Poll. Should the 'Invisible Combat Round' of IE Games Return ?

Should PoE remain round-free or should it have 'hidden rounds' where everyone's actions are limited, like in the old IE games ?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the 'inv. combat round' of IE Games to return ?

• Yes. I want Combat in PoE designed based on inv. combat rounds that determine everyone's actions.
    • No. I prefer the new system, re-balanced & tweaked until it can be made to work.

The IE games were real time. The only difference is that amount of actions units could perform were determined by a different method. 

If your second statement is aimed at me then you obviously didn't read my first post in this thread, go check page one.

Because the lack of synchronized action makes it chaotic. The best UI in the known universe can't fix that.

Asynchronous action does not inherently equal chaos. Everyone in The Hunger Games started at the same distance from the Cornucopia, and all got to start performing actions at the same time, so obviously what occurred at the start of every Hunger Games was the opposite of chaos.

Nope. 8P

I went first (because of asynchronization), and knocked you to the ground before you got to attack. Looks to me like that's less chaotic than both of us scrambling to attack one another at the exact same time and wondering who's technically going to land an attack first.

I'm sorry, but round-based "real-time movement + non-real-time combat" is just the worst part of turn-based combat tossed into a blender along with the worst part of real-time combat. "Oh, it's nice that you didn't really ever have to worry about pausing but about once every 6 seconds" is the only real benefit it provided, as compared to other options.

That said, that doesn't mean that a fully real-time, asynchronous system is somehow immune to chaos, and it doesn't mean that PoE's current system doesn't have some chaos going on, or that we should have to pause every millisecond. It's just not the fault of everything (but movement, for some reason) not being married to a metronome.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

And starting posts about how the game would be better with the IE combat style isn't even constructive because the game won't take that direction whatever several people in these forums say.

I don t care if it's not constructive, it's a complain. A loud one that is.

They built their game on the foundation of good old IE games, they are a ton influenced by D&D system & classes-spells-creatures, but on the key points they realise they want to differ & improve.

Well kind Sirs, your idea of improvement wields only mediocre results & will keep PoE from being a grand game. You ve shown arrogance where you should show respect.

Good luck fixing your mess now.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Well kind Sirs, your idea of improvement wields only mediocre results & will keep PoE from being a grand game. You ve shown arrogance where you should show respect.

Good luck fixing your mess now.

This system is far from being a total mess, and more near to functioning ideally than not. A simple standardization of all the activation and recovery times incurred by abilities and all of this is resolved. You choose your upper limits and your lower limits, then align everything in between those two points in relation to each other. That's not as much work as it sounds. I get a strong sense that many abilities were designed ad hoc--in strong contrast to the meticulous and unified design of weapons and armor. That's an annoying problem to have to go back and revisit, but not a difficult one to solve. If I'm wrong about the root of this problem, I will most certainly eat crow, but I don't feel that I'm incorrect on this.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1