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

I usually don't use any mods when I play games. It's kinda like going to a fine restaurant, ordering a 70$ entree and then asking for ketchup. But these look really good. I'll use some ketchup on my second run for sure. Good job guys, appreciate the hard work!

I wholeheartedly disagree. That assumes that every game made is the best it can be for everyone that plays it. 

It's more like going to Chili's and ordering the fajitas. Some love them the way they are and wouldn't change a thing. Some think they lack something. Mods work like if one was able to go back into the kitchen, prepare other garnishments and ingredients that would then make the fajitas tremendous, then share said creations with people of similar tastes. 

It's all a matter of perspective. The fajitas might taste great for you, but there are plenty of us that think some salsa would make them taste a whole lot better.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly disagree. That assumes that every game made is the best it can be for everyone that plays it. 

Absolutely.  It also assumes that developers have infinite time to perfect things the way they want it.  Sometimes devs don't have the money to spend five days to make one sword texture.  Sometimes the devs might really want to add certain features, and just not have the time.  Some features are just really hard and take a ****load of work to put in.  Sometimes difficulty is cut for popular appeal.

Mods made by the devs themselves like JE Sawyers mod for FNV or Gaider's Ascension for BGII:ToB put the lie to that attitude.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

Since we all have different styles of play and different likes and dislikes mods make it possible to tweak the game to the individual liking.  One important thing to remember is that mods can cause conflicts with each other and sometimes with the game itself.  The rule I was taught is to add one mod at a time, then test the game.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Here's a video demonstrating most of the features of the mod, but I forgot to demonstrate a few of them such as TAB interaction with the ability tooltips

Some of this is really basic IE stuff that should be in the game. I mean blue selection circles around town people? I can see myself waiting a few weeks for mods to get released and tweaked to make PoE a more IE like experience before I play this.

Well done Bester and Sensuki. salute.gif

• Like 4

We can probably include an option that changes NPC circles to yellow or something for people who play with the colorblind mode on and have blue party circles. I'm not sure which would be the most colorblind friendly NPC color. Someone who is actually colorblind could probably help me there.

Edited by Sensuki