POSSIBLE SPOILERS Modding thread: A simple mod and Console commands

Bester

A bit more information on the file types, for those interested,

Type 128 (fonts) is TTF, which makes me a very happy bunny, in case we want to put in custom fonts. However, when exporting them, they do not work at all. I am betting Unity alters them somewhat.

File Type 93 covers all in-game audio effects and BGM, dialogue is still beyond my grasp (possibly in the big resource.assets file that I could not open): all audio is OGG Vorbis 2.0, of variable quality (not constant): bgm is at 44.1 (at least, there is only one track in the files I could open) while SFXs are mostly 48 for abilities and container + ambient (emitter, door) sounds, 44.1 for ambient souns (those that are looped, like chatter or general backgroud), some emitters. Creature sounds are mixed, no known criteria atm.

Some effects are very quiet tho, they could use a bit more volume.

• Like 1
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Very interesting info on sound!

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Very interesting info on sound!

:)

I managed to check the main file, but no other music is there. It seems obsidian has killed it in this release. let's hope for the next, I want to check at least a couple things.

I found the VO, but couldn't extract it. it's behind a "Unity3d" extension, different from the "assets". Unity Obfuscator is too old to work. I hope a decompiler is released, or in any case a tool that enables view\extraction\editing.

• Like 1

More info: textures.

There are no really big textures, icons are in fact very small. however, there are different types accordingly to WHAT the texture is used for. I am still figuring out the criteria for which is which...

I noticed however that the Normal Maps are NOT the RGB format map used, as an example, Dragon Age. a converter will be probably needed, as Photoshop does not keep all changes if switching between channels. Maybe ShaderMap could help, if it worked, Crazybump does not.

EDIT: linky! for those that feel experimenting.

Edited by Dark_Ansem
  • Like 1

if you guys figure out what files they're using for spell fx let me know. I know how to create that sorta stuff a bit in after fx, photoshop, 3ds max, and a lil bit in the shuriken particle engine in unity, but I've never attempted to put it in a game engine and I have a couple weeks off next week and I might try modding something for fun.

You could always PM one of the devs to ask. They always reply when I ask something.

hehe, not everyone is you tho :p

I have looked at those and at the meshes. I believe the meshes are a standard format, while the fx effects are Unity-created.

Both, however, are processed by Unity and coughed up as extensionless files..

I am not special, they reply to pretty much anyone. Lots of people I know have sent a PM and got a reply within a couple of days.

-1 here :p ah, no matter. And you're pretty special, you are a honorary developer :p

Can maps be created in the mods? Anyone know how far we can get with this? I'm thinking even if rudimentary maps can be placed in the game, we're looking at something spectacular...

The question would only remain then, Bester, who will create the Baldur's Gat, IWD, PS:T games in the PoE engine utilizing the mapfiles from those games.

• Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Can maps be created in the mods? Anyone know how far we can get with this? I'm thinking even if rudimentary maps can be placed in the game, we're looking at something spectacular...

The question would only remain then, Bester, who will create the Baldur's Gat, IWD, PS:T games in the PoE engine utilizing the mapfiles from those games.

I heard Josh mention specifically that maps would probably not be moddable due to their current methodology and pipeline. 

if you guys figure out what files they're using for spell fx let me know. I know how to create that sorta stuff a bit in after fx, photoshop, 3ds max, and a lil bit in the shuriken particle engine in unity, but I've never attempted to put it in a game engine and I have a couple weeks off next week and I might try modding something for fun.

The link to the tool to edit spells is this thread's first post (first line of the post). It should allow you to assign your own particles to spells.

Can maps be created in the mods?

As far as I can tell, anything can be done, it's only a matter of how much time it's gonna cost you.

At this point, it's not possible to extract and modify scenes yet (disunity doesn't support it yet, or actually it does, but there's a bug that wouldn't let it work with poe scenes). You can change anything programmatically though, so your hands aren't tied.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

About maps: AFAIK maps, on the purely graphical compartment, use a Depth of Field, Normal Map and Albedo (Diffuse?) texture: in theory, adding an area as-is should be possible. BUT, in order to make the passes and the effects that were shown in trailers and dev videos (pretty lights, windows lighting up, possibly shadows etc) more advanced tools would be needed, at least to create new ones. copying them from other maps might be possible anyway, but they'd have to be manually adjusted.

Another couple findings (for me, at least, I'm pretty sure Bester and Sensuki already know): apparently the game uses at least one huge String file, much like the IE games and NWN. BUT, on the other side, I could not understand if it also uses various, deparate "dlg" files to handle conversations. And if those DLG files possess an autonomous storage of strings (which would be more convenient, also from a modding PoV, than editing a master file). possibly, a tool like TSL Patcher could be required in case of a single master file :p

I am also investigating the textures further. Absolutely no idea on the meshes format, instead.

also an issue for modded maps is creating pathing for the new maps probably won't be possible since that's done separately after they're created and monsters have to be placed and scripted, etc. and requires a bunch of coding.

I had forgotten about that. But perhaps a workaround could be possible...