Sensuki's Suggestions #027: Combat Idle Animation into Recovery Animation

Sensuki

In this video I showcase the Baldur's Gate combat idle and how it differs from the standard idle animation and highlight the instances when it was used in the game, for perspective.

In this video I propose that the current combat idle that units enter when the combat state begins (also used for Stealth) should be changed into a recovery time animation and stance with longer and more prominent breathing, fidgets and higher, more sensible and recognizable weapon guards for characters. I think that units should use the default out of combat idle animation when they have no target / not doing anything in combat, because then you will be able to tell that they are IDLE in combat. 

Morphing the combat idle into a Recovery time animation will likely be less expensive for Obsidian than creating a new separate animation for recovery time itself. I don't really care whether this suggestion is used or a new animation is created, but I strongly believe that one of them needs to happen to lessen confusion in combat and make disabling Combat HUDs actually viable.

Melee weapons could also use an extra attack animation or two, but that's a topic for another day.

Let me know if you agree with this suggestion so that the developers see this as a priority or have any ideas or improvements to it. I know Karkarov thinks it's a minor quibble and thinks it's easy for animators to do this right at the end of development however I am not blessed with the same assurance.

There are probably a few other things the animators could do regarding combat animations in Pillars of Eternity, but I think these are the main two, if you have any other ideas, please post them.

Previous Suggestions:

XP Rewards

Version Review v301 bb

Recovery time should not pause while moving

Revamped Character Creation

Show Derived Stats during CC

Talents and Feats

Inventory Mockup v2

Desynchronized Character Movement

Version Review v278 bb

Cultural Gear Selection

Navmesh for AoE Targeting

Animations & Model Collision

Inventory Mockup

Dyrford Crossing Area Design

Main HUD Mockup

Beta Version Review v257 bb

Fog of War

Inventory & Item Tooltips

Combat Feedback Comparison 

Re-wrote CC Class Ability Descriptions

Item Descriptions and Contextual UI Rant

Area Map Functions 

Main UI Tooltip Stuff 

Selection Circles and Targeting

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 7

Second video isn't working, but I'm guessing you're reuploading it.

How can you play the IE games at 40 fps? Drives me nuts every time I see it. >_< 

Completely offtopic: Just remembered this after seeing your evil party. Has anyone ever tried using chaotic neutral Anomen in an evil party? I do hate the guy, but I've never tried failing his knighthood.

30 FPS looks too laggy to me, I can't stand it. 40 FPS is much more visually fluid.

Second video re-up is 95% processing, hopefully will be done soon.

Yeah I failed his Knighthood in one game, although that would have been the only game I used him in. Didn't like him ;D

Edited by Sensuki

Nice videos and suggestions. Also more concise than your previous one ;)  One question though, since you did now show actual combat from the bg video, what difference would it make? I think in BG I remember characters standing around if they had just killed an enemy they were commanded to attack, instead of going after another enemy. Though this could be changed with AI behaviors set to aggressive, then they would just go after the next red circle. This is an option I liked having for fighters/melee characters without many active abilities but did not use on mage/healer characters since I wouldnt want them rushing into melee. Instead the idle animation would show they needed to be issued another command? Is that what you're getting at? I think it is but isn't entirely clear WHY you want this change. Since I've read many of your posts I doubt it is for aesthetic reasons, so it probably has to do with gameplay.

If you want to see Infinity Engine combat I've got 35 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIRfCmyR7ijJU11xQVn2SXIwmeuajTkom

That is a separate issue that you mention related to PartyMember AI Auto Attack clauses and Enemy AI Targeting clauses. Currently Pillars of Eternity only has like one auto attack clause for party members, and that's to do with Engagement (which I find intrusive).

The Infinity Engine games had targeting clauses for 'attack closest enemy of same type' where when a character was auto-attacking a unit, they would then search for a unit of the same type. Let's say Minsc is attacking an orc, when the orc dies, he will look for the closest orc to attack.

The Baldur's Gate games also had a simple script for companions, they would auto attack the closest enemy on sight if they were idle.

The reason I think recovery time needs an animation is because it's hard to tell when characters are in recovery or idle sometimes, and you also have the option to disable the Combat HUDs, which display the unit's current action and their recovery time bar. If those are disabled, you would have absolutely zero idea if your character was in recovery or not other at a glance. I said that in the video.

It would be one small but critical step to clearer feedback in combat that is not related to UI features. If you can accomplish something with in-game feedback without the need for an extra user interface element - you should do it.

Edited by Sensuki

am hoping Obsidian will include it! If i may, i would like to also make a suggestion in addition to that. Since i understand that when you mouse over your characters they're filled in green, perhaps instead of that they would flash green for one/two seconds when they finish their action and are idle so that they get the player's attention.

I don't know if that would work because the whole point of characters being idle is they are supposed to be idle. That's what I mean by it being detrimental to rely on user interface help rather than actual animations etc.

If the actual character is idle, most of the time it would be more obvious by the change in stance and animation.

I just think it would clash with how selection circles operate currently. They 'do something' when interacted with, and they are static when they are not.

Edited by Sensuki

yes i think i understand what you mean, the player should know that the idle char is still idle shown with the stance and animation of that char as you suggest. Tbh, i'm not a fan of flasing animations either, that is rather what Bioware is doing with DA3.

What you suggest is highly required, *basic* and should be here already.

-that extends to weapon atk animations as well.

One can hope all those things is something OE is working on right now.

Edited by constantine

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I totally agree that the weapons and the shield should be held up and in front of the character. It makes much more sense and actually looks also nicer. You can watch some Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) sparring videos on youtube to see how the weapons are normally held.

I absolutely agree with this suggestion sensuki

not sure how things work when combat huds are turned on though.

Does the recovery bar deplete first and the character goes idle if the next action is not in the pipeline and the combat hud disappears? I guess that would be a clear indication, at a glance , that a character is idle in combat.

Considering the amount of visual clutter that combat huds add,  i would definitely like to turn those off...and hence would arise the need for separate combat idle and recovery time animations. I mean i would need to know when to issue a command if a character is idle

Would really appreciate some clarification on this matter guys....really been a while since i've played any of the IE games and i'm really just imagining what it would be like playing POE the way current state of affairs stand 

Let me help your imagination:

Combat in PoE will feel like a sloppy mess as opposed to the ancient, outdated & so scorned upon (by some) combat of those games of ages past.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.